Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: thought I found treasure: 189A Adler

thought I found treasure: 189A Adler

I was in a thrift today and saw this Adlermatic. German, cast iron zig zgeer, with extra feet.
    woohooo Till I looked more closely. The timing belt was shredded.
    A few strands were holding, but you can see some above the base. I can't find that anyone sells belts.
    Sigh.Name:  Adler 187 b detail.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  815.7 KBName:  Adler 187 b belt.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  897.2 KB

At least I got this one rotated correctly.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

what kind of belt does it take? there was a guy making the cogged belts that the Pfaff took, and some of these other machines take something very similar.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I think I have tracked this down once before, to a single seller in Germany who has new cleated (cogged?) belts. On the same subject; there are pictures of serviced Adlers with a new type black rubber belt, I guess it's mostly about finding the right dimensions, circumference as well as distance between the coggs.

Here is the place, but looks like it is in France, not Germany. There is a discussion on this on a German forum, if I understand it correctly some track down belts with the right space for the metal clips and then shorten it to a suitable size, both the metal and rubber version, how exactly I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Mickey2; 12-17-2018 at 01:44 PM.

that looks like the same belt as used by the Pfaff - you may want to do some searching on eBay and see if the guy is still making and selling them.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I did some looking last night. My high school German wasn't up to the task. Beyond Peugeot, Motobecane and Renault, my French is sorely lacking, Oui?

I'll try again. I was drained last night.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal