Thread in Tension

Old 03-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Default Thread in Tension

I have a 99-13 knee bar Singer machine. When I thread the machine I can not get the thread to pull through the tension disks easily. The machine seems to sew just fine but again at the end of the seam the top thread is very hard to pull the fabric from in order to cut the thread. Does anyone here know what the problem might be.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:27 PM

Where is the pressor foot? The tension discs are usually closed when the foot is in the down position, this makes the thread hard to pull, When the pressure foot is raised, the tension discs release and it is easier to pull thread. Check and see if the tension discs are moving when you raise and lower the pressor foot. Sometimes thread or dust can get stuck in the tension discs and they need cleaning. Also make sure you have the machine threaded correctly and that none of the threading guides have thread wrapped around them. Is this a problem always, or is it just now that it is happening.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Where is the pressor foot? The tension discs are usually closed when the foot is in the down position, this makes the thread hard to pull, When the pressure foot is raised, the tension discs release and it is easier to pull thread. Check and see if the tension discs are moving when you raise and lower the pressor foot. Sometimes thread or dust can get stuck in the tension discs and they need cleaning. Also make sure you have the machine threaded correctly and that none of the threading guides have thread wrapped around them. Is this a problem always, or is it just now that it is happening.
It is a machine that I have had for some time so I suspect the tension disks need to be cleaned. But I have no ides how to clean the disks. Yes, the presser foot is up when I try to pull the thread through the disks. This is a 99-13 Singer made in 1929. This is the first time I have tried to sew on it.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:25 PM

I didn't watch it all, but I know some have recommended this person's videos, this video about cleaning the 99 thread tensioner at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rioRhSbog6U It does have a numbered dial, which yours may not have. Maybe http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...6-or_2926.html would help.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:31 PM

I thought there was a recent thread about the unnumbered tension assemblies. Right now it is only 10 posts long. Singer 66 tension trouble--perfect going slow, loops fast I think that posts numbered 7, 8 and 9 should help, too.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:44 AM

Before you take the tension apart to clean, look inside the "nose" of the machine. When you raise the presser foot a little lever comes back to release the tension. When you lower the foot, the lever moves forward to close the tension disks. Check that the lever is moving correctly. Make sure that mechanism has been oiled so that it moves back and forth.
bkay
Old 03-29-2021, 02:01 PM

a piece of yarn drawn between the discs many directions. can do a lot towards cleaning them if you are concerned about taking the assembly apart
Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 PM

And make sure the take up bar is at the top.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:44 PM

Every time I read one of these threads requesting help with an older machine, it reminds me of something I need to do to several of my machines. I really appreciate the expertise you guys and gals share so freely.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:04 PM

I've used crochet cotton or waxed dental floss, on occasion, to clean between the discs.