Time to rehome some machines

Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Time to rehome some machines

Wife and I have decided we need to part with some of our least used machines. We're going to start with 4 of the plastic geared Singers.

I've never listed anything on Craigs List for sale and I know a lot of you here have. So can you give me some tips that might help sell these machines?

I know about good clear photos ... of the front ... so that part is not a problem.

Joe
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM

you look at c/l as much as we do, The price is whats going to sell them..

If you have never listed there .. beware of the mail that says "do you still have this" and your add posted 1 hr before.

and the kind that do not ask a question, or really say a thing about the item for sale...if they send a phone number to call, google it first..

C/l is spammer central

on photo's about 6 months ago c/l did something on photo posting, now the photo's I get are so dark most can not be seen , other than there outline... So I would make sure your pic's are very light ..
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

That don't sound too good.

Joe
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Joe, Craig's List is easy....and I've found it to be productive. Watch for the "I'll send you a money order for $3000.00, and you ship the item with my agent, along with the change".

I post with either "1.00 OBO" or "1.00 FIRM'. I post my phone number as "five four 1, nine 7 etc." and I request no text, and I don't allow my email to be used... not even anon.

Photos are important, and tell what you know about the history of the machine.

"This machine was made circa 1967, by the Singer Sewing Machine Company. The machine is a slant shank machine, and I've included the attachments. The machine has been serviced, and stitches nicely." The more you can tell about the machine, the more likely you are to avoid folks that come look, stitch, and you never hear from again. Those that respond to your ad are more likely to be serious shoppers.

And for Pete's sake!! Do NOT say ANYTHING about crappy plastic gears!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

LOL yeah - sell off the ones with plastic gears - if not, you might be able to give them away.... CL is really easy to use. Go in there where it says, 'my account' - You have to set up an 'account' and then you just follow the steps - be sure to post pictures - nothing - NOTHING sells without pictures. Write a decent ad and don't over price your stuff or we WILL post it on the giggles place and poke fun at you... It is hard to figure out who is spamming and who isn't...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 AM

I do wish we had a classifed section one here.....
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Wish I were closer to you, but I'm really looking for an old iron horse.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Not that hard to see which are spammers. you don't need to set up an account... you better off to put your photo on something like photobucket then use there link to post on c/l...

machines do sell with out a photo. or I should say they do if I'm buying ..LOL. but in the case of buying the industrails, I'm not buying a paint job...

Then play it by ear
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM

All my pics will be on photobucket. That way I can kill 'em if the need arises.

Joe
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Joe, There is a Yahoo group that I belong to named 'SewItsForSale' that you can list sewing related items for sale, including machines for no cost to the seller. You can specify, 'pick up only' or ship. I haven't personally bought or sold anything on it but just an idea for you to consider. It seems like a nice bunch of members, but as always caution is advised.