TMI my singer

Old 12-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Default TMI my singer

I have a singer from 1901 I think. It’s missing a couple of required parts. I’m really kinda interested in getting it operational. Not so much on the treadle but maybe on the original electric conversion? I’m new to this forum. I really think I want a W155 but I have probably 500 miles pedaling this machine as a kid. I will try to post a picture
Old 12-09-2018, 06:43 PM

welcome aboard. pictures need to be under 640 pixels or so on the long end. Many of us have machines from then.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:05 PM

This machine has been in the family forever but no one alive can say they ever saw it actually sew anything. Its missing the bobbin cover plate and the presser foot. The number is L884175 the L must locate the model? I have seen many machines from this era that don’t have the same bobbin cover .
Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Ismacs lists it as a Singer 27, serial number issued in 1901. Your machine likely doesn't have a motor boss cast into the right side of the pillar, if so was originally designed as a treadle machine. You may be able to find a Hamilton Beach or similar motor that stands behind the head. The L doesn't indicate the model #, Singer used a letter prefix and a serial number. Many different models were produced under each letter prefix, the model # was designated by the production run and it's corresponding serial numbers.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Welcome. As WIChix said the serial number indicates it is a 27 and indeed many are missing the front slide plate. Fortunately, replacement plates are available. They don't have the same finish but they do make the machine operational. https://shop.sew-classic.com/Slide-C...7-27-55504.htm

A presser foot is available at https://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Sha...5321-45321.htm

As for the 111W155 not having a reverse, if you really need it -- there are several work-a-rounds.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the information wow the parts are cheaper than I expected.

I am missing everything for the presser foot all I have is a shank. It appears I could actually unscrew the mechanism from my modern machine and it might bolt up? I haven’t tried yet.

Im glad I found this forum this is excactly the kind of help I was looking for. Once I get it where I think it will sew I might need a lesson on winding the bobbin but I think YouTube will have that info.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 AM

I have found parts on ebay, model 27 is luckily still reasonably common. There are new replacement bobbins to be found, but the quality on them has varied. Vintage bobbins tend to be trouble free, (they might need a good cleaning though). I have a few times bought new 66 class bobbins and not all of them will go on the winder. I'm not that used to long bobbin machines. I don't mean to discourage you from bying brand new ones, just be aware of issues and as long as you have a few original you will easily spot any problems. I buy both new and vintage accessories from my machine.

You might get surprised by you old 27. I know two people who have taken a 28 (the 3/4 size version of your 27) as their favorite. On of them swear it gave the neatest top stitching on jeans and various fabrics, she had several machines to choose between. The manual for it is on the web, and it probably needs a bit of cleaning and oiling to run nicely again.

On ebay you will find old original parts, and Helen Howes in the UK is an expert at finding the hard to find parts. Model 27 went through some slight changes, so be carefull that parts for the winder and hand wheel is correct. You might like the treadle action, some look particularly for this feature. Early model 27 can be difficult to convert to motor and light, but the later ones that have a screw hole in the body under the hand wheel take a bracket, the same for both hand crank and motor.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 AM

This is the motor boss and screw hole for the crank or motor. It is below the handwheel on many models, but as Micke[ATTACH=CONFIG]605149[/ATTACH]y2 says, your might be old enough not to have it.
Attached Thumbnails singer-boss-b.jpg  
Old 12-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Y’all are correct it doesn’t have a motor boss. It has an electric motor conversion kit on it from many years ago. The back plate is replaced with a plate that has provisions for the motor and a light. The wiring has deteriorated but I can add new wires. I’m looking for a variable speed foot pedal with a plug to accompany the light. It’s already had a conversion and I’m not looking to improve its monetary value. It’s most valuable to me if I can use it for more than a sewing table for my modern machine.
And yes I think I will really like this machine.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:24 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605172[/ATTACH]A shot of the current conversion
Attached Thumbnails 557b1e5e-ce08-48ff-a479-7635ddd8e926.jpeg