Toy machine needs needle

Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Default Toy machine needs needle

I have had a 1940's toy Stitch Mistress sewing machine, as with other toy they are not given very good care. I have recently had it in my sewing room as a decoration and my Granddaughter (8yr ) wants it..."when I go".
I have decided to give it to her now but I need a needle for it. It makes a chain stitch so it does not need a bobbin. Took it to a local repair man and he said that the regular needles are too long. Not knowing much about needles was wondering if I could get some information as to where I could find a shorter needle?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:30 PM

This ebay auction for a Stitch Mistress has a picture of the instruction sheet http://www.ebay.com/itm/STITCH-MISTR...UAAOSw03lY7912 If you zoom in at the bottom it says that it takes standard chain stitch needles that should be available at a sewing machine agency. Not much help.

This page http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/toys/tsmneedles/ lists a Genero Stitch Mistress that takes 15 x 1 needles. Again no help. If you go down to the bottom of that page there is a chart of needles size with length which might help.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Needles

This is my little machine from the 40's. I don't know if yours is similar.
I took a picture of the needle pack that came with it so it may help you find the right size.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Genero Stitch Mistress does indeed take a 15x1
Old 05-07-2017, 02:46 PM

The 15x1 is the "regular" needle, so if the repair guy said it was too long, it's possible it takes the very short Wilcox & Gibbs Needle. (it's not the same as the Singer 24x1) the 15x1 is a quite short needle compared to many vintage sizes.

It's possible the machine was made both in full size and toy, and that is why it's shown as taking the 15x1 needle, but it does not fit the toy machine.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:39 AM

True, but Mama said it was a toy.
I know this is posted over and over again, but I would never give a child a toy machine. They will never grow up wanting to sew. Find a SInger 99 and convert to HC. Now while off that podium...
There are only 2 machines, per se, that take the W& G machine needles WGx64. The W&G and copies/clones of it made by other manufacturers and the Original Express. The Original Express actually takes WGx63 which does not have the groove all the way, but it accepts the WGx64. On the other hand the W&G will not take the WGx63.

I trust the Toy list, but I think it would be best to see a pic.

I checked the ISMACS interchangeable needle list and Stitch Mistress only comes up with the 15x1 and the name only comes up once.
Genero Stitch Mistress [Toy] 15x1 J Y 16 Y AA D 62 10 Y J 705 Sy2020 These are the different designations for the needles for this machine, depending upon the manufacturer. The first and last are what is important now.

It is possible the mechanic did not get the needle all the way up, there is a broken shank in the way or something else.