Is This A True 99K???

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Is This A True 99K???

I got this machine at the thrift store yesterday mainly for $35 because of the beautiful wood dome shaped case. The machine itself if very petite with decals in very nice shape. It does run but needs oil and a good cleaning. The serial number dates this machine to Sept 5 1951 but it just doesn't seem to match up what I think it should be. The tension assembly seems to be one singer used in the early 1900s as well as the stitch regulator, the bobbin winding mechanism doesn't seem to fit the 99K, the sewing foot and screw doesn't look like what I am used to seeing, the motor attachment is one I am not familiar with, the light attachment seems odd and looks like someone angled it off for some reason, the pegs that attach the machine to the case are not familiar to me, the right end of the case also has an unfamiliar way of attaching top to bottom although the other side is like I usually see them. Also, does anyone know the name of the decals on this machine. I think they are quite lovely. I love the dome shaped case but am wondering if the top of the case actually goes with the base.
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-windng.jpg   foot.jpg   tension-assembly.jpg   stitch-regulater.jpg   singer-motor.jpg  

motor-attched-arm.jpg   light-attachment.jpg   case-attachment.jpg   case-attachment-pegs.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM

I have been working on a newer version lately. I know the older ones had the screw type stitch regulator and the older style bobbin winder. Mine came without a case,but I ordered some vintage hinges and got the same thing you have-the barrel hinges. Please don't plug yours in until you replace that power cord!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 AM

It's a genuine 99 - don't know if it's K or not -depends on where it was made. The tension does not look original though.

It's an older one that someone has put a different tension on. The bobbin winder is original. Who know where the foot and screw holding it on came from - they look much newer than the machine.

The lack of inspection plate on the back - I can't recall if the 99 has one or not. I do know that it takes something a bit unusual for mounting the light, but don't recall why . . . just that what works on the 128 does not work on the 99 - or at least not on the one I was dealing with.

Here is mine - someday she may get cleaned up. I'm pretty sure this is US made

This is a newer style - this one is a 99K

And an even newer style - also a 99K

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-26-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM

I also forgot to mention that there is no needle clamp. Would a regular 99 or 66 model needle clamp work on this machine?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 PM

There shouldn't be any problem with the needle clamp. The light doesn't look stock to me. It also looks like someone cut down the bracket and I don't recall seeing a 99 with that style of fixture. I have a 1920s model 99 that has a bracket that wraps up to the top of the machine and drops over the spool pin and has another screw on the back to keep it secure. That one has a metal socket and shade though. Newer ones used the spotlight type fixture that Macybaby shows on her machines. Looks like you need a new screw or nut for the one hinge pin. I know I've seen other 99s from the 50s with the same features like the screw type stitch regulator and tension as yours, I was a little surprised because I thought they were details found on only the older ones. The 66s had already gone to a numbered tension and reversible stitch regulator in the 40s. I'm no expert. I wonder if Singer offered a lower priced 99 with your features and a higher priced model with reverse at the same time. Singer also sold stripped down 99ks as Spartans but I don't know when they started producing those. Mid or late 50s I think.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 AM

The red switch button on the light looks like the modern replacement lamps I've seen for sale. I think it's a genuine 99 or 99K body that's had some replacement parts put on it over the years.

I have a pair of 99K's that are slightly different from each other; they look like they are pretty much identical to the newer two that Macybaby posted. One of them is missing its lamp and I was hoping to find the spotlight style to replace it but all the replacements I can find look more like what's on your machine.

They're darling little machines though - even with replacement parts she's a cutie and I think you'll like sewing on it once you get her all cleaned and happy. I like the decals on yours, mine have the simpler decals but I like the flourishes on yours.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM

I have a 99k and love it,they are great little machines
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 AM

I own one like yours but in better condition. I am so glad you can give the one you are showing a "good" home!! It needs some TLC.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:07 PM

What is the serial number on the machine?

I was under the impression that the filigree decal was only into the 1940s and ismacs seems to confirm that:
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ic-decals.html

Their serial number charts can be read wrong causing some confusion.

The hinge looks about right except that it's pulled out which likely means that the screw that's supposed to secure it to the base is missing - very common.

I also agree, please have the wiring addressed before plugging it in and using it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

The screw that's holding the foot on looks like it goes to a buttonholer.

Cari