Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Using a machine without the table? >

Using a machine without the table?

Using a machine without the table?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 AM

Question Using a machine without the table?

I have an old singer redeye that I am thinking about adding a motor to (if I can-I think it's possible on my model). It's in the original table now but I have no room for it and don't need the treadle bottom if I put the motor on. Does anyone know of an aftermarket base that i can use so that I can just use the machine on a regular table? Has anyone added a motor to a machine like this? I mainly want it for doing thick seams on bags and my featherweight has to be oiled and lubed every time I use it (because I don't use it often). I'm thinking that this one wouldn't have to be since the motor would be modern.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM

You need a base for it, like the bottom on the bent wood cases. Model 66 doesn't have anything to stand on under the base, and the moving parts under the feed dogs and bobbin case will be straight on the table. There are more or less fancy bases for the old machines, and you can have one made. A brand new nice one cost a bit, it's up to the standard of the old Singer bases. You can make a good one your self too, or if you know someone who as the tools. The most cost efficient is to keep the treadle table, it works very well and gives a very good works space in line with the flat bed of the machine. Finding another 66 or 15 in a case with motor and light will probably be just as good an option.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 PM

If you can figure out the base, I have a 66 that was electrified. It was a refurbed 66 redeye. I have the motor and all the bracket stuff I can send to you. I think I have the a foot pedal for it. Mine was in a newer cabinet, so can't help you there. PM me if you get far enough to want to try it and I'll send the stuff to you. (I'm trying to clean out some of my stuff.)

bkay
Old 10-21-2017, 02:41 PM

I didn't pay anything for this machine so I'm not wanting to invest a ton, but as it is, the cabinet is just too big for my space. I wouldn't even mind having it permanently in a table, but just not the one it was in originally. If it's a simple matter of a wooden box sized to fit the machine, my husband and I could probably manage that. I just need to make it so the edges of the machine sit on top, right? And the bottom of the machine where the bobbin goes is down in the box?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:03 PM

It takes a standard base, what was know as full size machine, the same as several of the old cast iron Singer; model 15, 127, 201, maybe even a few later once too. The hinges and fittings for it can vary; so if you go for a used cabinet or case missing the machine double check; empty cabinets and cases turn up now and then.

Even if you didn't pay anything for it, take care of it. It's a very nice machine, and if the machine and cabinet is in nice condition it's a shame to split it up. It's a reasonably common model you will find all you need for it what ever you choose. I have mine in a small fold away table, some of the cabinets doesn't take up much space. The red eye decals are for some reason more popular than others, and not common at all in my area.

If you make a case for it, make it solid; I know you can do it with out too much fuzz. It's difficult to get them as nice as the originals, the new ones available are not made along an assembly line; that's why they cost a lot. A simple case is good enough, polish well well and it will be nice to handle. There are a few tutorials on the web for tips and inspiration, this one looks nice.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-21-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:10 PM

I found this tutorial to try. http://www.theprojectlady.com/2013/0...-tutorial.html
I won't be getting rid of the cabinet. I can keep it in the basement or something.

eta: also found this, right here on this board. Basic Sewing Machine Base Tutorial

Last edited by gale; 10-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:23 PM

If you take the easy solution with the corners use screws, nails often comes loose as the wood dries (it always does). It's not any more difficult to use screws either, and cast iron machines are heavy.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 AM

My son made a base for my Red Eye. It came without the treadle table. We put a hand crank on it and it will soon go the the Sewing Machine Project in Madison, Wisconsin.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I found this tutorial to try. http://www.theprojectlady.com/2013/0...-tutorial.html
I won't be getting rid of the cabinet. I can keep it in the basement or something.

eta: also found this, right here on this board. Basic Sewing Machine Base Tutorial
f22/basic-sewing-machine-base-tutorial-t249942.html
Wow, checked out the project lady, love her bases! Thanks for the link
Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 AM

Gale, so far no one has addressed one issue. If you want to add a motor on a 66 it must have the boss on it to take the motor bracket. It is under the hole under that handwheel and is a protrusions with parallel sides and a hole drilled and threaded in it. A handcrank or a motor bracket has a groove and hole cut into them to mount them to the boss. Pics tomorrow. Some 66s didn't have the boss. That is one reason Featherweights rarely get converted to handcranks.