Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VAlue of antique and vintage machines >

VAlue of antique and vintage machines

VAlue of antique and vintage machines

Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Default VAlue of antique and vintage machines

There was an article in the newspaper this week by 2 (supposedly) antique experts. Someone wanted to know the value of a Howe sewing machine. They told them that most of them are not worth very much regardless of age and condition and suggested that this type of mac. should be insured for $250.00- 350.00 (replacement value). Just a heads up for those of you who might want to know.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

The insurance value sounds about right but the value? The value may be sentimental and the cost will be whatever someone is willing to pay for one. I guess they haven't watched ebay for a good condition Featherweight?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM

If a rare Howe is worth so little, then others must be worth about $100? So much for "experts".
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Sewing machines are not and shouldn't ever be considered an "investment". The experts will tell you that an antique (100 years old) treadle machine in pristine condition is worth at best, $150. Harsh, considering what some of us have paid for our machines, but fact.

The thing is, none of our machines are considered to be "rare" ("rare' is considered to be fewer than 10 known to exist in the world) Some are less common than others, and as such carry more value to some, but go look at the serial number database on Ismacs and look at how many machines were manufactured...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Yup, Charlee is right. That's why I simply won't spend all that much on vintage machines. They are everywhere!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM

I agree with Charlee and Candace-----I buy vintage machines because I really enjoy them----I enjoy the one that "should be used as a boat anchor" as much as the red Featherweight. (and , Yes, I spent much more on the Freatherweight) To me, I enjoy the process of finding them cleaning and getting them running and used again.....They are such Grand machines.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Ditto Charlee. I think that most of us collectors of vintage sewing machines do not collect them because of value or potential value. We collect because of the memories of when we learned to sew on them. We attach our own value to them. And think of all the "old" girls restored to their former glory and giving us the pleasure to sew on them. To me learning the skills of fixing and refurbishing is a relaxing hobby and has added new "skills set" to my mental database.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 AM

To me the "value" in the machines is how they look and operate. I don't mean strictly whether or not all the decals are intact. I mean how the machine looks overall...the lines, how all the components look together, and the decorative touches last. To me, anyhow. What fascinates me is how they operate, and how easy they are to work on. Just the fact that some of them have been sewing for well over 100 years is incredible. The history behind them is worth more than the object itself.

That's my opinion of the value of them.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM

And they are METAL. No telling they may sew for the next 100. I wouldn't bet against it. I still have my old Singer that I bought in 1965, I think. Works great. Not picky on thread .
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Like many things, it seems to be what the seller wants for an item and what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

The standard advice for collectors seems to be: "Buy/collect what you love - the investment value should be secondary"

Remember when some of the Beanie Babies were selling for thousands of dollars?

The value in these machines to me is: do they work well? do I think they are attractive?