Viking Husqvarna Model 6430

Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 AM

Default Viking Husqvarna Model 6430

I ran across this machine at a yard sale and I have no experience with this brand so I left it behind. It had no manual and very few accessories. It did however, have the extension table. In looking at the machine it seems like the bobbin winding mechanism is located at the bottom right hand corner of the machine. Was that the bobbin winding mechanism or something else. Does anyone have this machine that could tell me your experience with it. How available would the manual be and extra parts. I think this machine might also take cams but none were present. She did not give me a price because of the missing parts. Just looking for info in case I might go back and take a second look.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 AM

I had one for over 30 years. Unfortunately, it was a casualty of my last long distance move. Manuals and cams are available on ebay. If it has been sitting for a while, it may have locked up and will not sew in reverse and some of the knobs may no move. Be sure to try it out before buying. Also, you might want to check for someone who can service it locally. I loved that machine.

That is the bobbin winder. One of the things I liked about the machine was that you could wind the bobbin from the threaded needle. These machines are offered frequently on ebay and usually sell for higher prices. I check them out periodically because I would like another one. I still have all my cams, feet, and bobbins -- just in case I find the right one.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 AM

I have a 6440 and a 6430. The manual and accessories are easy enough to acquire.

The main problem with that series of machines is that the fixed gear that the cams slide onto is prone to cracking. It's an easy enough fix, but the gear runs about $75 or so. Another issue is that the grease they used really gets stiff with age, and things don't work right. The two I have had stuck reverse sewing mechanisms that had to be unstuck.