Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Hi! I recently acquired a White 675 machine in a cabinet for free! It is in wonderful shape and runs okay. It does need a tuneup. I don't know any OSMG in my area. Any referrals for a OSMG would be great! This is my first White machine also. I also am in need of the straight stitch needle plate and some feet. The accessory box was lost by former owner. If anyone has source for these, please let me know. Photo below!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by Kirklandquilter; 04-30-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
...The made in occupied Japan machines were well enough made but very poorly adjusted...
It sounds like the Japanese production line was on the hasty side, even if machines and tools were up to the job. Reading posts on this forum and various blogs on the web I think there's more Japanese machines in US than in Europe, not that I have a comprehensive knowlege. I know Japanese developed bicycle parts; gear hubs, hubs and gears in general wasn't always up to the European standard. For long they were generally of a lighter build not up to the use and heavier loads expected of bikes. In comparison, British made Sturmey Archer and German made Fichtel & Sachs 3-4 speed hubs, even the various derailleur brands of the 50s and 60s, had for a very good reason a better reputation than Suntour and Shimano. The forged steel and heavy load parts of a Japanese bike are described as being made for a made of sligther build than people in Europe and America, especially noticeable in the 3 speed hubs. It had of course a lot to do with the competetive marked and pushing prices, and hard to discern facts from fiction in the simplifed comparisons we read 60 years later. It just wasn't always the best quality steel. I don't think Shimano cought up with their 3 speed hub until some point in the 70s, though their derailleur systems had sucess from the 60s and up. There might be some parallel in the world of Sewing machines.

I see the Japanese or Taiwan made models regularly though. Some seem fine, with lots of combined push-dials selectors and ajustment options like medium for the feed dog position when other machinen only have a either up or down option. Compared to todays standard they come off as very sturdy and capable. It's hard to say anything about the parts though. The best forged and hardened steel isn't cheap where ever it is made. Singer seems to have kept a very dependable quality for decades.

European brands ventured into plastics early on, not exlusively, but top models and new technology quickly took to using plastic gears in the free arm versions in the early 50s. Even 40s models have parts made of phenol type plastics like bakelite like hand wheels, stop motion screws, motor pulleys. I lean towards all metal models and easily serviced motors, but some of my favorite machines to work on is the 50s and 60s Bernina free arm models, as well as the Elnagraph cam mechanics for it's fancy stitches. So far I have handed my Berninas in for service and repairs afte cleaning and oiling, I find them a bit too complicated to fully service my self, I might make an attempt soon though :- )

There were lots of sewing machines brands back then, gradually reducing to those still in production to day. It's very fun to discover the models who turn out to be gems well worth the time and effort where ever they were made. I love to compare them and detect their advatages and differences.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-30-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 PM

KirklandQuilter, I like the looks of your White machine. I have never seen one like that before.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Sewbeadit Thanks, it is pretty nice looking and in great condition. Now looking for OSMG in the area. It could use a tuneup, although it works good now.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Lirklander, look for Rodney - I'm not sure where he lives but he might be able to help you.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:25 PM

Hi! I have the exact same machine as yours. Bought it back in the mid 70s and was given the wrong set of cams with it. I was wondering if you have the cams that go with yours and if you do , would you be willing to post a pic of them so I will know what ones i need to look for. Love that machine, toughest thing I own (and I have 6).

Originally Posted by pamibell View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]464942[/ATTACH]
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the world of vintage sewing machines but as I understand this is the place for me and my machine. I got my White Domestic 761 Automatic ZZ/SS (free) from my sister and popped it in a $40 stand off of kijiji. I heard from a fellow vintage machine enthusiast that it was made in 1954 in japan but there seem to be mixed opinions about that online. It has the large letters "GNS" cast into the bottom and "JZ 51637" on the side, if anyone out there is interested in finding more about it. I've been teaching myself to sew on it for 2 years, I love how simple it is and easy to find the problem if something goes wrong. It has a good motor on it that will push through almost anything. It was defiantly worth getting serviced and i hope it outlives me.
I love seeing all the old machines on this thread. I look at all 19 pages. Does anyone know of a database online where you can see old machines? Or maybe a good book on the market to help a young enthusiast get her bearings?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Finding cams can be very tough and not just tough finding them but finding out what cam you need. The machine you were referring to says automatic and I do not see a cam door so it may not even use cams. Can you post a pic?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:43 AM

I'm new here and looking for info on this machine plz help. not even sure if I'm in the right place. this machine was bought for Me and could you point me in the right direction for a manual.
Attached Thumbnails 14753419902621794528255.jpg   1475342203448-11809666.jpg   1475342365680-1846529845.jpg   1475342569777-1791986989.jpg  

Last edited by lissa76; 10-01-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

If you go back through this thread, you will see a generic manual. The knob at the front top is for zig zag, if you want it to lock the size stitch one of the knobs next to it will likely do that. Since it doesn't lock by itself, you can use the knob to vary stitch width as you sew. The knob with the R is your stitch length and the R is a reverse button. If it is not stuck, it pushes the farthest when the knob is all the way on the longest stitches. The bobbin is a class 15 type so any class 15 manual will work for that.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM

i have a fiati pretty sure its a clone of something cant figure out how to post pic on here