Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Thanks John...yes, it is very similar. There's a different stitch regulator, but a lot of the other stuff is the same.

Gosh! Wouldn't it be fun to find one of those badges from some dealer's drawer! I guess that now's the time to put it out there. If anyone has a badge that might be appropriate for this machine, please let me know. I'd really like to find one to cover up the holes and scratches. I still haven't pulled out the machine to look at the underside. Will do soon.

~ Cindy

(Sorry...I don't mean to hog this thread. I'm on a quest. You understand.) The bottom of this machine tells me very little. There are 2 numbers, neither of which have a JA in front of them. There are no markings on the shafts that I can see. The motor is a PREMIER and painted to match the machine head. There's a little tag that looks similar to a GOOD HOUSEKEEPING logo, but isn't, which assures the owner that this is a quality machine and backed by the manufacturer, but doesn't say who the manufacturer is. The holes and flecked paint give clues as to the size and shape of the lost badge. That's all I know. Thanks for all of your help.
    ~ Cindy

If you haven't already done so, you could look for a JA number on the front apron, which is the vertical face below the front edge of the bed. I've seen the JA number there before.
    Mark

Thanks Mark...No JA number there either. BUT! I did find out the model. I believe it is a Brother Window-Matic. It could have had the Brother logo on it, or someone else's..I dunno. If anyone has an extra Brother badge that they'd like to part with, I'm all ears. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let this thread go and, "be free," to others with Japanese clones.
    ~ Cindy

OK, I have seen several references to a "JA" number....what exactly is it? My new to me Morse has some numbers on the apron/skirt of the machine is that what ya'll are referring to?
    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

Yes, Cathie. I think Joe has a list of the JA numbers. I have a partial list also. There are also JC numbers and TA.
    Sweet Caroline

Yep, Joe has a list of the J- A numbers. They can be found in the data page of the Yahoo Japanese Machines page.
    You just got to sign up for it.

Joe

OK checked out my machine
    Morse Lightweight with MOD. R-LAD 20706 on a plate
    I will see if the group I just joined has the list you mentioned.
    Thanks
    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

Coronado Super Deluxe Zig Zag - better pic

I was able to get a better picture of the machine, but the cam area is still blurry and I can't get a decent one. I am fixing this machine so I can use it. Will need cams for it if anyone has any to fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The decisions we make determine the lives that we lead. - The Renaissance Man

I have so enjoyed looking at all of these lovely ladies! I have a passion for these older machines and thought I had enough, but now I want more. This one is my prettiest and she reminds me of my lifetime dream car, which I will never own..so I bought this machine instead! She's fast and as quiet as a zipper!

Blog Entries
    I thought I'd add a couple of mine to this thread... First one is a Bel Air Bantam 33, nice light machine (weighs in at 20 pounds including the case). Second comes "Pauline" (named after original owner) in a lovely pink & white color scheme. Last is the Stradivaro, which was so dirty I almost didn't buy it- but it cleaned up quite well. I have a few others in the "waiting room" but I haven't gotten them into O.R. just yet.
    Name:  BelAir1.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  106.5 KB Name:  Pauline.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  137.2 KB Name:  stradivaro2.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  145.6 KB
    John Moore
    Catonsville, MD
    http://www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by JLMoore3rd View Post
    I thought I'd add a couple of mine to this thread... First one is a Bel Air Bantam 33, nice light machine (weighs in at 20 pounds including the case). Second comes "Pauline" (named after original owner) in a lovely pink & white color scheme. Last is the Stradivaro, which was so dirty I almost didn't buy it- but it cleaned up quite well. I have a few others in the "waiting room" but I haven't gotten them into O.R. just yet.
    Name:  BelAir1.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  106.5 KB Name:  Pauline.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  137.2 KB Name:  stradivaro2.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  145.6 KB
    Great machines!
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Mark, I need a like button.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

love the "universal" great color and ornaments!

I like the Belair. A 99 clone but aluminum. I wouldn't turn down any of them though. All are nice machines.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

New to the forums, this looks like the place to ask about my new CL find. Seems to be the same as some of the models posted here, different badging. The only place I can find reference to country of origin is on the motor (which says Kitchener, Canada). The machine came with next to nothing though and I sadly discovered it's missing the bobbin holder. Anyone know where I can get one and what model I'm looking for. Would also love to find a manual (though it looks like the one in this thread may suffice) and a zig-zag foot, although that's not totally necessary as my wife intends to use it for straight stitches (shirring mostly). Finally, at the risk of being too long winded if anyone can offer cleaning tips I'd be really grateful. There appears to be a serial number stamped into the frame YZ9 2489, if that helps. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Wow Chris77 that is beautiful. It was made in Japan. I have a White with similar colors. Some times clones were sent with no motor and the OSMG put a motor and foot control on it or it is possible someone replaced the motor at some point. We have a lot of info on cleaning and if you read this whole thread I have posted info on finding a generic manual. Here is a thread on cleaning you might enjoy.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t194930.html
    There is info in the sticky notes at the beginning of the vintage section on cleaning up old sewing machines. Muv made some real nice videos. You do need to be careful of the finish. Your's does not look all that dirty from here - I can't even smell it. The lever is for zz and the knobs set it to stay in one place. The cool thing about the lever is you can move the lever as you sew and cause some patterns which are a bit free but kind of fun to do.

It's a Sewmor 900. At least, that's another of the badged names for them. Here's a picture of part of the manual.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/crafty...n/photostream/
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Thanks! Been rummaging around on the forums and have found more stuff that should help as well (lots of it from miriam). Is there also a forum for vintage sewing machine addiction as I may have caught the bug?!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris77 View Post
    ... Is there also a forum for vintage sewing machine addiction as I may have caught the bug?!
    You are in it.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris77 View Post
    Thanks! Been rummaging around on the forums and have found more stuff that should help as well (lots of it from miriam). Is there also a forum for vintage sewing machine addiction as I may have caught the bug?!
    you can look on my profile and look at threads I started.

Quote Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
    It's a Sewmor 900. At least, that's another of the badged names for them. Here's a picture of part of the manual.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/crafty...n/photostream/
    Thanks for the link amcatanzaro! Flickr user craftybean was kind enough to direct me to this link: http://coyotecraft.com/blog/sewmorzz-manual.pdf
    for the complete manual for either the Sewmor/Stitchmaster 900 Zig-Zag series!

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here. I posted a photo of my new vintage machine in another thread, but I figured I'd share it here as well. I don't have a manual for it, not can I find one. I don't know much about it... What I do know is that it's all metal, made in Japan and badged. Oh, and it's funky...
    Name:  emdeko.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  230.4 KB

Anyone know what it's a clone of? I need to get the stitch length button fixed and I have no idea where to even begin to look for possible solutions.

That is so super-graphic, early to mid 1970-s. I can't look away...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Finch View Post
    That is so super-graphic, early to mid 1970-s. I can't look away...
    I couldn't either! It was so me! Now to get the thing working... I am just worried that because there's no manual or model to compare it to, they won't be able to service it.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast