Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM

You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.[/quote]

I thought I had some, but they are 206x13s. Don't even remember what they fit (think senior moment here).
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Hi friends,

I finally caught up my reading on this section up to the current day's posts. . . then I started back at the beginning and am finding that a lot of information I didn't understand the first time is a little more clear now, so this really can be a continual learning experience, like watching a movie more that once, I always pick up something I missed before. Still enjoying the sewing machine parade too!

I have a question that I know has been discussed and answered, but I have been searching for it for several hours this evening and have had no luck.

Could someone refresh me on the answer please. . . .Concerning doing a motorectomy on some of the machines in order to treadle them. . . Am I right in remebering that a class 15 potted motor with a solid handwheel cannot be treadled? or was there a special part that could be added somewhere at the handwheel area that would allow it to be treadled? Maybe it was only changing to a spoked wheel? . . . it just seems to me that particular one can't be treadled. . . I just can't remember for sure what the answer is.

I would appreciate someone helping me get that straight then I will bookmark the info. Thanx for anyone who can help guide me in the right direction. . . I will award you "1000" points. . . . ha. . they aren't anygood for anything but it can be 1000 thank you's. Thanx, Brenda
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Hi friends,

I finally caught up my reading on this section up to the current day's posts. . . then I started back at the beginning and am finding that a lot of information I didn't understand the first time is a little more clear now, so this really can be a continual learning experience, like watching a movie more that once, I always pick up something I missed before. Still enjoying the sewing machine parade too!

I have a question that I know has been discussed and answered, but I have been searching for it for several hours this evening and have had no luck.

Could someone refresh me on the answer please. . . .Concerning doing a motorectomy on some of the machines in order to treadle them. . . Am I right in remebering that a class 15 potted motor with a solid handwheel cannot be treadled? or was there a special part that could be added somewhere at the handwheel area that would allow it to be treadled? Maybe it was only changing to a spoked wheel? . . . it just seems to me that particular one can't be treadled. . . I just can't remember for sure what the answer is.

I would appreciate someone helping me get that straight then I will bookmark the info. Thanx for anyone who can help guide me in the right direction. . . I will award you "1000" points. . . . ha. . they aren't anygood for anything but it can be 1000 thank you's. Thanx, Brenda
I will be watching for the answer to this, myself.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Billy I went to this site and printed it out. It came out the size of a postage stamp. How do I make it bigger so I can read it? Kathie
Kathy what site are you talking about? If it printed out tiny, I'd think that is caused by something on your side? Printer? Computer settings? Did you get it addressed and printed out the right way? You should use "Quote Reply" to copy part of the text you are referring to so we know what you are referring to in your question.

Hope you got it fixed.

Nancy
Nancy it iwas the site that Billy gave us. Sewing Machine historical Trade Literature in Smithsonian Collections. Kahtie
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Looking for info on T18134 Made in ocupied Japan, looks like a singer machine. picked up for $10. I thought it might be used for parts for my singer that I paid $15, with cabinet. Oops i forgot the pic. Theresse
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Glenn;

I've used my new to me FW and although I love the weight, I cannot get Betsy to sew a nice stitch. Just once out of probably 50 times did she sew nicely. Usually, mine skips stitches or makes extra long one or I get mess underneath and forget about the reverse. That cuts the thread like magic. I must say I am disappointed in it. Am going to buy the FW book to see if I can't get it working nicely. I travel for my job so am hoping that Betsy will be my travel companion.
I know a 301 and FW are not the same machine, but when my 301 arrived in January, her tension was good, then it became erratic. I threatened her with banishment to the corner with the Kenmore with the same problem. I oiled the machine excessively and kept sewing. The tension is now perfect and stays well balanced. She just finished her first quilt. Maybe the old girls just need to be used.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM

That red head is so beautiful!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
I am looking to purchase a beige Singer 301. I have noticed that a few of these machines have discloration on the outside casing. Does anyone know if this can be removed by Billy's cleaning process? Someone told me that it was from thee machine being put in sunlight!
Thanks,
Nancy
Quilter711
My tan 301A came with a nasty yellow coating. I assumed AnnieRose had been hanging out with a smoker. A bath in Oxyclean and an old toothbrush and she looks good ( the pink shirt I had on doesn't - I can't get the stain out from the spatter.) No streaks or anything on the machine. She needs a coat of wax, but there's something else I want to do first.

Billy, the cord on my 1952 128 looks good. I haven't checked the internal wiring. I sewed on it at the seller's home, but not here. What should I do before I use it ? Anything? I am scared to death of electricity. Glad you're okay from your encounter.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by no1jan
My question is he says there are attachments. Would they fit my Model 66-2 treadle and what would be a good price to offer for them? I don't know what attachments they are just presser feet.
They will fit. Most of the low shank Singer attachments will fit all the low shank Singer machines machines. Ask to see a photo of the attachments and email it to me and I can give you a ball park figure as to what to offer.

Billy
Well I told the guy I would buy the attachments for $30.00. The way the e-mail went I think the machine is also included, not really sure. I want the attachments.
My Grandmother gave me one like this one, I had it for a couple of years then someone broke into our house stole my husband rifles, and my sewing machine that my grandmother gave me along with some fake jewery and my kirby vacume. I was so hurt that they took my machine since there was sentimental value on that machine. :oops:
Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by quilter711
I am looking to purchase a beige Singer 301. I have noticed that a few of these machines have discloration on the outside casing. Does anyone know if this can be removed by Billy's cleaning process? Someone told me that it was from thee machine being put in sunlight!
Thanks,
Nancy
Quilter711
My tan 301A came with a nasty yellow coating. I assumed AnnieRose had been hanging out with a smoker. A bath in Oxyclean and an old toothbrush and she looks good ( the pink shirt I had on doesn't - I can't get the stain out from the spatter.) No streaks or anything on the machine. She needs a coat of wax, but there's something else I want to do first.

Billy, the cord on my 1952 128 looks good. I haven't checked the internal wiring. I sewed on it at the seller's home, but not here. What should I do before I use it ? Anything? I am scared to death of electricity. Glad you're okay from your encounter.
Irishrose, thank you so much for this info. I think I will try to bid on ebay for one and see if I can clean it up with your tip.