Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1089 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 89 589 989 1039 1079 1088 1089 1090 1099 1139 1189 1589 ... LastLast
Results 27,201 to 27,225 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nellybelle View Post
    Hi:
    A question for you. My daughter has a machine in cabinet that she was given.
    Here are the numbers: JA2 Model 270 k911643.
    It is a New Home. Evidently made by Janome. Can you tell me when it was made - year mostly.
    I have decided it is a "vintage" not an "antique".
    Nellybelle, the JA machines were usually made in Japan. There are no records to date the machine exactly. New Home - a company from 1879 through 1927 - was bought out by Free Sewing Machine Company or was it Free Westinghouse?, but continued to operate as a subsidiary of Free under the New Home Name. Then in 1960 the New Home - subsidiary of Free - was purchased by Janome Sewing Machine Co of Japan. I'd guess her machine is at least a 1960 or later version if it was made by Janome? I think there were some Singer Model 15 clones with the JA in the serial number that are older than 1960 - like the late 40's on, but we still can't date them exactly. You should post a picture, but don't ask me how as I still am not able to post pictures to this group!
    Oh you can call New Home or send the serial number to the New Home Sewing Machine Co, PO Box 25901, Los Angeles 25, California. I don't have the phone number, but someone on here does. The New Home office can date some of their machines through 1955.

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nellybelle View Post
    Hi:
    A question for you. My daughter has a machine in cabinet that she was given.
    Here are the numbers: JA2 Model 270 k911643.
    It is a New Home. Evidently made by Janome. Can you tell me when it was made - year mostly.
    I have decided it is a "vintage" not an "antique".
    Janome has the records for New Home. Call 1-800-631-0183 and give them the serial number and they can tell you what year it was made. You can call Monday thru Friday.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    smokin' buddy with this one...
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2670443243.html

Blog Entries
    NANCY and everyone else having difficulty posting photos,
    For those that are having difficultly posting pictures, it's helpful to reset your settings to "enhanced interface". This then sets up a different format for your reply. The reply section then has a menu above the area to post with bars, (font, size, smilies, and images), that can be used. I found this easy to use after changing my settings. Here are directions to do the change which is taken from another post.

Go to settings--top right; then to general settings--scroll down list on left. Now scroll to Misc settings and check enhanced interface. See below----Make sure to save changes.

Miscellaneous Options

Message Editor Interface:
    • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    • Basic Editor - A simple text box
    • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

After doing this you quick reply box will have more features and one is an image of a picture (looks like a tree) that you click on to upload images. I do not use the go advance, just quick reply. Don't forget to SAVE. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 11-05-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Did you know you can go to the place where a quote originated by clicking the blue arrow thing on the left next to the quote??? WOW I like that - don't have to scroll back!
    Yes, that's a cool feature! also found if at bottom of page just hit the "Top" at the bar on the bottom and it takes you to the top quickly.

Blog Entries
    testName:  Screen shot 2011-11-05 at 10.32.42 AM.png
Views: 715
Size:  1.04 MB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    testName:  Screen shot 2011-11-05 at 10.32.42 AM.png
Views: 715
Size:  1.04 MB
    Monica I already have the 'enhanced' checked. Also I tried the 'quick reply' and I found the icon that says 'image' but how do I get a photo from my desktop to that spot. I tried dragging, that didn't work. I don't get a message asking for the 'image?'

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Name:  Wilcox & Gibbs before.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  1.72 MBName:  W&G closed coffin top redone.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  1.84 MB[IMG][Morse.JPG]
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Monica, for some reason, Nancy's not getting the pop up box for images...I tried to figure it out this morning, didn't work! (I'm just not guru enough!)
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Name:  W&G closed coffin top redone.JPG
Views: 703
Size:  1.84 MBWell it worked sort of! Monica I did what you said, but I had to do an 'edit reply' then go to the 'image' icon to download a photo. I don't know why the second picture appears to be half there - at least on my computer?

Anyway, I was trying to show Bennett, what happens to a cabinet that had been painted black after 50 years or so. The before and after of my Wilcox & Gibbs.

Nancy

The previous post with the ugly cabinet that looks gray - was painted a glossy black at one time - is the original of this now re-finished cabinet!

Yeah! It worked this time - the whole picture came through! Sorry everyone! I will go do some work now!
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-05-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Bennett why don't you strip the cabinet top and restain and finish it? Glenn has a tutorial on here somewhere. I have done that with several cabinets. They come out looking great and I think the wood look will probably last longer than the glossy black look. In fact, we bought a Wheeler & Wilson that someone had painted the cabinet black at one time and painted the irons gold. We stripped the cabinet and completely re-finished it - it came out beautiful!

Nancy
    I refinished my other treadle cabinet, and it is really nice. That is one of the alternatives I'm thinking about too. When (or if!) I get around to this project, I'll be sure to post pictures of what I decide to do.

Name:  Wilcox & Gibbs before.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  1.72 MBName:  W&G closed coffin top redone.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  1.84 MB[IMG][Morse.JPG]
    Okay, if I had something that pretty, I wouldn't dare paint it! How in the world did you get the irons cleaned up?

Blog Entries
    Still not sure if I like this new forum... I really want the auto emails back, but no luck yet. Guess I will keep on trying. I love this shop, but I just had to read 40 pages!!! Just to be caught up! Back to the drawing board... LOL

Blog Entries
    PenniJanine, go back a few posts. I posted this am how to get the e-mail updates!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Okay, if I had something that pretty, I wouldn't dare paint it! How in the world did you get the irons cleaned up?
    DH sandbasted the irons!

Bennett I posted the before and after so you'd see what can be done. We used several cans of stripper to get that black and primer under the black off! It wasn't pretty when we got the cabinet! DH and I sorta had a fight over even taking on this project! Just shows you how beautiful this cabinet was to begin with - once all the paint and gunk came off. Most of those old cabinets will turn out this nice - just takes a lot of work!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness - did that turn out gorgeous or WHAT? Good work!!!
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    PenniJanine, go back a few posts. I posted this am how to get the e-mail updates!

Nancy
    Thanks, Nancy. I just got an email!! YYYEEEEEEHHHAAAAAW!!!

Banned
    THEM'S RARE???? I think I have one somewhere around the garage - full of junk probably - DH swiped it from me.....
    That is the crate that the treadle and cabinet came in, the machine crates were smaller and are easier to find.

Billy

thanks for your info. I was wanting to know than she was. but I shall give her this info.

nellybelle

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
    I like that cabinet and I'm trying to get my husband to take on the project of making me one like it just because he can and it's such an oddity. I like the compact looks of it when all folded up. I keep telling him it would make a really good indoor winter project since he has a heated workshop. We'll see.
    My DH told me this morning that he intends to put a new front on the sewingmachine cabinet and a new "back" on the chair. He has the ability and did very good work, but he is 80 yrs old and has a problem concentrating on any project - so I will just hope and in the meantime, work on just making it look better.

Any one know what the "Add/Edit Tags" thing at bottom of page is for?

Surprised myself, lol. It being the weekend, I went to some yard sales, and was about to say FORGET IT!, when I decided to go ahead and hunt down the last couple on my list. I am really glad I did. Actually, I never found the second one, but who cares, lol. I pulled up and the drive was full of everything, always a good start. I started walking around, and stopped and looked at a 'table'. "Is that a sewing machine cabinet?", I asked. Now, understand that I have four sitting in the family room already, one empty, but don't seem to be able to control myself. I am sure none of you have that problem, right? "Yes, it is, but it also has a machine with it. Would you like to see it?" Sure I would. He opened it up, and I really wasn't expecting much. Long day, nothing good, discouraged, right? But he had a nice little machine in there...green metal, older machine. I asked if it ran, and it did. He got a cord and plugged it in. The owner used to do leather work, and he did it on this machine. So, still figuring it couldn't hurt just to ask how much, I did. $25. SOLD! I also bought a bag of 16 leather stamping tools I knew my gson would be thrilled to get....they aren't cheap....some fancy buttons and three pair of old ladies leather gloves. They loaded my machine up and off I went.

I don't have a manual for the machine, so I started looking on the net for an old Pioneer Precision Sewing Machine. Can't find one. I look over at it sitting there, and LIGHT GOES ON, duh Jacqueline. The machine is green, and my brain must be working in Senior Moment all day long. Picture it black dummy, lol. Picture it saying Singer across the top. It's not quite the same as the non running clone I have (well, haven't tried running the other one yet) but pretty darn close, and I know this one runs....and does leather. I will get a photo and see if I can convince the board to load it. There is a number on the body....E 5732612 and an M in a circle. Also, on the underside of the neck? the initials D.S.M. . In another spot underneath, it says TKM-6. The machine says Pioneer Precision Sewing Machine Reg Pat Off.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I am going to have a cup of coffee and try to update my brain, lol.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

Blog Entries
    Yeah! Nancy got it to work!!!!I think the new system upload of images is better. I think the images look better.
    If your image is too large, you will have to resize before uploading here; so, remember that too just in case you can't get the image to load.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
    I don't have a manual for the machine, so I started looking on the net for an old Pioneer Precision Sewing Machine. Can't find one. I look over at it sitting there, and LIGHT GOES ON, duh Jacqueline. The machine is green, and my brain must be working in Senior Moment all day long. Picture it black dummy, lol. Picture it saying Singer across the top. It's not quite the same as the non running clone I have (well, haven't tried running the other one yet) but pretty darn close, and I know this one runs....and does leather. I will get a photo and see if I can convince the board to load it. There is a number on the body....E 5732612 and an M in a circle. Also, on the underside of the neck? the initials D.S.M. . In another spot underneath, it says TKM-6. The machine says Pioneer Precision Sewing Machine Reg Pat Off.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I am going to have a cup of coffee and try to update my brain, lol.
    Well you know it is a Japanese 15 and the machine is really not for leather but it can sew some heavy material if you play with the tensions. I did a set of door panels for my friends 28 Ford Coupe with my Japanese 15 and it was pushing its limits with the Naugahyde. I will have to dig up the information about the maker of the machine but I think I know who badged it for Precision.

Congratulations on the score!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    This should be a manual for that machine.
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf or two http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...uals/15-91.pdf
    I would use a walking foot sewing machine to sew on very much leather or heavy canvas - there is nothing worse than a bent needle shaft - ask me how I know.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first