Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM

[quote=Kathie S.][quote=denise d][quote=BoJangles][quote=denise d
I too have a 27 and need to learn how to operate it, but
I am afraid of the shuttle and to wind it also. Kathie[/quote]

Kathie, Just follow this tutorial that Donna Kohler made on winding a shuttle bobbin. That was what I did to learn how to wind my bobbin for my Davis NVF. I also only hold the thread and guided it while it is winding, like Donna does towards the end of this tutorial; it winds much better that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-CG8RMU
Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emmah
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, got sidetracked...majorly...by a visit to PA with family and to pick up three...3..sewing machines, two of them treadle and a singer 99k. Attached is the treadle base that I had before that is missing pitman.
Its a wood one, I do not have one but I can see about finding the plans on making the correct one for you.

Billy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

Oh if someone wants a nice 301A that came out of my personal collection then hit the classifieds.......

Billy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
Beautiful Featherweight! By that face plate, you have one of the very oldest!

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deema
Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
Oh she is a beauty!!! I am glad that the tutorials are actually helpful. The basic premise of them can be applied to any vintage machine.

Billy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, Why do you want another Singer 15s? Don't you own a Singer 66s? I wouldn't get another Singer 15, unless it was a Japanese made one. If you are going to just use the machine for piecing or straight stitch quilting use what you already have. If I remember correctly, you own a Davis, a White, a New Home, Pfaff, and some other gorgeous machines that will all will work for you. :)
Monica you are right, I have several really nice machines, but the only treadle I have that has a true reverse and can drop its feed dogs is the 15-88. I am doing all my piecing at home on my Free treadle -- I love that machine, but, when I get to the point of putting on the borders or finishing the top, I want to use a machine that has the capability to back tack. I always backtack my borders so when I either quilt them on my long arm or do free motion the quilt won't come apart. That is the only reason I wanted to get another 15. My 66 does not have a reverse, nor does my 127, 9W, Wheeler & Wilson, Davis, Free, nor my 28. I have my motorized machines that all reverse of course, but I wanted a treadle that has that function. That is why I love my 15-88. It does it all! But, right now I have the feed dogs dropped and it is set up for FM only.

I know, you are going to say our forequilter's did it without reverse! I can stitch in place by holding the fabric back or turning the stitch down to a tiny stitch in place! LOL!~ And you are right of course! Well, I haven't made an offer on the 15-90 - so, I am obviously thinking along the same lines!

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

A 66-18 is a backtack model but do like I do and when you get to the end of the run with the needle up I lift the presserfoot and push the material back a 1/2" and sew back over the previous stitch.

Billy
Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Miz Johnny or Purplefiend, or anyone else who can be of help,

Who made the Majestic sewing machine? New Home or National?
And is New Home just a National?

Here is one on CLs: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2236104979.html

I googled Majestic and some of the cabinets are very pretty, but the machines look older than this one on CLs.
Cooper lists Majestic as being made by New Home. My granddaughter is asleep in the sewing room (where my reference books are), so can't check to see if there are others who made a Majestic.
New Home and National were two separate companies.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Monica, or any one in my area, here is a Model 15-90 that is pretty close to me. I love my 15-88 and really want another 15-88 because, I have mine set up exclusively for free motion quilting. Well, this 15-90, I know can have the motor removed and dropped into a treadle very easily.

What would be a fair price to offer him? I am not going to pay $75 for the machine as I got my 15-88 in her treadle for $45 - and she is in really nice shape.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2235250801.html

Nancy
Nancy, Why do you want another Singer 15s? Don't you own a Singer 66s? I wouldn't get another Singer 15, unless it was a Japanese made one. If you are going to just use the machine for piecing or straight stitch quilting use what you already have. If I remember correctly, you own a Davis, a White, a New Home, Pfaff, and some other gorgeous machines that will all will work for you. :)
I would buy any reasonably priced 15-88, 15-90 or 15-91 I could find, simply because they are such great machines and there's always someone looking to find one. I've had two 15-88s; I traded one off for an older machine I coveted!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Also some featherweight questions. I have the chance to get a white featherweight for a great price, but it's missing it's Singer emblem..Is there a place I can get a replacement (Billy?, anyone?) Also there was a book several members recommended for learning /fixing your featherweights..what is it called?
If you guys could help..I'd really appreciate it. I love this group! Will post photos of my 319w2 soon!
Jane :)
Jane, I wonder how the emblem came up missing? A great book for all featherweight owners is "Freatherweight 221 The Perfect Portable and Its Sitches Across History by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. She gives you some history and all the maintenance information you will need - a really good book to own if you have a FW.

Here is my white FW.

Nancy

1964 White Featherweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133577[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133572.jpe