Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 112 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 111 112 113 122 162 212 612 1112 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

[/quote]
    No I haven't I know that it takes a longer needle and I don't think they make them anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what size it took so I could look on e-bay to find some.[/quote]

(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...34767802tzEOHK)

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    "I just saw a black short bed 301 in the 301 table on craigslist and they were asking $300 for the whole thing, but no attatchments or anything. I also saw the same type 301 in a De Luxe Desk model #42 cabinet with no stool, but with some attatchments and the manual for $95 at a local antique store. Is that a good deal?"

If you have room for the cabinet, I'd think that it was the better deal as long as the cabinet is in good condition. You can remove the 301 from the cabinet by pressing down on the lever on the cradle that holds the machine into the cabinet and then its a portable.
    Sharon
    Thanks, Sharon. Is that a good price, though? I am still trying to talk my hubby into negotiating for me, but he is pretending not to hear what I am saying! Imagine that!
    :lol:
    That's a good price. Just make sure it has the bobbin case as they can be pricy for an original one.
    Ok. I just looked at it again and had them plug it in. It runs! It purred, actually. It said, "Buy me!" but I haven't yet. It comes with a ruffler and other attatchments I couldn't identify, but the manual seemed to cover them. AND A BUTTONHOLER! The case also has a knee lever for the foot pedal. I had never seen one of those before, only the kind that lift the presser foot. And the guy said I could have it for $85. Argh! I want it, but hubby is not on the same page as me. :( I wil keep working on him.

Kas
    He called me and told me to go get it! What a guy! So, it is still in the back of my car, but I will get some pics posted soon. So excited!

Can you tell me how I know if a sewing machine repair/clean person is reliable? I really want to take my FW in for it's 1000 mile check up but I want to be sure that I'm sending her to a good guy/girl. I am new to the town and don't have friends here yet to ask about this person. He works on the machines part time. So he does not have a shop that he works out of. Thanks.
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    Can you tell me how I know if a sewing machine repair/clean person is reliable? I really want to take my FW in for it's 1000 mile check up but I want to be sure that I'm sending her to a good guy/girl. I am new to the town and don't have friends here yet to ask about this person. He works on the machines part time. So he does not have a shop that he works out of. Thanks.
    Sandy
    I'd say if you've read this whole thread and the accompanying ones for it's 1000 mile check up, I'd put together a bunch of questions for him and if he knows the answers at least you know he knows what he's talking about. Hope this helps and good luck.

Blog Entries
    Does this serial ~number/letter~ look like GO or G0, in other words, is it a G with the letter O following it OR a G with the digit 0 following?

Wanting to date it and make sure I am looking at it correctly. Thanks in advance! :D

Singer Red Eye Serial Number
    Name:  Attachment-87945.jpe
Views: 105
Size:  51.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Does this serial ~number/letter~ look like GO or G0, in other words, is it a G with the letter O following it OR a G with the digit 0 following?

Wanting to date it and make sure I am looking at it correctly. Thanks in advance! :D
    I recently got fooled by that 0 too. Look at the very bottom of the list of G series machines, and you'll find that they started putting a 0 (zero) in front of the other numbers in 1923.

Blog Entries
    I think this person might be a kindred spirit! There are some beautiful machines shown here.

http://yakima.craigslist.org/for/1799525587.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster

I recently got fooled by that 0 too. Look at the very bottom of the list of G series machines, and you'll find that they started putting a 0 (zero) in front of the other numbers in 1923.
    Thank you very much Dunster. This is the machine I gave to my very sweet DIL. When I was visiting we looked it up and thought it might be a 1911. I have to order a new motor for it I wanted to be sure. :-D

UPDATE: mmm... I looked it and you are right. Funny, Singer went from what looks like 6 digits in the serial number to 7 digits. One could easily be mistaken in thinking that the move included adding the zero way before they got to 9 9 9 9 9 9 9. When in fact, after they got to 9 9 9 9 9 9 9, they started all over again in numbering with 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.

I am sure it made sense to them at the time. :roll:

I think this person might be a kindred spirit! There are some beautiful machines shown here.

It's a shame she must part with them.
    I hope they all go to loving homes.

Well, I've been doing some research, actually a lot of research. Last week I had posted that I had just gotten a Dearing Treadle machine. From what I have found out, it looks like it was made by National Sewing Machines. For the life of me, I cannot find a manual on it. I would like to know how to thread this machine. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Hi Folks, Sorry to report I won't be able to visit McCall down the Cape. I had some surgery this week and I am not up to it. I hate disappointing you guys so here's some bannana cream pie to go with your coffee. Forgive me. Sharon

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope you recovery quickly.

Here's hoping the sewing machines get adopted by some loving individual(s).

Recover from your surgery quickly and get back to normal. I'm about to have surgery myself and am a bit anxious. Feel well soon!!!

Thanks, guys. She was pretty iffy about her machines. I Don't think she really wants to part with them.I'm sure we can all relate to that. As soon as I can I am going to start on my red eye (it's really bad--Can't wait!

EC
    Quote Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
    Hi Folks, Sorry to report I won't be able to visit McCall down the Cape. I had some surgery this week and I am not up to it. I hate disappointing you guys so here's some bannana cream pie to go with your coffee. Forgive me. Sharon
    Mmmmmmmmm, I love banana cream pie!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara

HI! Want any of those? Wow, I wish she had shown those before... I wish I could get some of those. They look really nice. :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
    You are sew sweet. Thanks. Hope you feel better real soon. :-)

HI! Want any of those? Wow, I wish she had shown those before... I wish I could get some of those. They look really nice. :-D :-D
    Now if I was closer I would really consider one or two or three or all of them. Right now I think I will wait to acquire anymore machines. I have enough on my plate to keep me busy until January. lol

Blog Entries
    Sharon, I hope you recover quickly!! ~hug~

Blog Entries
    When I was out and about on Tuesday, I found a 1901 Model "A" New Home machine...no cabinet, but had the treadle parts...but he wanted $125 for it...so it's still where I saw it at... :(

I did however find an original manual for a 66-16...and I don't have a 66, of any kind! :) Anyone need it?

Nice Red Eye and the decals are beautiful. Enjoy sewing on her they do love to be used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    When I was out and about on Tuesday, I found a 1901 Model "A" New Home machine...no cabinet, but had the treadle parts...but he wanted $125 for it...so it's still where I saw it at... :(

I did however find an original manual for a 66-16...and I don't have a 66, of any kind! :) Anyone need it?

I sent you a PM.

Blog Entries

My DH called about those machines and it's not a she it's a he and he is a collector. Wants to thin out his machines. There's one that caught his eye but Yakima is a long ways away. But still thinking.

Blog Entries
    Charlee or Billy, do you know if a machine model 28 with a Lavincendora decal is a rare one? We found it was born in 1923. Thanks for you help.