Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 AM

I am new to the older machines. I did bring home a singer treadle a few weeks ago and last night finally got up enough nerve to clean the serial number plate. I looked at the singer sn site and if I read it right I have a C series (records lost)-of course. Issued beginning 1918. The serial number on my machine is G598363 but the numbers at singer have more digits. Did I look it up right?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 AM

cabbagepatchkid wrote:

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.

Thanks so much for this link, I ordered the book and am going to watch her videos too!

I looked at the manual and it states that there was a five year warranty, but doesn't say anywhere who made the machine. No company name in the book at all. The manual is crumbling and I think it may be missing a few pages, so I copied it so that I don't have to keep touching it.
I looked in the attachment box and found that the attachments were made by the Greist mfg co.
I found some interesting links about them at the Smithsonian. There is a manual of their attachments and how to use them here:

[url]http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/0215/imagepages/image1.htm[url]

And here is a booklet about machines they made, it says that they also made improved Singer machines-

[url]http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/2710/imagepages/image1.htm[url]

But I still don't know if they made mine or if someone else did. I have a photo of the bobbin, could anyone tell me what kind it is so maybe I can find a few?
And also a photo of the needle in it- it is huge compared to a standard needle made today, I would also like to know what kind it is so I might find a few.

I really appreciate all your help!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157750.jpe   attachment-157751.jpe  
Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Thank you Irishrose, how did you do that? I love taking pictures and sharing, and I love the helpfulness of everyone here. A sweet spirit is so apparent. Because I'm not techno savy, I appreciate the simplicity of these vintage beauties more than than the bell & whistles of my Janome. I can't wait to get her going.
Annie
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Hootannie (page 757) couldn't transfer her pics. Let's see if this works. Billy or others, it's a 15-90 she needs parts for.

Hootannie, I hope you don't mind. These guys love pictures.
Beautiful 15 with the scroll face plate too!

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Here's pics of my new girl. My friend has generously given her to me on an open ended "use her as long as you want" loan.
Quiltncowgirl, you also have a beautiful 15! Love that cabinet with the leaf on the end -- I always need room on the right side for scissors, pins, etc., most vintage cabinets are lacking on the right side!

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
And here's my other girls. The 403 was my Mom's. I inherited it when she passed away in 2007. It means a lot to me in ways I can't begin to describe to have it and be sewing with it. She's named Nancy, after my Mom, of course.

The Featherweight was given to me by my parents Christmas 1972 when I was 12 yrs old. I've lugged her all over the place the last 30+ years, but knew not to ever get rid of her. She's named with my childhood nickname, Sheri.
Quiltncowgirl, I love your 403a and FW! Two of my many favorite type machines! I have a 503a that I love to use for decorative stitches and monogramming!

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I am new to the older machines. I did bring home a singer treadle a few weeks ago and last night finally got up enough nerve to clean the serial number plate. I looked at the singer sn site and if I read it right I have a C series (records lost)-of course. Issued beginning 1918. The serial number on my machine is G598363 but the numbers at singer have more digits. Did I look it up right?
Dirty1mom, I am confused? You say you have a 'C' series, but your serial number is G598363? If you have another machine that is a 'C' series, those began in 1908. If you are talking about one machine and it is G598363, you have a Model 66, born on June 22, 1910.

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JaKnits
cabbagepatchkid wrote:

And also a photo of the needle in it- it is huge compared to a standard needle made today, I would also like to know what kind it is so I might find a few.

I really appreciate all your help!!
That needle looks like a Davis long. There seems to be a few of the very old machines that took longer than normal needles. My New Home is one of them, along with the Singer 9W, and the Davis. I hope Miz Johnny reads this post, as she or Billy probably could shed some light on your machine.

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Quiltncowgirl, I love your 403a and FW! Two of my many favorite type machines! I have a 503a that I love to use for decorative stitches and monogramming!

Nancy
I love them too :) After I left home I bought a cheap Kenmore & always hated using it. Fast forward 20 years to when Mom was sick. I sat down at her machine to do some mending for her & thought I would melt right there. Sewing on her machine felt so right! Mom was going to let me take it home that day if I wanted to. I couldn't - didn't seem right & I waited until after she died a few months later.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all,
Well in addition to my fabulous 319 from the estate sale last weekend, I got my FW in the mail yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but is not sewing, yet:) I need to oil it and make sure the bobbin case finger is in the right place, as well as clean it. It seems there is a lot of gunky ,orangish buildup in the bobbin case area, and essentially all over.I believe it's old oil. What should I use to clean the gunky stuff off. I don't really want to do the entire dismantle , if I don't have to.. What gets this old oil/greasy mess off without damaging the machine or finish?
Thanks much,
Jane
Jane, you can use oil to loosen the hardened oil - just make sure you don't drop the hardened stuff in the machine! You can also use WD 40, but make sure you get it all off when you are done! The outside of the machine can be cleaned with gentle soap and water, Goop Non-pumice, GoJo Non-pumice or I use Blue Magic TR 3 which cleans and waxes the machines. You can even use sewing machine oil to clean all the machine! We also, clean and polish with Scotts Liquid Gold. Be sure to oil all the oil holes and joints!

Nancy