Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by knittersue
hi new at this how do I get to your shop . just found this be mistake thanks is thre a link
This is the "shop"... It's more shop talk than an actual place where you buy things, tho some of our members do sell parts and work on machines for people.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
You guys remember my new Wilcox & Gibbs on page 695? Well, it had been painted black - twice - under that a white or cream, can't tell! I am trying to strip the cabinet to get it back to the original wood, which is very pretty. I am using Glenn's tutorial, but what a pain in the backside! It had so much paint on the cabinet that I am on my second can of stripper. I am finally getting down to the wood, but now there is white paint imbedded in the grain of the wood!

Glenn, will I ever get this cabinet back to the original? Geeze, I can't believe what some people do to these antique cabinets and machines!

On a good note, my Wilcox and Gibbs sews beautifully!

Nancy
It is unfortunate that the cabinet has several layers of paint. This does make it a little more difficult to strip. I find that a paste or thick stripper works better than the watery kind. Paint a thick layer on the finish a section at a time then cover with plastic to keep the stripper from evaporating and leave on for about 40 min. This will keep the stripper moist and to reach deeply into the paint. Most sewing cabinets are not painted and the old shellac stripps easy. If you find paint in the grain of the wood after stripping take a small brass brush, apply stripper and use the brush with the grain of the wood to remove the paint in the grain. This will take time. I just hate it when someone paints over a nice woold finish. Hope this helps but paint is always hard to get out of oak. I am here to help. Glenn
Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by marge
Senior monent,can't remember the sight for the model and date of singer machines. new one EK741405 thanks, Marge
You have a 99K with 50,000 of them allotted on September 13 1955! :D

Billy
Thanks Billy, I tried to look it up but could't get the date and year. also where it was made. You are truely a treasure to all of us.
Marge
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Its funny how that all works. they say everything in time goes in circles. styles, fads, etc......... at one time it was the thing to do, painting everything. now we strip it all off! it is a lot of work, but well worth it!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM

My MIL (long dead now) once told me putting paint on 'drab' wood added a little color to plain peoples lives. I guess I can understand that thinking when you look at it like that. They probably never thought anybody would give a hoot about what they were painting anyway. Oh well, hard work never hurt anybody (especially when you are uncovering a treasure)
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Love your new finds!! I just got a 319W but green. Neat machine!! Also, Happy Belated Birthday to the honorees!! I haven't been on board in a day or two. My two girls came in for the weekend, one due to oral surgery, so I have had to be a mom a little.
Originally Posted by JaneK
So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
Jane
Here is the 319W. I 've been late to post photos of this as I've been busy playing with it! I just love, love, love this machine. It sews beautifully and came with all the attachments, instructions and all the cams for the decorative stitches. Also came in a trapezoid case, that seems to go with my 301's, at least that's where I see them the most frequently. You guys are correct, sometimes the machines find you! I'm a happy gal!
Jane
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D
I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D[/quote]

Purplefiend, I'm an April '58 model, just a year young.[/quote]

You guys are funny!!! LOL

I am a June '51 model.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Ok, OK, So, how lucky am I???? Look at what I got today from an auction for $27..... A 99-13, born in 1928 in Istanbul. This is the last machine I will be able to buy for a while. DH will be not happy about this one, probably!! LOL But he loves me and I don't get my hair or nails done, and I don't go shoe or purse shopping every week. So, maybe he'll be OK. Whatever...too late...I already won it!!! LOL :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123439.jpe  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM

So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
Jane
Here is the 319W. I 've been late to post photos of this as I've been busy playing with it! I just love, love, love this machine. It sews beautifully and came with all the attachments, instructions and all the cams for the decorative stitches. Also came in a trapezoid case, that seems to go with my 301's, at least that's where I see them the most frequently. You guys are correct, sometimes the machines find you! I'm a happy gal!
Jane
Love this machine!!! It's gorgeous!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack

You guys are funny!!! LOL

I am a June '51 model.
Hmmmmm Dont get to close to me I might put you in my collection!! :-P

Billy