Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1170 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 170 670 1070 1120 1160 1169 1170 1171 1180 1220 1270 1670 ... LastLast
Results 29,226 to 29,250 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #29226
    Senior Member Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    761
    I've been playing the last few days. I didn't really mean to, but it started with trying out some Bar Keeper's Friend on the slide plates. Then I figured I needed something to polish up while watching TV, so off came all the little bits for cleaning. Then I couldn't just put her shiny jewelry in a drawer, so she had to be cleaned up. I've never used a shuttle and long bobbin before, but she sews a nice stitch and it wasn't too hard to do. It will be a while before I get her in the treadle to really try her out.

    Singer 27, dated to 1898.

    Name:  before.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  35.6 KB

    Name:  after.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  102.5 KB
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

  2. #29227
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Wpw Bennett - that looks great - those old ladies to clean up for show now don't they! It's even more fun when you get them to sew.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  3. #29228
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Wow Bennett!! What a difference a day makes!! She's beautiful!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  4. #29229
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


    Randa

  5. #29230
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
    Sew Classic is the best!!! Get some bobbins there too - the ones from WM don't hold up. She is shutting down in a day or so for Christmas according to her site - I just put in an order a couple minutes ago.
    Last edited by miriam; 12-20-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  6. #29231
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,550
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bennett you did a wonderful job cleaning this machine, what a difference.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  7. #29232
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
    Ebay or haven't you tried that already?

  8. #29233
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Bennett, You did a beautiful job cleaning up your Tiffany.

  9. #29234
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Wow. This person really thinks he has a treasure. He had originally put this machine on CL as a for trade...so I figured what the heck, I contacted him and he told me he wanted something "electronic". I'm thinking...o.k. what, like a nose hair trimmer? :> Come to find out, he thinks he's got something that's really special if he thinks someone will trade a computer for it. LOL.

    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/2762814534.html

  10. #29235
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Wow. This person really thinks he has a treasure. He had originally put this machine on CL as a for trade...so I figured what the heck, I contacted him and he told me he wanted something "electronic". I'm thinking...o.k. what, like a nose hair trimmer? :> Come to find out, he thinks he's got something that's really special if he thinks someone will trade a computer for it. LOL.

    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/2762814534.html
    Candace, I needed a good laugh. I love it!!! Maybe he can team up with the Amish guy that bought all the plastic sewing machines with no foot pedals...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  11. #29236
    Senior Member Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    761
    Thanks everybody! It is really nice to be able to share these machines with people who appreciate them.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

  12. #29237
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Today, I had some difficultly with the tension on the bottom while quilting with my Daivs. Sometimes it would make very nice stitches and then a section with loops would occur.

    After some trial and error, fixing tension, and practice runs on sample fabrics, I think I know what is the problem.
    The last time this happened to me, I had spray basted the fabrics. This time trying to get this project done in time for Christmas, I spray basted. Man, is that stuff nasty on the lungs. And yes, I had the windows and door wide open. I still smell that stuff. It will be the last time that I use that nasty stuff.

    Well, it's not the tension. I made a sample patch of the fabrics and batting minus the spray basting, and that works well with beautiful stitches. The problem is the tension on the thread from the spray basting. These vintage machines are too sensitive for handling the spray basting. I think they know what is good for us, and it ain't that crappy spray.

    So, if one has used the spray baste and has problems with their stitching, consider the cause from the spray baste.

    So, Now I'm starting over by ripping out the section quilted, separating the layers of fabric and batting, washing them all by hand, and then basting by hand. I doubt this quilt will get done in time for Christmas...oh, well.

  13. #29238
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    I think they know what is good for us, and it ain't that crappy spray.
    :> hehe thanks for the laugh.

  14. #29239
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    824
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Thanks everybody! It is really nice to be able to share these machines with people who appreciate them.
    You did a great job, it is so pretty. Shinning like a Queen. :>)
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  15. #29240
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    I'm way behind (as usual), so if this has been answered, please forgive me. I had one of these, and could NEVER get the plate off. None of the other folks I asked could tell me how to take it off, either, so if you figure it out, please let me know!! I finally sold the machine as it was in a treadle to someone who wanted it for a decoration. I needed it gone, and she wanted it for show.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Does anyone have one of these machines that can tell me if the remaining chrome plate simply slides off, or if there is a small "pin" that holds it in place. The center plate that surrounds the feed dogs has a little metal pin, so it has to be lifted out of place. I don't want to force it either way, just looks like it has a pin "head" showing on the lower right section.

    Thanks,

    Texas Jan
    Miz Johnny

  16. #29241
    Senior Member Phyllis nm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    613
    Blog Entries
    21
    I only use 505 spray or maderia basting with no problems.

  17. #29242
    Senior Member Phyllis nm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    613
    Blog Entries
    21
    I just found this sewing gauge I am going to order. Your machine will have to have the mounting screw holes on the bed. This is the best one I have EVER seen. Watch the video.

    http://www.sailrite.com/Swing-Gauge-Sewing-Fence

  18. #29243
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    824
    Blog Entries
    1
    [QUOTE=Phyllis nm;4799038]I just found this sewing gauge I am going to order. Your machine will have to have the mounting screw holes on the bed. This is the best one I have EVER seen. Watch the video.

    http://www.sailrite.com/Swing-Gauge-Sewing-Fence[/QUOTE

    That is so neat, but I would have to have the magnetic one. I have no screw holes.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  19. #29244
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    I just found this sewing gauge I am going to order. Your machine will have to have the mounting screw holes on the bed. This is the best one I have EVER seen. Watch the video.

    http://www.sailrite.com/Swing-Gauge-Sewing-Fence
    Pretty neat.

  20. #29245
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Does anyone have one of these machines that can tell me if the remaining chrome plate simply slides off, or if there is a small "pin" that holds it in place. The center plate that surrounds the feed dogs has a little metal pin, so it has to be lifted out of place. I don't want to force it either way, just looks like it has a pin "head" showing on the lower right section.

    Thanks,

    Texas Jan
    My 319 has a one piece plate with a pin near the feed. It slides on with a spring clip on the other end then it has to raise and go in that hole - keeps it from shifting.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  21. #29246
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I've been playing the last few days. I didn't really mean to, but it started with trying out some Bar Keeper's Friend on the slide plates. Then I figured I needed something to polish up while watching TV, so off came all the little bits for cleaning. Then I couldn't just put her shiny jewelry in a drawer, so she had to be cleaned up. I've never used a shuttle and long bobbin before, but she sews a nice stitch and it wasn't too hard to do. It will be a while before I get her in the treadle to really try her out.

    Singer 27, dated to 1898.

    Name:  before.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  35.6 KB

    Name:  after.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  102.5 KB
    Now she really looks wonderful!!! Never pass by an old lady machine. She may be a diamond in the rough!! Great Job!!

    Texas Jan

  22. #29247
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    I'm way behind (as usual), so if this has been answered, please forgive me. I had one of these, and could NEVER get the plate off. None of the other folks I asked could tell me how to take it off, either, so if you figure it out, please let me know!! I finally sold the machine as it was in a treadle to someone who wanted it for a decoration. I needed it gone, and she wanted it for show.
    Thanks Miz Johnny. No one else has even had a reply. I've been getting ready for Christmas, so she's just sitting. I don't want to do more damage by prying, so it may get restored "in place".

    Texas Jan

  23. #29248
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    My 319 has a one piece plate with a pin near the feed. It slides on with a spring clip on the other end then it has to raise and go in that hole - keeps it from shifting.
    Thanks Miriam. I'll see if I can check something like that out when I try to get her loose next time.

    Texas Jan

  24. #29249
    Senior Member MrsBoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Ok I just got back from 2 hour road trip to get the cabinet that has been advertized on Craigslist for my Mother's 1952 Pfaff 130. The machine fits perfectly in the cabinet so Candace and a few of you were right - that cabinet was made for the Pfaff! The problem is the cabinet is in great shape, but the hinges/parts that hold the machine in the cabinet are missing. So I can't use the cabinet until I find the parts to hold the machine - so it doesn't fall through! Anyone know where, - besides watching E-bay - I can find parts for the Pfaff cabinet. I need the hinges, screws, anchoring system so the machine can be set into the cabinet and actually closed up when not in use!

    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2757176692.html

    Nancy
    Nancy, your cabinet is the #44, the Hollywood. (Mine is the Californian.) I have the rest of this booklet; if you want a pdf, PM me your email and I'll get it to you. Sorry, I'm no help with the hinges and stuff.

    eta: Wow, the print is small! The caption says:

    No. 44 HOLLYWOOD MODEL Easy! Fast! A flick of your finger turns an important piece of furniture into a beautifully complete sewing cabinet.

    Available in Lime Oak, Black Silver Fox, Walnut and Mahogany. Chair is covered with beautiful, easy-to-clean plastic. Two spacious drawers. Removable spool rack, complete with lid support. Hand-rubbed finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrsBoats; 12-21-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

  25. #29250
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Does anyone have one of these machines that can tell me if the remaining chrome plate simply slides off, or if there is a small "pin" that holds it in place. The center plate that surrounds the feed dogs has a little metal pin, so it has to be lifted out of place. I don't want to force it either way, just looks like it has a pin "head" showing on the lower right section.

    Thanks,

    Texas Jan
    Texas Jan, I was hoping someone else that owns a Singer 9W or Wheeler & Wilson would have come to your rescue by now. My Singer 9W sits behind my Christmas tree right now; so, I can't get to it to inspect it. And I can't recall how or if I removed this plate while cleaning this area.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.