Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, I got my first fiddle base this morning. I will post pictures later, my DH has the camera!

I am not sure what this machine is - it is from 1889, and I think it is a Model VS 2. It has the 'rose and cornflower' decal. I have another one to clean up and refinish the cabinet!!!!!!!

Anyway, I got a puzzle box and a second wooden box of attachments with odd's and ends in it, like a White bobbin and a W&W bobbin along with attachments.

I paid $65 for the whole thing - it is missing the coffin top.

Nancy
Wow... I'd have jumped at it... lol. LOVELY. I'm so glad that there's a bunch of us 'saving the oldies' so to speak.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tgm sewing kitty
Oh gee that is a nice looking sm! Very nice! :)
Like your 'quilt inspector' on your avatar picture!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM

I have seen postings with the actual date of "birth" given. Where do you look to determine that? My serial # had an allotment of 8000 on 11/11/1936 and the next allotment of 201's was 3/17/1937 so would I just assume I fall between those dates?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Turns out, it's a 15-91 in nice condition other than the electric cords all falling apart. And get this... it's blackside. Her AG379228 S/N shows she was part of the series from March 1942... a 'war' machine. A cool piece of history.

Okay everyone... what should I name my 'new' gal?
What was the name of the person that did not get the machine? Maybe call her that? You will love this machine!
Nancy
Gosh, I don't know who the other person was...

In thinking about the war time history... I thought of maybe calling her "Rosie" after the famous "Rosie the Riveter" War Effort posters. But then I thought about one of Bob Hope's female sidekicks of USO fame: singer Frances Langford. Frances Langford went on to marry the heir to Evenrude (I think) engines and settled here in Florida, not to far away from where my husband and I live. Francis... eh hem.... or "Ms Langford"???? Francis Langford was known for having that elusive quality called, "class". Well, this machine has a touch of class too... or she will after I get her cleaned up.

Bob Hope and Francis Langford USO
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132232[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132227.jpe   attachment-132228.jpe  
Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I have seen postings with the actual date of "birth" given. Where do you look to determine that? My serial # had an allotment of 8000 on 11/11/1936 and the next allotment of 201's was 3/17/1937 so would I just assume I fall between those dates?
The date on singers site (if those are the S/N's you're looking at) are allotment dates. As I understand it, that's the date that that particular allotment was 'started'... But, in answer to the 'ending' date portion of your question, I believe they manufactured different machines in batches. So the end date of possible manufacture of your 201, is not the date of the next batch of 201's, but the next date of the very next batch, no matter what kind of machine it was. Note that the S/N's were simply assigned in sequencial order no matter what type, kind of machine it was.

There's a lot of folks who simply reference the allotment start date as the exact birthdate of their machine. Not necessarily so. In fact, likely not. That new to me 15-91 I just got, has an allotment date of 3/2/42. My actual S/N falls towards the middle of that run, therefore it probably wasn't produced exactly on the 2nd. But I can tell based on the next batch's allotment date, that my machine rolled off the factory lines in the month of March of 1942... even if I can't pinpoint the exact date it would have done so.

All ya'all correct me if I'm wrong now...
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Wow Billy, I did not realize that Singer started making the 66 in 1902! That would explain why Kathie's 1909 is a side clamp and most everyone else on here with a 19teen something or very early 1920's machine has a back clamp.
Nancy, I have one Singer 66-1 from 1914 made in Scotland with a back clamp. I also have a 1907 66-1 made in the States with a back clamp.
If it helps, I have a 66-6 from 1926 with a side clamp and my neighbor has a 66-1 Red head (red eye) with a side clamp also. Which astonished me.... but she says that she's never 'messed with tha thing' so it's unlikely it was changed out.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by ssgramma
The date on singers site (if those are the S/N's you're looking at) are allotment dates. As I understand it, that's the date that that particular allotment was 'started'... But, in answer to the 'ending' date portion of your question, I believe they manufactured different machines in batches. So the end date of possible manufacture of your 201, is not the date of the next batch of 201's, but the next date of the very next batch, no matter what kind of machine it was. Note that the S/N's were simply assigned in sequencial order no matter what type, kind of machine it was.

There's a lot of folks who simply reference the allotment start date as the exact birthdate of their machine. Not necessarily so. In fact, likely not. That new to me 15-91 I just got, has an allotment date of 3/2/42. My actual S/N falls towards the middle of that run, therefore it probably wasn't produced exactly on the 2nd. But I can tell based on the next batch's allotment date, that my machine rolled off the factory lines in the month of March of 1942... even if I can't pinpoint the exact date it would have done so.

All ya'all correct me if I'm wrong now...
That makes more sense now! Thanks :-)
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm still high from getting my 'fix' today. Went to an auction and came home with a 1902 Singer Model 27 in a unique oak cabinet (in good shape) a few little pit marks on the head but my paint pen will take care of them. Not sure what the decals are. She's dirty but everything moves freely. Best part is tucked away in one of the drawers was one of the oak puzzel boxes full of the original attachments for this machine. There were 200 alloted April 7, 1902. I'm a happy camper just wonder where I'm gonna put the old gal.....
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30 PM

She sewed with the Betsy Ross, so I can't imagine it being a toy machine.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Well, I got my first fiddle base this morning. I will post pictures later, my DH has the camera!

I am not sure what this machine is - it is from 1889, and I think it is a Model VS 2. It has the 'rose and cornflower' decal. I have another one to clean up and refinish the cabinet!!!!!!!

Anyway, I got a puzzle box and a second wooden box of attachments with odd's and ends in it, like a White bobbin and a W&W bobbin along with attachments.

I paid $65 for the whole thing - it is missing the coffin top.

Nancy
Nancy, I am envious, I want one too. I am looking forward to pictures on this one. Kathie