Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM

I have a 301, but not sure if it is the long or short bed. Anyone have the measurments on one so I can tell?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Until I started on this board I had no idea that there were still so many nice vintage machines around, some for a song!
I love it!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter
Obviously it is a Damascus. It does nothave the belt needed to make the machine work, but my goal is tohave itinthe room, place some quilts draped on the table, and soak in all the good memories I have of my mom and my first memories of her Singer machine. Thanks for looking and I will snap more pics.....
Just totally a keeper hubby. And those decals are just super
!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Isn't that the truth, FarmStitcher?! You just never know where you will find 'em either! The hunt is fun! I've had three machine given to me, just because I talked about what I'd like to have. Another I found on Craigslist, one from Goodwill for $20 and one from "Days Gone By" a little thrift/antique store next town over. Hmmm...I know I have 9...where did the others come from?? LOL! Hard to keep track! I should write a short history of each I have, also, like someone mentioned earlier. Anyway, they are great fun, but to me the most fun is doing the cleaning, oiling, restoration to get them back to working condition!!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Isn't that the truth, FarmStitcher?! You just never know where you will find 'em either! The hunt is fun! I've had three machine given to me, just because I talked about what I'd like to have. Another I found on Craigslist, one from Goodwill for $20 and one from "Days Gone By" a little thrift/antique store next town over. Hmmm...I know I have 9...where did the others come from?? LOL! Hard to keep track! I should write a short history of each I have, also, like someone mentioned earlier. Anyway, they are great fun, but to me the most fun is doing the cleaning, oiling, restoration to get them back to working condition!!
It's funny how they seem to muliply when you aren't looking. I have 13 and still seem to find more that just appear in my garage.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Yes, I did have the needle plate..OfF ...and ON .. and on.. I went in about 20 mins ago...told the machine..You die after this last try..

so I moved it to where I thought it would work..and DANGNABBIT ALL TO 'ELL.... I got it all back together..... it now fits...
I guess that machine knew that you meant business :mrgreen: !!!!!!!
LOL Cathy! That is funny.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Opened up the model 27 and I don't have any idea what the decals are called. They are still on but there are very few of them. Not ornate at all like some you see. I did notice the pitman is wood and the irons are in good shape. Everything just needs a good cleaning and oiled. My pics aren't very good but I'll post anyway.
Weedwoman, I haven't seen that decal. Is this the 1902 machine? A wood pitman usually means it is a pre 1900 machine. The machine is very pretty and looks like it is in great shape except for the decals silvering, which is common.

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I have a 301, but not sure if it is the long or short bed. Anyone have the measurments on one so I can tell?
That's a question I asked not 2 months ago! lol...

First of all, both the short-bed and the long-bed 301s are exactly the same except for the part Singer called the Sewing Bed Extension (the flippy foldy piece). From what I have been told, that means that either model will actually fit nicely in the 301 special mounting plate/carriage 'cause the base of the machine is the same.

BUT... the short and long bed extensions will not obviously fit the same surface on the table or cabinet. (unless someone has after-market created a lexan or wood,etc. cutout... )

The Bed Extension for a short-bed machine measures two-and-three-quarter inches across, and a long-bed (called a long deck by old-time Singer collectors like Bill over at vintagesingers yahoo group) is exactly twice that at five-and-one-half inches.

The overall lengths of the machines are sixteen-and-one-quarter inches and nineteen-and-one-eighth inches.

If you're planning on using an existing table or cabinet, measure the opening and you will be able to figure out which machine will fit.

Billy or others will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.... ! Hope this helps! LOVE my 301 short bed...
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Opened up the model 27 and I don't have any idea what the decals are called. They are still on but there are very few of them. Not ornate at all like some you see. I did notice the pitman is wood and the irons are in good shape. Everything just needs a good cleaning and oiled. My pics aren't very good but I'll post anyway.
Weedwoman, I haven't seen that decal. Is this the 1902 machine? A wood pitman usually means it is a pre 1900 machine. The machine is very pretty and looks like it is in great shape except for the decals silvering, which is common.

Nancy
I don't know what it is either... but then I'm a newbie to treadles. But I don't remembering seeing this at Ismacs site. I could be wrong though... it is very pretty. I like it.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
No, it's a 28. As far as I know, the VS 3 and 27 are one and the same. Anyone??
I believe it's the same decal as your machine. This is an older 3/4 sized machine, so could be from the same time period. When I get it, we'll compare serial numbers to see.
I will have to find the site, but I remember reading that the VS 2 was the last fiddle base in that style, followed by the VS 3, which was a rectangular base, then the 28 came after the VS 3. But, you are probably right, the VS 3 and the 27 are probably the same - for some reason I was thinking that the VS 3 was a smaller machine like the 3/4 size 28.

Nancy