Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1231 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 231 731 1131 1181 1221 1230 1231 1232 1241 1281 1331 1731 ... LastLast
Results 30,751 to 30,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #30751
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I have a Davis Model D that has the same type of friction motor and is a similar looking machine. The motor flips to store under the arm of the machine to put the lid on the case.
    Melinda

  2. #30752
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Jan, YOU ROCK!! Thanks so much!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  3. #30753
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Miriam,

    You are going to love Ray's class and Ray, too. He is a fantastic teacher.

    Cathy


    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'm facing up to it Nancy - I am planning to take Ray's class in the spring.... I want to fill in my gaps. I feel like I have a LOT to learn. Machines are collecting in my shop for spring. I just hope I have time to do them. Love them and re-home them I guess.

  4. #30754
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I have a Davis Model D that has the same type of friction motor and is a similar looking machine. The motor flips to store under the arm of the machine to put the lid on the case.
    Genius! Who would have thought it!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  5. #30755
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Joe Miller:
    Have you thought about this company for your brush caps? They will make them custom for you if they don't already have them...
    http://www.phoenixelectric.com/CustomBrushHolders.html
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  6. #30756
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Charlee,

    I have never heard of that company. Never run across it on any searches either. Thanks for the link, I just finished emailing them with the same photos I posted on the forum. Here's hoping.

    Joe

  7. #30757
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hope it works for you Joe!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  8. #30758
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    We had my 301, a plastic Singer maybe 20 years old and a fancy new machine whose 1/4" was set by pushing a button. Our blocks were all perfect when we put the quilt together.

    Yay for our little 301s!! I do just love mine...dead on accurate, and the seam line is soooo straight! I just finished a queen sized top, and it came out to exactly the size the pattern said it would. And I sewed 85% of it on my 301. AWESOME!!

  9. #30759
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I have a Davis Model D that has the same type of friction motor and is a similar looking machine. The motor flips to store under the arm of the machine to put the lid on the case.

    My 1917 Western Electric has that same type of motor that swings around, plus that exact same wooden case. It was made by National and badged for W.E. I saw another identical machine at our guild's quilt show, and it had another name on it, but same machine & case. I think yours' is a slightly newer National badged Mansion.

  10. #30760
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Here's another sad one:

    http://bloomington.craigslist.org/art/2845465039.html

    I hate to see them do this to an old metal sewing machine. Why can't they do it to the new plastic ones instead?!
    Oh that's just stupid!!

  11. #30761
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Miriam, regarding the cleaning of machines and needing/or not the kerosene bath: When I got my 1890 Davis VF machine it was gunked up really good with old sticky oil. All I did was use new sewing machine oil to liberally coat all the moving parts and let it sit for a while, then wiped them all clean with rags, Qtips, floss, etc., and literally all the gunk came off. I took off the slide plates and the face plate and cleaned all under them, same way. She moves smoothly and does a great stitch.

    I have to agree with you...it has to be a really really sad, rusty mess to need total stripping down.

  12. #30762
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    I couldn't agree more! There's NO reason to totally tear down and strip a machine if it's moving, or can be made to move!! You're asking for trouble, IMO....besides some of the cleaners being harsh on the paint and decals!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  13. #30763
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    The machine I probably should tear completely down is Mr. Rusty. A sad little 99K I got free for nothing because he was rusted tight. By all the debris inside I'll bet he was caught in a flood. When I got him the bobbin was still all threaded up and the needle was still there. All rusted. Using G96 gun cleaning solvent, then Liquid Wrench, and a lot of labor I've freed him up and have most of the bottom parts out for deeper cleaning. For the top and the main shaft I am going to give that a kerosene or diesel flushing in the near future. There is just no way to flush out the rest of the debris and rust without a lot of liquid to do the flushing.
    Rusty is another of my junk machines I just can't stand to see go to waste. I was going to part him out but now that I'm getting him freed up, I think I'll make a hand crank machine out of him. That aughta be fun.

    Joe

  14. #30764
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Randa, the only walking foot that actually fits (and isn't the original Penguin foot) can be found at Aprils store http://www.april1930s.com/html/walki...herweight.html

    I wish there would be similar, narrow foot for the 301! But, alas there isn't:<
    I purchased a walking foot for the FW 221 from Quiltgal and I couldn't get it to fit. Then I contacted April1930s and we corresponded a bit...she mentioned to me that the thread cutter has to come off. Today I went back to the FW, took the thread cutter off and put the walking foot on with no problem!!! I played a bit and thought it's not going to work cuz the needle hole in the walking foot didn't align exactly with the needle hole in the plate, but I began to sew and it works wonderfully!! So....don't throw the walking foot away...try it again after removing the thread cutter!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


    Randa

  15. #30765
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Here's another sad one:

    http://bloomington.craigslist.org/art/2845465039.html

    I hate to see them do this to an old metal sewing machine. Why can't they do it to the new plastic ones instead?!
    I think its because they are of the mindset that nobody would ever want to sew with such old machines, therefore they have no value. Its just sad.

  16. #30766
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    The machine I probably should tear completely down is Mr. Rusty. A sad little 99K I got free for nothing because he was rusted tight. By all the debris inside I'll bet he was caught in a flood. When I got him the bobbin was still all threaded up and the needle was still there. All rusted. Using G96 gun cleaning solvent, then Liquid Wrench, and a lot of labor I've freed him up and have most of the bottom parts out for deeper cleaning. For the top and the main shaft I am going to give that a kerosene or diesel flushing in the near future. There is just no way to flush out the rest of the debris and rust without a lot of liquid to do the flushing.
    Rusty is another of my junk machines I just can't stand to see go to waste. I was going to part him out but now that I'm getting him freed up, I think I'll make a hand crank machine out of him. That aughta be fun.

    Joe
    A couple years ago I got 10 machines from a flood. The best 2 were an old Singer 66 and a Universal (15 clone) Just liberally brushed on some kerosene and it cleaned up the debris. There was some rust but it cleaned up just fine. Never did have to take it apart all that much. Others on here like to hand crank those old 99s. What do you do for a bobbin winder and hand wheel?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  17. #30767
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Miriam,

    Places like Sew-Classic sell spoked hand wheels and the hand crank kits. Once installed you use your original bobbin winder. They drive off the wheel just like before.

    Do you have any parts left from any of the machines? I'm looking for a rotary oscillator, a thread take-up lever assembly and feed dog screw for my 99K.
    I could also use a motor and wiring assembly for it if you had any.
    And I need a motor for a 66-18.

    OK, that's enough mooching.

    I took Rusty apart as far as I have because I had to get the rust out of all the joints and connections. One of those things that if I didn't have to, I wouldn't have.

    Joe

  18. #30768
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

    Places like Sew-Classic sell spoked hand wheels and the hand crank kits. Once installed you use your original bobbin winder. They drive off the wheel just like before.

    Do you have any parts left from any of the machines? I'm looking for a rotary oscillator, a thread take-up lever assembly and feed dog screw for my 99K.
    I could also use a motor and wiring assembly for it if you had any.
    And I need a motor for a 66-18.

    OK, that's enough mooching.

    I took Rusty apart as far as I have because I had to get the rust out of all the joints and connections. One of those things that if I didn't have to, I wouldn't have.

    Joe
    I don't have much for parts, I might have a motor lamp and wiring from a 99 I made into a HC - it had a bent shaft and seemed to like HC better than the motor - sold it. I have a couple 66s I wanted to HC but there is no motor boss. One just has a hole - probably someone tapped it to mount the motor.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  19. #30769
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I don't have much for parts, I might have a motor lamp and wiring from a 99 I made into a HC - it had a bent shaft and seemed to like HC better than the motor - sold it. I have a couple 66s I wanted to HC but there is no motor boss. One just has a hole - probably someone tapped it to mount the motor.
    Oops. I put the lamp on DGDs Spartan.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  20. #30770
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    "Places like Sew-Classic sell spoked hand wheels and the hand crank kits. Once installed you use your original bobbin winder. They drive off the wheel just like before."
    Nope some of the bobbin winders do not go from a small balance wheel to a larger balance wheel. Not that simple all the time.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  21. #30771
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    I purchased a walking foot for the FW 221 from Quiltgal and I couldn't get it to fit. Then I contacted April1930s and we corresponded a bit...she mentioned to me that the thread cutter has to come off. Today I went back to the FW, took the thread cutter off and put the walking foot on with no problem!!! I played a bit and thought it's not going to work cuz the needle hole in the walking foot didn't align exactly with the needle hole in the plate, but I began to sew and it works wonderfully!! So....don't throw the walking foot away...try it again after removing the thread cutter!
    Congratulations Randa! Now tell us what you are going to sew with a walking foot on the FW? I am so glad you figured out how to use the thing. I have a Pfaff 1222e with a built in walking foot and my Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) that walks the fabric so I don't need to use a walking foot on the FW, but I am curious as to what you are going to sew using the FW walking foot - and how you like using it?

    Nancy

  22. #30772
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

    Places like Sew-Classic sell spoked hand wheels and the hand crank kits. Once installed you use your original bobbin winder. They drive off the wheel just like before.

    Do you have any parts left from any of the machines? I'm looking for a rotary oscillator, a thread take-up lever assembly and feed dog screw for my 99K.
    I could also use a motor and wiring assembly for it if you had any.
    And I need a motor for a 66-18.

    OK, that's enough mooching.

    I took Rusty apart as far as I have because I had to get the rust out of all the joints and connections. One of those things that if I didn't have to, I wouldn't have.

    Joe
    Joe, most of us, or at least a lot of us on here, get rid of the motors anyway (motorectomy). We turn the 99's and 66's into either treadles or hand cranks like Miriam said.

    Nancy

  23. #30773
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    The cost could be close to the same - replace the motor - buy a hand crank - put it on empty irons...........
    How do you HC a 66 with no motor boss? I'm thinking it would have to find some irons. I have 2 redeye - need to go.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  24. #30774
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Yay for our little 301s!! I do just love mine...dead on accurate, and the seam line is soooo straight! I just finished a queen sized top, and it came out to exactly the size the pattern said it would. And I sewed 85% of it on my 301. AWESOME!!
    Janice, did you see the ad on Craigslist yesterday for a black 301 in a cabinet with a ton of attachments, buttonholers, walking foot, etc.? The guy posted the ad in both English and Spanish and said "make offer." I had a Mystery Block of the Month yesterday. When I got back, I looked in Craigslist and the ad was already gone! Go figure! I hope someone on here got the machine with all the loot!

    Nancy

  25. #30775
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    The cost could be close to the same - replace the motor - buy a hand crank - put it on empty irons...........
    How do you HC a 66 with no motor boss? I'm thinking it would have to find some irons. I have 2 redeye - need to go.
    I don't think you can put a HC on a 66 with no motor boss? I have been lucky all 3 of my 66's have a motor boss!

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.