Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Check that the presser bar is tightened and adjust the little hand screw on the top, above the lever and make sure it is turning at all to put the pressure needed. Too loose will give you nothing, and too tight will pucker the fabric's tail off. Also there is a spring on the presser bar. Open the face and look at it and check for functionality.

Originally Posted by emmah
I need help! I got a nice Singer Spartan (the no-frills 99) and have cleaned and oiled it...but the presser foot doesn't clamp down tight on the feed dogs. It has a lot of "play" in it and so the fabric doesn't move well no matter what stitch length I set it on. Other than that it runs very nicely, quiet and smooth. Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've just bought a Featherweight! I saw one on Ebay that looks as if it's in good condition, from a seller with a 100% rating, and it's a 1953, like me, so I decided that maybe that was a good omen! I've thought about getting one a few times, but never got around to it, or there were none available when I looked. I've recently been using my Mum's late 60s Husqvarna and loved its solidity and reliability, but she's not about to part with that, so as I could do with a lightweight machine, I decided to take the plunge.
You don't have a pic of your Mum's Husqy do you?? I have a Husqvarna, but not sure of it's date. I figure it's about mid 60's but would love to have a pic to compare it to.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Hi l have just looked at my machine and the screw is to the back so l am a back clamper is that right thank you l am still so happy that l have these machines l only have the one treadle though no room for more as yet????????
Elsie Blight
Australia
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM

You people are such enablers. I just bought the New Home Ruby by phone. I haven't even seen a picture of the machine just the cabinet. The seller says it doesn't have the tension on the top like the picture I found and she has sewn on it. If she wasn't on dial up, I would have asked her to email a picture.

I hate $$$ or best offer. I never know how much less to offer. When I sell something, even a house, it's $$$ firm.

It's only a mile from the location of the wedding. Was that an omen that I should go get it? I haven't sewn on a treadle in 50 years.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
You people are such enablers. I just bought the New Home Ruby by phone. I haven't even seen a picture of the machine just the cabinet. The seller says it doesn't have the tension on the top like the picture I found and she has sewn on it. If she wasn't on dial up, I would have asked her to email a picture.

I hate $$$ or best offer. I never know how much less to offer. When I sell something, even a house, it's $$$ firm.

It's only a mile from the location of the wedding. Was that an omen that I should go get it? I haven't sewn on a treadle in 50 years.
It is like riding bike once you know how you never forget how to ride. Enjoy your new treadle. Glenn
Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Question...Do those of you who have a 66 set the thread spool on the top pin with the thread coming from the back of the spool or from the front of the spool? Then it goes to the left toward the little hook.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Question...Do those of you who have a 66 set the thread spool on the top pin with the thread coming from the back of the spool or from the front of the spool? Then it goes to the left toward the little hook.
I really never thought about that. I look at the spool to see which way it unwinds with the least curls. Usually on the back to go to left of the hook. I have been sewing on my 66-1 for years and never had a problem either way. Glenn
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

I doubt if it makes a difference, but I couldn't find a photo clear enough to see. Maybe someone else knows if there's a right or wrong way.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

I need information on a 1928 Singer 99-13. It didn't come with power cord or controller. It is in a bentwood case, but no key. I have been searching and searching for a picture of the key I need, but can't find one.

I also see that some of the 99-13s came with a knee controller and some with a foot controller. How do I tell which one I have?

HELP!!! :-) Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
I doubt if it makes a difference, but I couldn't find a photo clear enough to see. Maybe someone else knows if there's a right or wrong way.
I looked in my manual the thread comes off counter clock wise but like you think it will make no diff. Glenn