Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
I need help! I got a nice Singer Spartan (the no-frills 99) and have cleaned and oiled it...but the presser foot doesn't clamp down tight on the feed dogs. It has a lot of "play" in it and so the fabric doesn't move well no matter what stitch length I set it on. Other than that it runs very nicely, quiet and smooth. Any suggestions?
Couldn't wait for help, so applied logic. I took apart the presser foot mechanism and found that there were two springs inside a tube that had become entwined together. Twisted them apart and re inserted them in the tube, and...tada......presser foot now clamps down. (Guess I am getting braver in my old age.)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Thought you all might like to see how my GFs and I are spending the first night of a long weekend!!
can i come play with you? that looks like fun!!!!! i wish i had someone close that loved these old gals as much as me!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 AM

It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171294.jpe  
Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 AM

I need help! I got a nice Singer Spartan (the no-frills 99) and have cleaned and oiled it...but the presser foot doesn't clamp down tight on the feed dogs. It has a lot of "play" in it and so the fabric doesn't move well no matter what stitch length I set it on. Other than that it runs very nicely, quiet and smooth. Any suggestions?
Couldn't wait for help, so applied logic. I took apart the presser foot mechanism and found that there were two springs inside a tube that had become entwined together. Twisted them apart and re inserted them in the tube, and...tada......presser foot now clamps down. (Guess I am getting braver in my old age.)
Thanks for sharing that! It will be good to know!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 AM

I saw this on craigslist yesterday. I sent an email asking the brand of the mcahine. Guy said he has no idea what it is. For $25.00 I am waiting to hear from him again about going to look at it. What do any of you think?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171320.bmp  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 AM

I say go for it. It looks like it is all there, and working on these is really fun.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I saw this on craigslist yesterday. I sent an email asking the brand of the mcahine. Guy said he has no idea what it is. For $25.00 I am waiting to hear from him again about going to look at it. What do any of you think?
I'm not sure but it could be a Davis or a Franklin. I am going by the way the lid raises up with the lever. Also the curve of the cabinet. When you find out let us know.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be offensive, but GF was busy and into everything that she was capable of doing. She had a massive heart-attack at 56. She was diagnosed with it. It's not a bad thing, she just ignored the diagnoses. Like you, she just wanted to get things done.
Cherrybsixty, I think you are quite charming - never offensive! Geeze, it is hard to get your feelings across sometimes when only typing! I actually thought it was funny!

Sorry to hear about GF - that is very young for a heart attack!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Hi l have just looked at my machine and the screw is to the back so l am a back clamper is that right thank you l am still so happy that l have these machines l only have the one treadle though no room for more as yet????????
Elsie Blight
Australia
Elsie, yes if the screw is on the back, you have a back clamping machine, which means it has to be older than 1921!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Thought you all might like to see how my GFs and I are spending the first night of a long weekend!!
Miz Johnny, I want to join you -- that looks like great fun!

Nancy