Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I just got a call from our local thrift store owner and she has a Necchi Alco, that was all she knew. I can't get there today and she is closed Sunday and Monday so I'll have to check it out on Tuesday. Do any of you have an experience w/the Alco model? What about price? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie M.
A friend of mine was cleaning out her parents house, after her dad passed away, and came across her mother's SM which is the Necchi Alco. I did a little research for her and it almost sounds as if the Alco was a lower budget machine. Some of the Necchi models are really popular and go for high prices so maybe you will be able to get a good price for the one at the thrift shop. I love it that your thrift shop notifies you when a machine comes in :-D
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
. . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J.
Yes they are cute and fun to repaint, but they weigh a ton!!

Billy
Did you paint this one, Billy? That shade of pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol :mrgreen: but it did come out really nice. I have a 185 and they do weight a TON :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
What a beauty! Sharon, I was just on e-bay looking at the 221's. When you purchase on e-bay and they state that the machine is in working order, how does one know if it really is? Lucy
You have to be really careful who you are buying a SM from, on eBay. I bought a FW and the bobbin winder was snapped off when it arrived.

I also bought a model 28 with a beautiful Bentwood case. I asked the seller if he would ship the case separate from the machine and he said, no, he knew what he was doing and never had any problems as long as he took the spool pin off so that it wouldn't punch a hole in the case. :roll: When the machine arrived the beautiful case was now in a million pieces and the wooden box that the machine sat in was also broken.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]
Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
I just got home with a Singer featherweight 221-1. It's in good shape with the case and attachments. I paid 300.00 do you think I paid too much? It was a silent auction at a thrift store so it went to a good cause. Where do I find the "birthday" info. The serial number starts AG82...isn't that what you look up?
Thanks
I paid more than that for my first one, but learned how to do a full service on it, then sold for more than I paid for it, so it wasn't overpriced for me!!
Yep, my first one was $300 plus tax, and I was happy to get it for that price as it is a 1935 model!

Nancy
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Hi Billy,
I am so glad you have this post.
I have a old sewing machine and cabnet that I bought from a friend in need of some money, paid 75.00 for it, 20 years ago
I have always wondered about it. Never really knew were or who to go to, I would love to know more about it, I have it sitting in my studio. I would love to see if it could ever be restored and maybe sew something on it one day!
This machine is just so pretty to me !
Richmond on the front, very hard to read , on back The Charles Williams Store NY, I have a box of attachments with it, internet has not been any help !!!
I am thinking it is from 1928-or older.
In this photo it is in storage waiting for me to get my studio finished, I will send better photos as soon as I can get them uploaded.
Thanks Marie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175822.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by qltndog
Originally Posted by qltndog
Billy, you told someone that owned a FW not to use Liquid Gold on it but to use carnuba wax. I have seen waxes with carnuba wax but with other ingredients. What brand/name should I look for? Also, I have a 301A. Should I use Liquid Gold on that or the carnuba wax. Thanks
Joni
Megiuers is the brand that I use. Its a pure carnuba wax and nothing but. I would use it on the 301 also. Liquid Gold is my little secret for hiding the crazing of the older finishes and it shines them up really well.

Billy
YES!!! THE MEGUIARS WAX WAS IN THE GARAGE. MY SON ALSO HAS THE CLEANER (STEP 1) AND THE POLISH (STEP 2). SO, CAN I USE THE CLEANER AND POLISH TOO? OR SHOULD I STICK WITH THE GOOP HAND CLEANER. (ALSO IN GARAGE.)
THANKS
Go Jo (non pumice) for the cleaning of the finish. If you use a cleaner type of wax the decals will come off.

Billy
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Billy
Did you paint this one, Billy? That shade of pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol :mrgreen: but it did come out really nice. I have a 185 and they do weight a TON :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yep, it is a Barbie Pink and I did it for one of our members 8yo daughters Christmas present. From what I hear she loves it!!

I have another 185K like it that I am going to repaint and sell but I am wondering what color to shoot it.

Billy
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Moz

Originally Posted by mama2josh
So this is not exactly a vintage machine, but I did get it when I bought an old machine. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Tara
I'm just reading along and not near the end of the posts, so forgive if this has been answered. This little device is for marking patterns. The dart dots, etc. There should be a little recesses top and bottom for chalk bits that fit in. You place it over your fabric and pattern at the same time, squeeze it shut and wiggle the arm side to side a bit to make marks on the upper and lower fabric pieces...you have to make a hole through your paper pattern where the dot is so it can mark the top too :).
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The 185J may be small and cute, but they're every bit as heavy as a 99.
What a great way for sewers to keep those flabby arms toned, Miz Johnny! :mrgreen:
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Billy
Yep, it is a Barbie Pink and I did it for one of our members 8yo daughters Christmas present. From what I hear she loves it!!

I have another 185K like it that I am going to repaint and sell but I am wondering what color to shoot it.

Billy
I vote for lemon yellow!!