Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM

I have the "Instructions for using Singer Sewing Machine No. 127-3, Vibrating Shuttle for Family Use" A green paper pamphlet type booklet with the big familiar red "S" in the middle. Has the date of 1912 at the lower middle of the cover. I thought it was earlier then 1912 but then, I had never actually looked. This is the first time I've ever opened the booklet. When I went to get it, I noticed that the accessory box was there, and all the accessories were in the bottom drawer, loose, and looks like they need to be all polished up - there is even extra needles and a new belt for the machine. It also has little wheels on the four feet.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfw045
Ok, call me impatient........had to take a picture with my phone. Will try to get a better one with my digital next time...lol. Wondering how long this is going to take to load on dial up.
LOL Impatient!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it and the funny thing is I saw one somewhere on CL today for $100 in a cabinet. As soon as I saw it I thought of you and darned if I forgot where it was. I really like the machine and I think you will love it!!

And your photography is wonderful!!

Billy
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gingerella
I have the "Instructions for using Singer Sewing Machine No. 127-3, Vibrating Shuttle for Family Use" A green paper pamphlet type booklet with the big familiar red "S" in the middle. Has the date of 1912 at the lower middle of the cover. I thought it was earlier then 1912 but then, I had never actually looked. This is the first time I've ever opened the booklet. When I went to get it, I noticed that the accessory box was there, and all the accessories were in the bottom drawer, loose, and looks like they need to be all polished up - there is even extra needles and a new belt for the machine. It also has little wheels on the four feet.
Sounds like you having fun over there snooping around in the drawers! :-D I am so glad you have the manual for it and the box with all of the accessories! But you know I rarely see the accessories for a machine that old with out some sort of rust on them. I guess if I was that old I would be a little rusty too...... :roll:

Nothing some naval jelly and elbow grease cant fix. Oh and the nice thing is the machine uses the standard 15x1 needles so you are good there. When you get a chance take the shuttle plates off and without it being threaded turn the handwheel and watch how everything works. It is really neat. And when it is threaded and ready to sew pull the shuttle plates back off and watch it make a stitch. The VS machines are sooo cool to watch.

Billy
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM

If anyone is in NY, or near enough to travel, this item on Ebay might be a real good deal, but it is pick up only. I was just cruising through the pre 1930 stuff and ran across it. It says there are five or six vintage machines. Only 11 hours to go on the auction though. so hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SINGER-SEWIN...item3effd9a54b
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy or Charlee, is a 1975 Bernina 830 vintage or just out of range? I would like to learn to clean it myself.
Bring that baby on!!!!

When I do the Tutorial about the later machines (my 500A will be the victim) It will cover everything you need to know about how to do the general cleaning, oiling , and tune up that these shops want to break the bank on.

You machine fits right in the cut off for the shop because after the mid 70's they started to lean towards plastic cases and circuit boards.

Billy
I've been out of the shop too long, I see. It doubled in size while I was napping!

I will be waiting for this information, also. My new machine, a Viking, is one of the last made with cams - and I want to be able to take care of it. You are right, Billy. They want an arm and a leg to service it... But it's a good solid metal machine.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
If anyone is in NY, or near enough to travel, this item on Ebay might be a real good deal, but it is pick up only. I was just cruising through the pre 1930 stuff and ran across it. It says there are five or six vintage machines. Only 11 hours to go on the auction though. so hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SINGER-SEWIN...item3effd9a54b
They kinda want a little too much for what is seen even though there is a Model 101 in the first photo! If they would have shown everything in the photos your bidding on they might sell them.

3 hours left and no bids

Billy
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM

I am so upset. I missed out on a 1909 Pfaff Hand Crank on Eaby :-(
Hugs
April
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I've been out of the shop too long, I see. It doubled in size while I was napping!

I will be waiting for this information, also. My new machine, a Viking, is one of the last made with cams - and I want to be able to take care of it. You are right, Billy. They want an arm and a leg to service it... But it's a good solid metal machine.
I am going to pull it out of the cabinet today (500A) and I will start tinkering with it later this week. And yes a tutorial will be done on it. I also have to do the tute on assembly which is going to be huge, over 60 photos if I remember correctly. But that will be tonite or tomorrow.

Billy
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

April any handcrank is a good handcrank to have!!! But you never see any early Pfaffs out there hardly so that would have put you in a league of your own!!!

Billy
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
April any handcrank is a good handcrank to have!!! But you never see any early Pfaffs out there hardly so that would have put you in a league of your own!!!

Billy
That is exactly what I thought Billy. Hubby told me to go ahead and bid on it but with shipping it was up to over $300. I am kicking myself in the hiney for not going a bit higher lol
Hugs
April