Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 AM

dltaylor, Featherweights appear to be going up in price. If the machine runs, and it should, that is a decent price.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
I have been offered to purchase a Vintage Singer machine. Can you experts out there tell me what you think?? The man wants 200.00 for the machine? Is it worth it?
I have 4 Featherweights and in my neck of the woods, you can't find one for under $250 unless something is wrong with the machine! If it is complete, sews, has the case - go for it!

Nancy
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have a chance to get a Bel Air machine with all acc. for $100. It is portable. I am not faimiliar with that brand. Can anyone tell me about it, please. Kathie
Kathie, do a search here. There are a few pictured that people here saw or bought. Also, on page 877 Miz Johnny said she had a couple Bel Air machines. Does it look like a 99 or full sized?

Nancy

PS Kathie, I'd offer a lot less.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by amBoo
I just got a very rusty Singer 20 toy machine. I've been doing a bit of surface cleaning but don't want to damage it. It has pitting on the chrome, etc. How do I go about cleaning things like tiny rusty springs and the gears? Is this a candidate for the kerosene bath? I've read about using oxalic acid for cleaning rust from chrome. I'm not sure if the spokes on the wheel are (were) chrome or could they have been nickel plated? I'd appreciate any advice. Does anyone know where I could find the booklet online for this?
Thanks!
Nancy
Amboo, here is Billy's Cleaning Tutorial. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

He used on this one, kerosene, Goop (non-pumice), brass and chrome cleaner, Liquid Gold, oil, and lots of elbow grease. There is a part 1 and part 3 to these tutorials if you do a search here.

That little machine is really cute too!

Nancy
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply. That is a great tutorial. As soon as the weather is half decent and I can spend some time outdoors, this little machine will have a nice kerosene soak. It's already looking better just using Gojo, metal polish and elbow grease. I don't want to get too vigorous and wear the finish off and I'm not confident enough to take it apart. Pretty sure I'd never get all the little pieces back where they belong! Stock tip: buy into the companies that make q-tips and cotton balls! I've really been going through them.

Nancy
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Boy the shop has been really busy this spring. Everyday i have pages to read and great machines are getting rescued. Are we creating our own price increases by introducing so many people to the wonders of these machines?

I have been pondering, what happens to the stools or chairs that go with cabinets? Were they originally sold with the cabinets or was it a seperate expense? If a cabinet has a matching stool, how much more are you willing to pay for that?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have a chance to get a Bel Air machine with all acc. for $100. It is portable. I am not faimiliar with that brand. Can anyone tell me about it, please. Kathie
Kathie, do a search here. Nancy
Kathie;
I have a Bel Air that's made in Japan. Believe she's a 15 or 66 clone. She is heavy, that I can tell you. I paid $25 but no manual or attachments. Attached is her picture.

The name is Federal on top of harp but on the side under stitch regulator she does say Bel Air.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177805[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177799.jpe  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM

I am stuck in the land of indecision. I am a new sewer. I am looking at buying either a Singer 301 or Singer 401. They are both in OK condition (they sew but will need to be cleaned etc) and they are both around $125. I can't afford to buy both.

Please help me decide: which would you choose and why?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 AM

I could not pass it up...so I brought it...thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by lkwon
I am stuck in the land of indecision. I am a new sewer. I am looking at buying either a Singer 301 or Singer 401. They are both in OK condition (they sew but will need to be cleaned etc) and they are both around $125. I can't afford to buy both.

Please help me decide: which would you choose and why?
Personally, I love the 301 machines. Is it a long bed? I really don't know anything about the 401. I am sure you will be happy with either one.