Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmycats
IIs there any way to get the musty smell out of the older Singer machines. I'm still holding on to the original cases. But the smell gets to my asthma. Any good suggestions would be appreciated and I'm thanking all in advance. Blessings, Nancy
Welcome to the forum!!
Are you saying the smell is on the machine or in the case? If the odor is on the machine it might just need a really good cleaning, inside and out, to get all of the old oil and grease off. If the odor is in the case then it may be mildew.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Wow, $40.00 for this pretty one. Wish I lived in Arkansas. Seems like a good deal. Well, I guess a link would help..... http://littlerock.craigslist.org/atq/2312088274.html
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Hi Billy, hope you feel better.

Can you tell me about treadles and should they make a clank when treadling?

I'm not sure if anyone has adressed how to adjust them or if you can.

Could someone help please.
I am a couple pages behind so maybe this has been addressed already, but have you greased your treadle joints? The only treadle I have that comes close to making a clanking sound is my Davis Vertical Feed. The more I use the treadle, the better she does; but, I have had to grease her irons a few times.

Nancy
The pitman rods have ball bearing joints that have to stay packed with grease. My fancy parlor cabinet treadle did a lot of clunking when I got it. It helped to tighten up the big nut on the forked piece that goes to the pitman, so there was less play in it, as well as keep everything well greased. Now it clunks a lot less, and if I keep my feet balanced left and right on the treadle pad just right, I get no clunking at all...
Thank you thank you what type of grease do you use?
I used Singer grease because it was all I had, but now I have Triflow grease and will probably switch to that for my machines. It contains some teflon additive, which is supposed to be good. I bought it from an online vendor-- maybe SewClassic?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM

How quickly we become addicted to the older machines! I've only had my 301 since January, but when AnnieRose malfunctioned earlier today, I panicked. Miss Elna would eat the tiny triangles I am using make stars on my grandson's quilt to take to B'Rahan. He's being deployed and I want to send a quilt. I need to get back to it if I need to deliver it the 23rd.

Oh, AnnieRose's bobbin thread came out of the little fingers that guide it so the tension was way off. Easy fix, rethread the bobbin and she's sewed for hours since.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iluvmycats
I'm pretty new to this Quilting Board and I'm sure that this question has been addressed numerous times but I don't have time to go thru all 915 pages. Is there any way to get the musty smell out of the older Singer machines. I have a 221 and just purchased a 301A that I love and am using for my quilting. The 301 is not in the case because I'm sewing with it and I have to purchase a new case for the 221. I'm still holding on to the original cases. But the smell gets to my asthma. Any good suggestions would be appreciated and I'm thanking all in advance. Blessings, Nancy
My featherweight box stunk to high heaven, too. It made the machine stink so bad I couldn't have it in the house for a while. I got rid of most of the stink by wiping down the inside of the box really well with diluted bleach (and made myself sick in the process-- hate bleach!) Then I left it out in the sun, open for several days. I also close up some Odor Eaters shoe inserts in the box. For the machine, I just cleaned it real well with GoJo and waxed it a bit with clear boot polish and it smells much better.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Farmstitcher, I really admire your avatar. I'd love to put that picture in my sewing room. You wouldn't have a 8 X 10 copy laying around any place?

Also, wondering if any one would know what size motor belt a Necchi Nova would take?

Judy
Judy, I really don't know just where I found that picture and I'm hoping it is not copywrited! I'm just using it as an avatar. If I can find it again I could give you the link so you could make a copy of it. I'll let you know if I find it again.

Doesn't your Necchi Nova have an existing belt on it with a number? There are so many different belt makers out there with different types of belts. It would help if you also had a parts list for it. Sorry, can't help you there.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Billy...Sooo glad you are doing this format. Can you please tell me what the difference is between the FW 221 and the 222. I am finding the 222s to be waaaay more expensive (fewer made or fewer still around?)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Jan, your machine is beautiful, and your purse is so unique. Never saw anything like it. Do you know if the purses were made to sell or whether it was a promotional item?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Robin, what a great find, and the price is unbelievable. I checked at the thrift store the other day and the lady told me that they rarely get machines in and when they do they go quickly. I'll keep looking though.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 PM

I bought a necchi model bu at the thrift store today -- wondering if anyone can help me find more information on it