Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1385 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 385 885 1285 1335 1375 1384 1385 1386 1395 1435 1485 ... LastLast
Results 34,601 to 34,625 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #34601
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Janis go to this ISMACS site and you will see all the class 99's broken down. The very first 99 was the 99k1 made in 1911 to model a 66, but only 3/4's the size of a 66. It is a lot of fun to research our machines and learn about them! I think all of us get excited when we learn about our machines! http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html

    Nany
    From what I read there earlier in the day, my 1924 Singer 99 might be a 16 or 17, because it is an electric portable with a carrying case. It has the solid hand wheel like the 99-13. It could be the 99-10 as that one is portable, but doesn't say anything about being electric.
    I've tried to read what l can on these old machines and enjoy learning all I can about them. I did read in the book, AFTER I printed a new one that " Under no circumstances must the screw EE be loosened." OOPS, I did and took the latch off so I could clean out under the bobbin case. I did sew with it after, and it did OK, so maybe I didn't do anything so bad. I'm hoping!

  2. #34602
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Dan, you want me to take my camera shopping with me, right? I've not seen one of the coat factory machines, but the tables were big and thick with a hefty looking treadle. My daughter tried to get me to buy one for my little 301. No thank you, darlin'.

    Nancy, I don't know my machines - only my precious Elna and what I've recently learned about some other vintage ones here. I have to work at the church tomorrow so I will get the Pfaff out and get a better look. No, I don't think it has the IDT foot. The New Home is a 1984 and I have a 1978 MW. It looks to be in that range, but I could be way off. I'll try to get a picture if the camera will stay charged that long. I suspect I need a new battery. I may as well pull the Touch and Sew and see if it sews, too. There's no sense storing machines that don't do their thing.

  3. #34603
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've been busy. My sister is in town. We spent a bunch of time in the shop. Spent half the day just looking and never saw it all... scary... We've been cleaning up a couple of the old ladies. I took one 1970s Singer to work and gave it to Lisa - she is a sweet little black lady and she always brightens my day when I have to go to that store. She went wild - she is so expressive... It was turquoise (the one she lost was turquoise) and it did zig zag. She says she is going to put lace on a hankie for when she goes to church so she can wave it in the air. Then I found a couple 301s so I cleaned them up - both run beautifully. We fixed up an Alden's (Japanese 15) very nice turquoise color - well maybe it is green? We worked on a couple old 185s tensions. I shot pics of some Singer 15s with potted motors. One of them is really going to be grand when I get it fixed up - it is all in black. I cleaned up the Cinderella - very interesting - Outside I would have thought a 15 clone. Under it is for sure not a 15 clone - I didn't pull her in half... She runs like a bulldozer - LOUD. Her case is miserable... I'm thinking about building her a box and putting her somewhere that I can see her all the time. She shined up nice. We got that pink and gray looking mighty purty. I need to get some kind of box for shipping a sewing machine... It is getting over due. Any ideas where you find a nice box - maybe one inside another.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  4. #34604
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'm whipped. William's daughters got here on Monday, they're wonderful ladies!

    Today, they took off for Idaho to visit with Grandma, so I chose this time to strip and refinish a cabinet for my 403. Spent all day today stripping and sanding...tonight I stained it.

    Off to bed...a rarity for me this early!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  5. #34605
    Senior Member Mom3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    suburb of Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
    Have never owned a Singer but as of today I do!!!! Now I need help to identify it and you all know I am fairly new at this. There was a $30.00 price on it. I offered $20.00 and he said yes. After getting it home and plugging it it (it purr's) was going to put thread on it but to my surprise the peg that holds the thread is not there. Any solutions? Also there is no book with it so need to find some reading material. In the picture of the backside there is a large hole. What is suppose to be there? The number on it is AL119834. Seems like I had another question but now I can't remember what it was.

    After leaving that yard sale and a few later I found a buttonhole attachment for a Singer for $1.00. May not work but what the heck. If anyone can help me out here I would be so very happy and Thanks!!
    I've used a plastic zip tie, cut off, for a spool pin - works great!

    https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+ties&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm =isch&ei=anu0T-rOIc-K6QGwiaEH&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CMUB EPwFKAE&biw=1280&bih=620


    Shari

  6. #34606
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've been busy. My sister is in town. We spent a bunch of time in the shop. Spent half the day just looking and never saw it all... scary... We've been cleaning up a couple of the old ladies. I took one 1970s Singer to work and gave it to Lisa - she is a sweet little black lady and she always brightens my day when I have to go to that store. She went wild - she is so expressive... It was turquoise (the one she lost was turquoise) and it did zig zag. She says she is going to put lace on a hankie for when she goes to church so she can wave it in the air. Then I found a couple 301s so I cleaned them up - both run beautifully. We fixed up an Alden's (Japanese 15) very nice turquoise color - well maybe it is green? We worked on a couple old 185s tensions. I shot pics of some Singer 15s with potted motors. One of them is really going to be grand when I get it fixed up - it is all in black. I cleaned up the Cinderella - very interesting - Outside I would have thought a 15 clone. Under it is for sure not a 15 clone - I didn't pull her in half... She runs like a bulldozer - LOUD. Her case is miserable... I'm thinking about building her a box and putting her somewhere that I can see her all the time. She shined up nice. We got that pink and gray looking mighty purty. I need to get some kind of box for shipping a sewing machine... It is getting over due. Any ideas where you find a nice box - maybe one inside another.
    Miriam, sounds like a fun day! I've only shipped one machine and I bought a brand new box for it at the local box/mailing store. Why a brand new box? Well, I didn't know this, but UPS won't insure boxes sent that have been shipped or used before. They figure the integrity of the box is in question and won't insure the contents....so I had to buy a new box and that way they'd insure it for up to $100 included in the cost of shipping.

  7. #34607
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Miriam, sounds like a fun day! I've only shipped one machine and I bought a brand new box for it at the local box/mailing store. Why a brand new box? Well, I didn't know this, but UPS won't insure boxes sent that have been shipped or used before. They figure the integrity of the box is in question and won't insure the contents....so I had to buy a new box and that way they'd insure it for up to $100 included in the cost of shipping.
    Ok, thanks, I think you are making sense. I can do that pretty easily. Did you put a box inside a box? I think that would be safer.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  8. #34608
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm whipped. William's daughters got here on Monday, they're wonderful ladies!

    Today, they took off for Idaho to visit with Grandma, so I chose this time to strip and refinish a cabinet for my 403. Spent all day today stripping and sanding...tonight I stained it.

    Off to bed...a rarity for me this early!!
    Geeze, Charlee I was thinking you have been awfully quiet lately! Now we know why! What part of Idaho are they heading for?

    Nancy

  9. #34609
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've been busy. My sister is in town. We spent a bunch of time in the shop. Spent half the day just looking and never saw it all... scary... We've been cleaning up a couple of the old ladies. I took one 1970s Singer to work and gave it to Lisa - she is a sweet little black lady and she always brightens my day when I have to go to that store. She went wild - she is so expressive... It was turquoise (the one she lost was turquoise) and it did zig zag. She says she is going to put lace on a hankie for when she goes to church so she can wave it in the air. Then I found a couple 301s so I cleaned them up - both run beautifully. We fixed up an Alden's (Japanese 15) very nice turquoise color - well maybe it is green? We worked on a couple old 185s tensions. I shot pics of some Singer 15s with potted motors. One of them is really going to be grand when I get it fixed up - it is all in black. I cleaned up the Cinderella - very interesting - Outside I would have thought a 15 clone. Under it is for sure not a 15 clone - I didn't pull her in half... She runs like a bulldozer - LOUD. Her case is miserable... I'm thinking about building her a box and putting her somewhere that I can see her all the time. She shined up nice. We got that pink and gray looking mighty purty. I need to get some kind of box for shipping a sewing machine... It is getting over due. Any ideas where you find a nice box - maybe one inside another.
    Miriam, either one of those 301's a long bed?

    Nancy

  10. #34610
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    no, I was just being silly with the Pf sound. I'm recovering from foot surgery here, and spending waaaayyy to much time on the couch with my foot elevated over my heart ( so up on the back of the couch) the elevation is to control the swelling. so as a result, I've gone soft in the brain. every so often I look at my lovely 31-20, all clean and oiled, and once a day, I go down to the garage and put one more thin coat of shellac on the treadle table, but that is about all the machine fixing I've been able to get up to. laura
    Laura, sorry to hear about your foot, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to get better. Hang in there!

    Nancy

  11. #34611
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam, either one of those 301's a long bed?

    Nancy
    no long bed - I sighted a black one though - north of here...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  12. #34612
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    no long bed - I sighted a black one though - north of here...
    Hummmmm, I was going to try to talk you out of one of the 301's if you had a long bed! I am hooked on the 301 for taking to classes, socials, and piecing! I have also used it occasionally here when I set an electric machine up on the counter so I can watch TV with DH. My 15-88 treadle, that sits behind the sofa, is being used for quilting a quilt as you go right now - and, I am too lazy to have to switch the feet and thread for a different project! Anyway, if I find a 301 with a long bed for a reasonable price I will get one! I'm feeling guilty as I use to only take one of my FW's on excursions!

    Nancy

  13. #34613
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just like I thought, I have not received a reply to my e-mail asking about the 262 Pfaff. I made that reply look like I was really excited about the Pfaff too - told the people I love Pfaff's and really want to see this one! I am about to give up on the ads with no phone number! I think our e-mails probably go into spam!

    Nancy

  14. #34614
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Ok, thanks, I think you are making sense. I can do that pretty easily. Did you put a box inside a box? I think that would be safer.
    Miriam, I didn't but I packaged the heck out of it! I wrapped it in bubble wrap with plastic to keep it tightly on and used styrofoam for protection. I think I have the e-mail from the repair tech that showed me how to do it that I can forward on to you, if I can find it? Basically, the odds of it getting damaged were pretty close to nothing after I was finished packing. But, it took over an hour to do and probably $25 of packing supplies! Packing supplies are not cheap:< And I wanted this machine to get there perfectly. Which it did.

  15. #34615
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Just like I thought, I have not received a reply to my e-mail asking about the 262 Pfaff. I made that reply look like I was really excited about the Pfaff too - told the people I love Pfaff's and really want to see this one! I am about to give up on the ads with no phone number! I think our e-mails probably go into spam!

    Nancy
    Nancy, did you check your spam file?

  16. #34616
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Nancy- I hate it when that happens. I usually don't put my phone number in my CL ads, because I hate to talk on the phone and because my kids are terrible about taking messages. But I do try and email back pretty quickly, and then I give people my number. It's funny, because, having just listed 4 machines on CL, it is a lot of effort to make a listing. So, why do people not answer when you email? One of the mysteries of life. Laura

  17. #34617
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Wow Chris can you post a photo! I think that Bernina is a really neat looking machine - it looks like a work horse! I have so many Singers that now I am more interested in the odd looking, different type machines! I wouldn't pay $500 for any vintage machine, though! But, I do really like the way it looks!

    Nancy
    Nancy, Haven't been on in a while but do have pictures of Fritz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by chris_quilts; 05-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  18. #34618
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Nancy, did you check your spam file?
    Yes, I checked my spam. No response!

    Nancy

  19. #34619
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Nancy, Haven't been on in a while but do have pictures of Fritz.
    Wow, that is one handsome looking machine!

    Nancy

  20. #34620
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Chris, that is so cool! Is it a straight stitch machine?

  21. #34621
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Posts
    1,441
    Chris, what's that silver thing on the right side of the top of your machine? Is it the stitch regulator? That is a pretty machine! What year is it? I know nothing about Bernina machines, except that it is a good name brand.

  22. #34622
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Nancy when I get a response from CL and it has the same title as my ad, I ignore it. Those are usually sent back as spam. I look for a different title and a phone number or I ignore the email. If the email says 'do you still have the item?' I ignore the email. If the ad says 'I want to buy your item' I ignore the email.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  23. #34623
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Chris: Fritz is beautiful. What year was he made?

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  24. #34624
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Here is my 1947 FW. I have had her for about 2.5 years. Her name is Chula after my Grandma Chula. I have her sitting on a vintage desk that belonged to my Grandma Chula. On each side of the desk the top drawer has a glass top. I don't know much about the desk but I love it for a lot of sentimental reasons.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  25. #34625
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    She is all clean inside and out, a lot of hours and elbow grease!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.