Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Linda,
The machine will fit as long as its a Singer treadle
cabinet. Here's one of my Singer treadles.
Sharon W.
HI PurpleFiend, I just found this German treadle base. I'm now wondering if my hubby could build a cabinet to fit the Singer 66 machine? Even if I can't use this base, isn't it beautiful?

Did you marry your treadle base with your Singer or did they come together?

Billy, it is a Singer 66 not a 99 and comes without a manual nor any attachments. Not cool but ok. I have a Singer 15-91 and two other Singers. I could try those attachments.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73840.jpe   attachment-73841.jpe   attachment-73842.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM

[quote=Lostn51]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Billy;

Wait did I read we have Bailey's? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Coffee + Rum + Bailey's topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with nutmeg = Happy Shop owner!!!!

Billy
Make me one, too please. I'm needing one after my day today. Don't sklmp on the liquor but it's okay to forget the whippd cream. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chris
Actually the whipped cream mellows everything out. Because for every cup of coffee it takes a full jigger of each item and no sugar, so half of the cup is alcohol and I only drink Bacardi 151. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
okay, leave the whipped cream. :)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Here is a treadle head Singer 66, just the head serial number AD266482, 30,000 made 1930. Also I located a treadle cabinet, no machine. What is great about the 66 and can the two be married? :?:

Don't have pictures of the cabinet yet.
That is a lovely machine and if the dimensions of the opening is the same I say go for it. And any Singer treadle that is not industrial will work.

I am just amazed at how well your machine has held up through the years!! And the decals are marvelous!!

Billy
Weird or else I do not know some terminology: the lady termed the Singer 66 as treadle head but says it is not a treadle. What am I missing here????
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Linda,
He could indeed, he'll just have to make sure that the treadle belt path matches up.
You'll notice that in my picture I have a plain top. Its the top of a Singer coffin top type cabinet and Free company irons. Its what Treadle On members term a "franken" treadle.
Here's the webshots album with just the irons before I decided to use them.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561693025dGRxEd

Sharon
Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks Sharon :D

What did you do to clean up the irons? I don't know if you read what I just found out which written in the post above yours. Even though, now I don't need those German irons I may just pick them up anyway to use sometime down the road... ... to collecting machines...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Linda,
Join www.treadleon.net and you'll learn lots about cleaning machines and how to clean and oil your treadle irons. That's where I've learned all I know.
I mostly used a bar towel and sewing machine oil to clean them up.
Sharon W.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Thanks Sharon :D

What did you do to clean up the irons? I don't know if you read what I just found out which written in the post above yours. Even though, now I don't need those German irons I may just pick them up anyway to use sometime down the road... ... to collecting machines...
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Well I guess I'll start if off. This is my newest acquisition I picked up this last week. I had posted it already, but it deserves to shine on this post.

It a a Singer Model 66-1 Treadle I got off Craigslist for free! :) :) :)

Works beautifully except for the bobbin winder I broke while cleaning her.

Isn't she a beauty. Haven't named her yet. :thumbup:

WOW! FedEx dropped one of these beauties off for me yesterday. My plans are to do a handcrank conversion so I can sew anywhere anytime.

Billy, I am thinking the side clamp you are talkin about if holding the needle in place. Mine needs for cleanup but the decals are in excellent condition. These machines are more like works of art. The time was when I wanted the newest best machine, then I lost my vintage Viking, now I have 66's, 99K's, 301a's, a 252, 457, and 6460, almost forget my 221 and treadle. Thanks for starting this. It should prove valuable to these and us oldies (opps, vinage) but goodies.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 AM

Linda,
Join www.treadleon.net and you'll learn lots about cleaning machines and how to clean and oil your treadle irons. That's where I've learned all I know.
Sharon W.
Hi Sharon, Yesterday I had just finished reading the 5 welcome pages of Treadle.net and am planning to join. Thank you for the confirmation.

:D
Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned

Linda,
Sharon W.
The only thing about sewing machine oil is that it has the tendency of build up and will yellow the shellac or varnish used to protect the decals. It will also promote crazing (little cracks) in the finish if you not careful.

Follow my tutes on cleaning them and use a good polish to care for the finish and you wont have any issues.

Billy
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aurora
WOW! FedEx dropped one of these beauties off for me yesterday. My plans are to do a handcrank conversion so I can sew anywhere anytime.

Billy, I am thinking the side clamp you are talkin about if holding the needle in place.
Yep the side clamp and the back clamp refers to the location of the needle clamp.

I am going to do a Handcrank conversion on my 128 when I slow down a bit with the other projects I have going on right now.

Yes there will be more tutes coming!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy