Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1394 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 394 894 1294 1344 1384 1393 1394 1395 1404 1444 1494 ... LastLast
Results 34,826 to 34,850 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    No! This has been fun, now that you opened this can of worms - uh - bras, we want to know how it goes and which machine makes the trusty item! Besides, I know you and you are a skinny thing - are you sure you weren't describing some else - a 38? That got my attention!

Nancy
    Okay, I'll tell ALL..... Found more information on bra making. Since seam allowances is 1/4", I was going to use my Eldredge Two Spools since it has that perfect 1/4" foot. For the zigzagging portions of the bra making, I'll be using my Necchi Supernova Ultra in treadle. I now have all materials and pattern ready, just researching a bit more before I start sewing.
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 05-24-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I posted a picture of my featherweight quite close to the start of this thread of over 871 pages ..... Yesterday & today I have spent many hours trying to find a basic clean up process for it on these pages. I have watched some wonderful youtube videos but they're for vintage machines.... is there some place on this section that is dedicated to strictly the featherweight? So far every place that I have managed to open on my machine is nice & clean, except tonight I vacuumed out the accumulated dust under the feed dog area. My machine looks like it is stitching perfectly but once the area is finished & I look at it, it seems to be a little gathered. I am not wanting to take all the front tension disks off if at all possible. Can someone please post to show me where to be looking here for specifically the Featherweight, rather than just other vintage machines?
    I just look at a FW as any other vintage machine. I just start with googling information on the machine to see if anyone has posted helpful info. If little can be found, then I just start cleaning it like a Singer 15 or 201.
    Take pictures of the before removing screws or items, just in case you can't remember how to get it back together again.
    Miriam has the best posting on QB for FW cleaning. Enjoy your FW!!! They're such cute machines.

[QUOTE=Charlee;5240388]My New Florence (remember the cabinet with the gold rose decals?) also has the rounded "butt"

OK, first bras and now butts? (ducking and running)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=nurseknitsLaura;5241279]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    My New Florence (remember the cabinet with the gold rose decals?) also has the rounded "butt"

OK, first bras and now butts? (ducking and running)
    Hey Laura, I found that Threads article today that you mentioned. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    I went to bed last night thinking OMG Monica is so funny! What a subject to bring to our vintage machine shop! Joe, thank you, I was thinking maybe all you guys would think the female side of the board were off their rockers - sometimes I wonder! Monica, at least you got a laugh out of everyone - a little surprised laugh out of me!~ I never even thought about making bras myself, and I would never bring it to the board - but, that is just me! What a crazy bunch we are!

Nancy

Sorry, I never meant to offend anyone by replying to a question on bra making....thought it was the same as making quilts or other clothes so I'll just close the door behind me and go back to my bra making project, so I'm not seen as being crazy or eccentric...or what!!

;-(((

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HanNatNana View Post
    Sorry, I never meant to offend anyone by replying to a question on bra making....thought it was the same as making quilts or other clothes so I'll just close the door behind me and go back to my bra making project, so I'm not seen as being crazy or eccentric...or what!!

;-(((
    Oh please don't! You certainly didn't offend anyone!! We tend to get naughty from time to time here in the Vintage section, please don't let US offend YOU! We're just a tad playful...and to be honest, I'm quite interested in the bra making...I've never made one before!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

;-(((
    You didn't offend me! You were very helpful with your suggestions. And you didn't start the subject; I DID!

Nancy had stated something about me always liking to research and where did I disappear to. I responded with my latest research and question. Sometimes my researching is on vintage machines and other times quilts or clothes.
    Besides sewing quilts, I like to sew clothes from time to time. Sometimes I sew clothes just to see the construction and for the challenge of sewing the clothes. It's like my interest in the mechanics of the vintage sewing machines, like a Two Spools or a Davis Vertical Feed. A how does that work and can I get it to work for me. This all carries over from sewing machines to quilts and clothes...I wonder why.

As my son has pointed out to me, most bathing suit tops look just like bras. So, if one doesn't like the idea that I'm talking about a bra then I could change the title to bathing suits.

And Glenn, I'm not modeling a bathing suit either.

Blog Entries

;-(((
    no, don't go away, stick around - it is somewhat like quilting if you think about it - small pieces of material sewed together... 1/4 in seams, maybe do some free motion??? my sister used to have a little business sewing dance costumes - she has been teaching my DD to make swim suits - modest ones for my GKs - you should have seen their eyes when the all were finished!
    Last edited by miriam; 05-25-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries

;-(((

Wait, wait, you didn't offend anyone that I know of, certainly not me. I thought your response to Vintagemotif bra making was wonderful and informative. Just thought if someone started a thread on chit-chat that others might enjoy the topic who are not vintage machine nuts. This is a crazy bunch!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    HanNatNana, don't go any where. I enjoy reading all the new information about bra making. We never know where this thread is going to take us. Not long ago we were talking about Miriam's legs and someone elses shoes they were wearing while treadleing. Plus Hubby thought he was going to get to see some 44Ds. (Sew you go girl!)
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    There has been at least a couple threads about new felt wicks in the Singer 66's and 99's. I've got 5 66s, two 99s and a Sewmore 404 that needs new wicks. I've been looking for a source of thick 100% wool to use for doing this. The TFSR instructions says to use 5 mm thick felt and how to cut them. I didn't want to waste my time chopping up the spool felts sold by lot's of places so I looked and found this place:
    http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wo...wool-felt.html
    They are selling 100% wool felt sheets at 4 to 5 m/m thick for around $3.50.
    I haven't bought any yet, but will as soon as I can.

Just thought this might help.

Joe
    I replaced the felt/wick in my 127 like you suggested, and it made the shuttle sew much smoother. And I didn't even know it was supposed to be in there. Thanks

Blog Entries

;-(((
    HanNatNana, don't close the door! Now, you and Monica have all the females on this board perked up (maybe I shouldn't use that term) and listening! I'd bet 95% of us have never attempted a bra - I haven't - so we want to know how the whole thing plays out when Monica ventures into this unknown territory! Besides, you brought the whole issue down to earth when we were all kind of head spinning about Monica's subject! Hehehehehehe! Yes, we are a crazy bunch! I would be willing to bet some of these old machines have made a few bras in their lifetimes!

Miriam, making bathsuits is something I always wanted to try. I actually knitted and crocheted a couple, but I'd never get into the water with them on!

Nancy

;-(((
    I love this forum and everything everybody brings to it. Besides we are all in love with SEWING machines and making bras or any other garment is sewing. I have made my husbands shirts for 39 years and all kinds of garments for our 3 daughters and lots of stuff for my grands and greats. So, I'm thinking it's all allowable. I enjoy seeing what everybody is doing and sometimes it gets us motivated to try something that would never have occured to us. Keep it up everybody....just my two cents worth.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Okay, I'll tell ALL..... Found more information on bra making. Since seam allowances is 1/4", I was going to use my Eldredge Two Spools since it has that perfect 1/4" foot. For the zigzagging portions of the bra making, I'll be using my Necchi Supernova Ultra in treadle. I now have all materials and pattern ready, just researching a bit more before I start sewing.
    Monica, I love my Two Spools, and all my treadles. I am using my Singer 15-88 treadle right now for a lot of FM quilting. I am fickle, I love which ever machine I am using at the time I am using it. But, I am not sure I'd want to make a bra on the Two Spools, or any of my treadles without reverse. I make quilts all the time on my treadles. I usually never use an electric machine when I am at home sewing, but that is because I don't make clothes anymore. I think if I were going to make a bra, I'd have to use my Pfaff 130, or the Singers - 301, 401a, 503a, maybe a 15 or 99, or I could use my 319w in treadle because it does reverse and fancy stitches. I know people 'had' to deal with not having a reverse! I can deal with that too! But to make a bra, I'd probably use a newer 'vintage machine' just so it had reverse to lock those stitches down! It sounds like too much work for a treadle without reverse. I know, all the ways to lock a stitch on a treadle - but, why do that when you have some vintage electric machines that would be easier to use on that project?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 05-25-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Candace did you sell that machine? It sure is a handsome machine!

Here is another good deal with a neat looking machine! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/3037013522.html

It is funny, now that I have all these treadles, I am looking at the vintage 'electric' machines! I don't want any cabinets, though!

Nancy

Nancy, yes I sold it last night. It was a nice man who came by and he was either Russian, Hungarian...something. In his country he was a clothing designer! His wife was getting a bit irritated with him using her machine(we can maybe relate a tad Hmmmm?). He wanted a heavy duty, all metal machine. And he got one.

Nancy, I have the straight stitch version of the machine you linked to. They are another great machine.

I also had a no show yesterday. From a lady that had contacted me many times to get my address. And of course, I played e-mail tag with her over and over because I wasn't going to give her my address without a time commitment. I get the time commitment and she doesn't show. Grrrrr......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    The opinions vary, I believe... I know there are several that believe all AG Mason machines were produced by White... and it seems just as many believe that they were only produced by White after 1916... who knows for sure? LOL
    I read the most informative article on Mason's relationship with White and thought I book marked it. Of course I didn't and looked over an hour and cannot find it. Even if I did find it, it wouldn't prove anything one way or another. I did see a lot of posts on both sides of the issue.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Nancy, Most of the sewing for the bras require a zigzag or a three step zigzag to hold the pieces together. I didn't know what a three step zigzag was so of course that lead to another google search. Professional and some modern machines have this capability to make a three step zigzag.

The Two Spools might be used to sew around the pieces like for example outside and inside upper cup. The directions state to use 1/4" seams allowance and then trim close to stitches. I'm now thinking that the foot on the Singer 201 or even my FW would be the right foot to use and then no trimming would be needed.

I don't think the Necchi Supernova can do a three step zigzag, so I'm going to have to use just the zigzag or there is a decorative stitch that looks very close to the three step zigzag. There are numerous decorative stitches that look like I could use too. So, most of the sewing will be done with the Necchi.
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 05-25-2012 at 07:58 AM.

I'm not Charlee, and this has probably long since been answered, but I have a New Royal B, from the Illinois Sewing Machine Company of Rockford.
    We still haven't closed on the new old house, and am still knee-deep in packing and culling. I have sold a couple of machines, but still am trying to decide what goes with me and what doesn't. It's not much fun. I just dashed in here to see if anyone else is having more fun than I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Charlee, do you happen to know anything about a New Royal treadle machine? It has a beautiful cabinet that it is in.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    I wish I lived closer to help in the packing and drool over your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    I'm not Charlee, and this has probably long since been answered, but I have a New Royal B, from the Illinois Sewing Machine Company of Rockford.
    We still haven't closed on the new old house, and am still knee-deep in packing and culling. I have sold a couple of machines, but still am trying to decide what goes with me and what doesn't. It's not much fun. I just dashed in here to see if anyone else is having more fun than I am.

The 319 has a built in cam for the 3 step zig though #2 is available for the 306's and it's possible the 401(500 series too) and that series has it. I believe they do. I know my vintage Elnas have the cam for it as well. I've used it to do bindings as it's a bit more decorative and a regular zig zag can create a bit of a tunneling effect without proper stabilizing or if the zig zag is too close.

I would bet there's a 3 step or multi-step zig zag cam available for the Necchi since so many other machines have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    There has been at least a couple threads about new felt wicks in the Singer 66's and 99's. I've got 5 66s, two 99s and a Sewmore 404 that needs new wicks. I've been looking for a source of thick 100% wool to use for doing this. The TFSR instructions says to use 5 mm thick felt and how to cut them. I didn't want to waste my time chopping up the spool felts sold by lot's of places so I looked and found this place:
    http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wo...wool-felt.html
    They are selling 100% wool felt sheets at 4 to 5 m/m thick for around $3.50.
    I haven't bought any yet, but will as soon as I can.

Just thought this might help.

Joe
    Thanks Joe for this link. I have been looking for a good source of wool felt. It's so nice for hand applique. The added bonus is the site also has adorable patterns for making dolls. I have a GD who really can't have enough dolls.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Hi Miz Johnny! Probably not as much fun, though moving is a miserable thing to have to do. (I forget, how far are you going??)

Good luck!

pat

Blog Entries
    Hey anyone here know anything about the Damascus TSMs? I finally found a needle bar screw so I can actually put a needle on the machine, but what needle? ISMACS says Damascus Toy Sewing Machine's use a 16x1. I googled and found other places that say use a 24x1, which is the same needle the Singer 20 TSM uses? I tried the 24x1 needle in the Damascus and it makesName:  Damascus and Singer 20.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  1.64 MB bird nests? Pat, do you know?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I read the most informative article on Mason's relationship with White and thought I book marked it. Of course I didn't and looked over an hour and cannot find it. Even if I did find it, it wouldn't prove anything one way or another. I did see a lot of posts on both sides of the issue.

Texas Jan
    I knew I had something wrong! Mason didn't sell to White, they sold out to Domestic, who later merged with White. These articles are what makes me think that AG Mason manufactured its own machines.

Per "The Sewing Machine Collector" website:

The company was established in the early 1900s by A.G.Mason, a former agent for the Davis Sewing Machine Co. The concern specialized in sales through large retail stores, with many marques being used. Following the death of Mason in 1916, the company became a subsidiary of the Domestic Sewing Machine Co.

From The Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines, 3rd Edition:

HISTORY OF THE COMPANY

Based in Cleveland, Ohio, the A.G. Mason Sewing Machine Company manufactured sewing machines from the 1880s to about 1916. After the original Florence Sewing Machine Company went bankrupt in the late 1870s, Mr. Mason apparently acquired the company in the early to mid 1880s. This new company, doing business as the Florence Machine Company and located in Florence, Massachusetts, manufactured sewing machines based on White models.
    Like many of the smaller manufacturers, A.G. Mason seems to have concentrated on making sewing machines for departments stores and other retailers. Models sold by the company included the Defender, Wilson, Crown, Queen, New Queen, and Florence. In the early 1900s, the company apparently moved its operation to Cleveland, Ohio, and was renamed the A.G. Mason Sewing Machine Company. In 1916, the company was purchased by the Domestic Sewing Machine Company which itself later merged with the White SM Co. in the 1920s.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com