Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Billy I'm sorry for your storm damage. We spent most of the night watching for storms. Lightening struck a tree in my front yard last Friday am - knocked out one TV and messed up my computer. Don't know how much damage it did to computer - my son will check it out Sunday. Knocked pictures off the wall. I even had a superduper surge protector for my computer & printers. Only modem & computer was damaged. Printers & phone ok.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Glenn
[

Hey Glenn, my 301 bobbin winder is practically stuck tight, barely turning at all. How can I take it apart to clean it? Thanks.
Billy can answer this better than I can. I have take the winder off the machine and soaked it in kerosen to loosen it up and then oiled it good. Some times the center screw on the large wheel gets to tight. Glenn
Last night I looked real close, and it actually has an oil hole. I filled it up and started just working it back and forth, and lo and behold, it started turning real easy!! I also took the bobbin assembly apart, and removed the needle plate and feed dogs, and oiled down around the bobbin area really well. I turned the handwheel several times, cleaned up the extra oil, and replaced the bobbin carrier and all the other parts. When I tried her out, she sewed about 100% better!! I think she had probably sat for a long time and her joints just needed lubricating! :-)[/quote]

Glad you got it unstuck this is usually what the problem is. Glenn
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana

Linda it will be less than $100 because postage to you will be cheaper than it was to Australia...the adaptor is US$51.50 and US postage US$6.33 (US$67.83) but it appears the 6 pack of needles is out of stock, but they are available as singles for US$1.95...I bought the additional needles now to save on postage costs later, and the fact I'd have to wait 7-8 days for them to arrive and if I'm in the middle of a project then that would be a pita!!! LOL

Like you, I truly hope this works too...but if not, then please don't shoot the messenger?? Because I haven't tried it yet!!

Bronwyn ;-)
Thanks. And, I will remember not to shoot the messenger!

I might wait a bit though since I have several projects going. Will you post a new topic when you work with it? I am sure that would be interesting to a lot of board members.

:D
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

I know a lot of folks have taken apart their machines. I have a bit of a quandary...

I took my machine apart and soaked it. Unfortunately my 5 yr old was playing with the camera. Yes, you see where this is going.

He deleted the photos I took. ARGH!!!

Needless to say, I have a million pieces in a bag and no blasted clue where to begin.

Does anyone have photos of their process or a link to a manual or schematic that I can follow? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Denise, so sorry about your little helper! My 3 year old (back in 1975) saw how much I loved my, then, brand new Bernina sewing machine. So, in order to be helpful, he took a rag and a spray bottle of water to shine it up. I about had a cow when I discovered what his little helping hands were doing. I didn't yell at him, however, because I could see he really was trying to help Mommy. And, he still loves sewing machines to this day. Whew... glad I could hold my tongue.

Sorry about your machine troubles. I know someone is going to be able to help you in this shop. :-D
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Denise, so sorry about your little helper! My 3 year old (back in 1975) saw how much I loved my, then, brand new Bernina sewing machine. So, in order to be helpful, he took a rag and a spray bottle of water to shine it up. I about had a cow when I discovered what his little helping hands were doing. I didn't yell at him, however, because I could see he really was trying to help Mommy. And, he still loves sewing machines to this day. Whew... glad I could hold my tongue.

Sorry about your machine troubles. I know someone is going to be able to help you in this shop. :-D
Thanks... I did not yell. What is a girl to do?! I am guessing that someone will be able to help, otherwise I can just find a repair shop.

The most disappointing thing about this, is I was hoping to get her up and running by myself....:)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Billy,
so sorry to hear about the storm, glad all are ok, hope the shop inside is too. Try to take it easy unless you are fully recovered, which I hope you are :wink:
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Denise, Someone will help you I am sure by this evening. I know how disappointing it must be. What machine do you have? Most of these vintage machines have online FREE manuals. A lot of my manuals have a list of all the parts in picture form.

Have you looked... hold on, I will be right back.

Here: look on this

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

If there is a title concerning the model of machine you have, you could open it and reply with your need for help. That might get you a quicker answer. Let me know if you don't find what you need. You can PM if you want. :-D
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Billy;
Praying for your strength and health while you clean upo storm damage. Glad your neighbor and you will be working together. So far, my section of Kansas has been spared the really bad storms but I know that can change quite easily. Again, praying for your neck of the woods.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
I have been posting for sometime now and have asked several questions, but never got a reply. I must be doing something wrong. Just posted one to Billy two days ago.
luce321 just ask again, I have had to do this several times when I didn't get an answer. Seems the pages are just added so fast it sometimes gets hard to read everything.