Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
The two machines I just brought home are rough. The Spartan is missing it's thread plate and the wiring is scary looking. I can't find a serial number on it. The Singer in the cabinet has a serial number underneath the machine bed, G049713. I think I am either looking it up wrong on singer site or that is not really the serial number. Where else should I look?
The serial number on mine is right under the center front lip. Tip it straight back and its engraved underneath.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need some help big time. My tension is really bad. The top thread bird nested under neath. I took the machine in to the shop and they adjusted the tension and had a very nice stitch. I came home and the stitch turned bad. The fabric is gathering. When I straighten it out the bobbin thread is laying on the fabric and the top thread is showing a small loop. Any suggestions would be helpful. Kathie
Did you by any chance have your bobbin out? When I first brought mine home I spent 2 hrs trying to "get the tension right" when it finally dawned on me to at least TRY the bobbin in the other direction :oops:

Most beautiful stitch ever after I put the bobbin in right :mrgreen:
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
My Spartan 192K is in a black plastic base. When you unscrew the base you'll find the serial number on the bottom of the machine. Good luck!
I took the bottom off and saw a number but I wasn't sure that was the serial number. Where can I look online to find out about it?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
The two machines I just brought home are rough. The Spartan is missing it's thread plate and the wiring is scary looking. I can't find a serial number on it. The Singer in the cabinet has a serial number underneath the machine bed, G049713. I think I am either looking it up wrong on singer site or that is not really the serial number. Where else should I look?
Dirty1mom, is your machine a Model 15 made in 1910?

Nancy

That is what I found but wasn't sure I looked at the site right. Didn't seem to have enough numbers. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Looked at the site again. I think maybe it is a 27 from 1910?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I love all the new machines you all are adopting, and Billy-- so sorry about the storm damage. We had bad tornadoes here too, but thankfully, no damage at our place.

I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!
This summer I plan to use all the attachments that I have collected from my Singers and also the Davis NVF. I have two quilts that I just need to finish before I can play with all the attachments. Once when wandering around blog land one night, I found this lady who had used all her vintage attachments. She sews her own vintage clothes and does a beautiful job too. Well after reading her blog, I thought that trying out all the attachments that I own would make an interesting project between quilting projects. Have fun!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.
I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!
Did you finish the edges before ruffling? A rolled hem, specially on your overlocker gives a really nice finish. Rayon thread makes it ever nicer!

Many years ago I used to sew for an interior decorator and must have made kilometres of ruffles!! She had a thing for them and therefore attracted customers with similar ideas, but of course she never had to make them...I did!! Funny part was she didn't know about a ruffler foot and thought I was drawing threads my hand, and years later when she found out she was a little put out that I'd been making them much quicker and therefore getting a little more money than she thought she was paying...which by the way as a pittance anyway. Sometimes when you need extra $$$'s you do these things!!

Bronwyn ;-)
Yes, narrow rolled hem on the opposite side. The hemmer is a little wonder. That's funny about the decorator you worked for. I always hated making ruffles, but now they are easy!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
Last night I cleaned it up and played with all the flat cams and decorative stitches by use of the motor. It worked well after I cleaned up the bobbin area. It had lots of old lint that was well hidden. I also had to vacuum out all the little white foam balls from the packing sheets that were used. Machine arrive undamaged, but the machine's bottom wasn't covered so all the little white foam balls from the packing sheets had traveled up into the inside of the machine.

Hank my new Singer 328K
[ATTACH=CONFIG]187401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-187395.jpe  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.
Saw several SunBonnet Sues there - way pricey as were the double wedding rings. One of the DWR was just a top for $300 but beautifully made with gorgeous vintage fabric. Crazy quilt wall hanging priced outrageously so didn't even look at the bigger crazy quilt. Those old quilts are simply beautiful and I do admire the workmanship that went into them. Just cannot afford the prices but I keep hoping to come across one terrifically priced that speaks to my soul.