Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I've not used a double needle in my regular machine either....was just thinking about it as I have to be repairing a leg on my sons dress pants. I have no clue how to do it. You can see the double needle that threaded the rest of the seam. They don't have to be nice looking, it's just the bottom of one pant leg....but he has to have dress pants for his upcoming choir concert and he ripped the side seam on his only pair.

All of his ripped jeans are going to magically turn into shorts for the summer....mostly cause I don't know how to repair anything. I won't patch knees, been there done that...just gotta figure out this seam thing. Clothes are so much harder than quilts!
You can always fake the double stitching by doing two parallel lines of single stitching, one at a time. From the right side, no one would ever know.
That's tempting. And the machine shop gave me a couple accessories I didn't think I'd use. I have this seam guide thing that just screws on, it is nifty, and they gave me this metal thing to hang on the needle area. It guides along a previously sewn seam...so I could sew one seam on the outside, slap that sucker on, and sew another straight seam on the other side....oh the possibilities.

I'm truly scared that I'm going to sew his pants shut...or sew them too tight for him to get his foot in. I might run to Goodwill and see if they have some reasonably priced dress pants in case I botch the fix!

edited to add: can you see I'm trying to come up with ideas to use my machine right away!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM

I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190548.jpe   attachment-190549.jpe   attachment-190550.jpe  
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Vintagemotif, I like what you did with the 328K. I think we will try that with one of ours.
Wouldn't our great-grandmothers be proud to own a machine that made all the zig zag stitches? I can hear them now talking about owning one.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I've not used a double needle in my regular machine either....was just thinking about it as I have to be repairing a leg on my sons dress pants. I have no clue how to do it. You can see the double needle that threaded the rest of the seam. They don't have to be nice looking, it's just the bottom of one pant leg....but he has to have dress pants for his upcoming choir concert and he ripped the side seam on his only pair.

All of his ripped jeans are going to magically turn into shorts for the summer....mostly cause I don't know how to repair anything. I won't patch knees, been there done that...just gotta figure out this seam thing. Clothes are so much harder than quilts!
You can always fake the double stitching by doing two parallel lines of single stitching, one at a time. From the right side, no one would ever know.
That's tempting. And the machine shop gave me a couple accessories I didn't think I'd use. I have this seam guide thing that just screws on, it is nifty, and they gave me this metal thing to hang on the needle area. It guides along a previously sewn seam...so I could sew one seam on the outside, slap that sucker on, and sew another straight seam on the other side....oh the possibilities.

I'm truly scared that I'm going to sew his pants shut...or sew them too tight for him to get his foot in. I might run to Goodwill and see if they have some reasonably priced dress pants in case I botch the fix!

edited to add: can you see I'm trying to come up with ideas to use my machine right away!
It's easy once you get into it. When repairing a double seam, I always open the inseam seam a long ways so I can get to the side seam easily. Do the repairs to the outer double seam (you can even get regular jeans thread that is the thicker matching golden color) put the jeans thread as your top thread and a thinner matching color ini the bobbin and your 66 wil just sew it like butter. Once you have the double seam done you can put reg thread back in machine and sew up the inseam and you are done. It's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it. My husband is a great thrift shop shopper and he brought me home jeans to alter, repair and shorten for our grandson and for 50 cents a pair for levis that looked nearly new I feel gratified saving my grandson money for new jeans. Just dive in and go for it. I used the same method for patching knees, open inseam so you have lots of room then close it back up when done. Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Glad to hear you got through the tornados Ok! That would have scared me to death as we don't have to deal with 'real' tornados in California! Nancy
No, but you have to worry about sliding off into the ocean!!
Yeah, I know, but I think I am far enough inland that I don't have to worry too much!

Nancy
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by RML
Do you know anything about the British "Eclipse" sewing machines? I saw one yesterday at an antique shop.
I have an Eclipse handcrank around here somewhere, but can't remember where. . . . .

Mine is like this one, which belongs to a friend:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...71317108zfmWtN
Miz Johnny, I'd love to see a picture of your machine AND I am still waiting to see the Pfaff treadle someday!

Nancy
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miz Johnny I had never heard the term "Vindex B" type of tension. Does that mean all those type machines fall under that category? Like my New Home T No 3 with the same tension setup?

Nancy
No, it was just a reference to the Vindex B top tension, rather than say a VB front tension.
That is what I thought as I know someone on here posted a picture (didn't they) of a Vindex machine? Anyway, what do you mean a reference to the Vindex B top tension -- is that just a reference to the particular machine named Vindex?

Nancy
Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
A friend of ours is moving and gave me this Sewing Machine. From the copyright in the manual it is a 1956. Singer Model 319. I love it. I haven't sewn with her yet, but I will tomorrow. It has levers on the right hand side for embroidery. :D
Snowquilt, lucky you to be given that machine! You also got the cams! Pretty green too!

Nancy
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Originally Posted by amyjo
If anyone is still looking for a Wilcox & Gibbs there is one on EBAY for 1 more hour. 7pm CDT. It has a bid of $15.33 on it + 14.00 shipping.
Took me ages to find the listing but just sat deep breathing ,watching time pass and did not bid. Machine
looked in bad shape --went for $ 17.50 the last second.
Figue QB member bought it.

I picked up my Singer Treadle yesterday so have enough work for myself. Owner put varithane over the wood cabinet that I believe is mahogany (not usual oak) decals are well worn. Need to buy bobbins have only 1 shuttle
type #8228. Bare machine --1 needle.

Planning before /after photo's within a month. Maybe stormy weather will be over.
Was that the Wilcox and Gibbs that was missing the little silver table so you can use it?

What brand treadle did you get?

Nancy
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 AM

Most of those double needle looking hems were put in with a Serger using the chain stitch, which is what finishes sweatshirts, T shirts, and yes slacks hems. I'd bet that is the way the hem was done -- it is a one step process, very fast and clean -- not with a double needle. Unless, the commercial machines do the same thing? I know nothing about commercial machines, but if you had a Serger you could finish those hems with a very professional look.

Nancy