Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 150 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 149 150 151 160 200 250 650 1150 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    My 3 Wilcox & Gibbs sewing machines, from mid 1800's NO bobbin on these machines they did a chain stitch, these were comerical machines. One is treddle, one is hand crank, and one was welded to a base and moter added,
    the last one has lovely grape leaves and bunchs of grapes decals real perty on back will take more pictures when I get my new camera, :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have found a few sewing machines this weekend myself. There is a new thrift store down the road from me. I stopped in and told her to call me if any older sewing machines came in. And she did ! She called and said she had a very heavy little black sewing machine called a Commander, and that she had to have 15.00 for it. Hmmm, quick google search and I was on my way to pick her up. She is kinda plain, no super fancy decals. The Commander decal is wearing off in the front, but in good shape in the back. The paint is great, just a little dusty. The wires need to be replaced, they are kinda frayed. But she turns over very smoothly and the needle moves easily.

The second machine is the cutest Kenmore, in a green color, kind of Jetson-y looking. A model 158-16020. From what I can tell there is an identical model 158 that has a cam feature. Mine does not. The case is plastic and kinda grundgy, but the machine is pristine. I am hoping to try her out this afternoon. I think she was made in the 50's sometime.

The last machine is not an old one, but I think a good deal. I have been looking for a good machine for a co- worker of my husband. She needs a good beginner machine. I found a brand new Euro-Pro for only ten bucks. I think she will be thrilled. Not something I really need, but to be able to pass it on is fun. I will check it out and make sure it is sewing correctly before she gets it. It looks new and the accessories are still sealed in the bag, so it should be fine, but just to make sure. Nothing more frustrating then a machine that does not sew correctly. Especially for a new sewer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Well I GOT HER!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
    This afternoon, we were on our way to pic up my DH car from the shop when he said, "Let's go look at that treadle machine." I said, "Really? Let's go!"

Long story, short version - off we went. She is in a little rougher condition than I had thought from DH's pics, but I think she is nice anyway...and DH is determined to get her all shined up.
    If anyone can give me more info on this sweetie, I would appreciate it.

And now, introducing you to......Maisie.
    I love everything about your machine and her cabinet. Isn't it wonderful working with DH on these machines? My DH and I have had more fun on these adventures.... great job!!!

:-D :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Now, Brownie is a doll! How can you stand it? Georgeous. I didn't know they were made in brown. WoW! :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    WOW I leave the shop for a day and I have 5 pages to read!!

Billy
    This is what I'm afraid of. I'm going into the hospital next week for heart surgery and will be in there for at least 5 days and I just know I'm going to get really far behind on reading everyone's updates. But at least it will give me something to do while I'm recovering.
    Take heart, all of us here on the QB will be rooting and praying for you. Hurry back.
    DITTO. I will be praying for you. God bless you.

:-D

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    This afternoon, we were on our way to pic up my DH car from the shop when he said, "Let's go look at that treadle machine." I said, "Really? Let's go!"

Long story, short version - off we went. She is in a little rougher condition than I had thought from DH's pics, but I think she is nice anyway...and DH is determined to get her all shined up.

I love everything about your machine and her cabinet. Isn't it wonderful working with DH on these machines? My DH and I have had more fun on these adventures.... great job!!!

:-D :-D :-D
    Thanks! You are right! Half of the fun is that DH is as excited, if not more excited as I am!

Blog Entries
    Leaha, What treasures you have. I would love to have those myself. :-D :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Overlander
    "Brownie" .
    Browny is one little dolly. Very cute!

Blog Entries
    I am down sizeing, looking to trade these 3 for a nice little featherweight these were all made in the 1890's from what I have been able to find. They were in my dad;s museum.

Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    I am down sizeing, looking to trade these 3 for a nice little featherweight these were all made in the 1890's from what I have been able to find. They were in my dad;s museum.
    Have you tried the sales trade on this website?

Long story, short version - off we went. She is in a little rougher condition than I had thought from DH's pics, but I think she is nice anyway...and DH is determined to get her all shined up. There is some wear on the decals, so i can tell that she was well used. There are 2 extra bobbins and what I think is a button hole foot and a ruffler. I am fascinated by the shuttle mechanism that is used. I didn't know that they were made that way, but then, I know nothing of treadle machines, so DH and I both have a lot to learn. I did learn as Billy said, that they were copies of the Singer 27/127 and made by Domestic and then later White. The serial number is 491273, but can't seem to date her, but think it is early to mid 1900's.
    I am soooo excited! I feel like I have a piece of history sitting in my dining room.

Oh my goodness, what a beauty....looks like Maisie is a perfect candidate for Billy's kerosene bath and polishing Tute.....those decals will just pop and she will shine with pride. Have fun!

Scotlass

Beautiful I love her!!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :-D :lol: :wink: :XD: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlass
    Oh my goodness, what a beauty....looks like Maisie is a perfect candidate for Billy's kerosene bath and polishing Tute.....those decals will just pop and she will shine with pride. Have fun!
    I was telling my DH that he needed to look at Billy's tute. One question, doesn't the kerosene harm the decals?

I was telling my DH that he needed to look at Billy's tute. One question, doesn't the kerosene harm the decals?
    I was really careful at first too, Billy said the kerosene won't take the decals off and it doesn't. I still would start carefully and begin in an area where it really won't show and when you get to the polishing part just follow his directions and use gentle circular motions and lots of cotton balls. You will be amazed how much crud will come off of her and how beautiful she will be when you are finished.

Scotlass

Thanks Scotlass.

Blog Entries
    have not done that yet, thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Karen,
    I think the cabinet is great and your machine looks like it is in very good condition. You made a good choice. You'll really be surprised at how much she'll cleanup and the decals will be even more beautiful. Let us know how you get along with those Tuts.
    Thank you Kitzone!

Where can I get a owners manual at? I tried google and came up with nothing. I didn't realize there was so much to learn!
    Karen,
    See if any on this website matches your machine:

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manuals.html

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Judy

Blog Entries
    My oh my! Leaha, Overlander and Nursie...What a collection of sewing machines you've posted. I'd not have a problem bringing any of these home (All the while grinning like a Cheshire Cat).

Thank you for sharing your treasures!

I was really careful at first too, Billy said the kerosene won't take the decals off and it doesn't. I still would start carefully and begin in an area where it really won't show and when you get to the polishing part just follow his directions and use gentle circular motions and lots of cotton balls. You will be amazed how much crud will come off of her and how beautiful she will be when you are finished.

Scotlass
    I know your husband will read the tutes carefully, just a note...the kerosene is really needed to get all the old oil/varnish out of the workings, but you can't help but get it on the outside of the machine, just wipe it off everyonce in a while during the bath part and your decals should be just fine. Good Luck, it takes patience, but so worth it!

At my little house, buried under a pile of fabric.
    I want to share pictures of my New Home! I thought it needed a belt, but it doesn't! I need help finding a owners manual for her and then get her cleaned and oiled and she is ready to go!

You all have some very beautiful machines! I have 6 right now and when I get my sewing room addition I plan on getting more!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that tip, I was thinking that the whole machine was submerged.... :oops:

Karen, your NH is beautiful. It looks just like the machine I learned to sew on. I wish I still had it...

Blog Entries
    Yes, I printed out the manual, but I'd still like to find the new Manual that is suppose to be out on how to care for the vintage treadles.

I got my machine all cleaned up and put a new belt on it along with the rubber thingy that makes the bobbin wind. I got a bobbin wound -- geeze what a funny little bobbin case and bobbin! So off I went to try and sew -- not so much -- I can't seem to get a rhythm going and all I do is go back and forth and break thread!

I think the machine needs a new check spring thing -- the spring keeps jumping above the little stop thing on the side of the tension disk then the thread comes out?

I love the machine, but I need a LOT of practice sewing -- treadling is not easy!

Nancy

Wow! Leaha, Nursie & Karen - awesome machines. I've seen so many of the chat room group showing off their finds I just couldn't help myself. Had to give this White Rotary a good home. I won't know till Monday when the tech gets back from a show how long it will take before she can even look at Brownie. I work at the shop, but only on Friday's so I'll probably be leaning over her shoulder the whole time. :) Can't wait to try him out. (this is definitely a male machine - he whispered to me when I saw him "take me home") :)

There are so many of you to thank for your thoughts and prayers. Miz Johnny, Billy, Kitzone, Crossstitcher, AnnaQuilts, Howard, & SewExtreme. I really appreciate you all thinking of me during this very trying time. Will do my best to recover quickly so I can get back here. I know I will miss the board and you here on VSMS. I will give you all an update as soon as I'm able, in the meantime I know you are thinking of me and praying for me and it really means the world to me. This board and all of you are just THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST!!! THANKS AGAIN!
    Doug