Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Thank you so much! I need all the help I can get!!...I am learning a little at a time with everyone's help! Thank you for taking the time to post!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Here are a few pictures from my trip. Picked up the Kenmore (really ugly machine IMHO) in a cabinet with a sewing chair, and a buttonholer for $30. The man said it was sitting around for a long time and I know why! :mrgreen: Model #117.580 Serial#18880

Another Kenmore M#117.552 S#384593-Both of these machines are in the same kind of cabinet. When I called Kenmore, I was told they were at least 20 years old as there were no records for them.

And then the Free machine.

Minnesota machine-I really like this one.

Lauren

Ugly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192080[/ATTACH]

Free
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192081[/ATTACH]

Notice says Chicago
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192084[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192074.jpe   attachment-192075.jpe   attachment-192076.jpe   attachment-192078.jpe  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Blinky- very nice machine...just like mine in my avatar..cabinet and all. Your decals on the bed are better, mine are worn. I was supprised to find the shiney gold paint on the irons when I cleaned them up.

BoJangles- what grease should I have been using on the foot pedal and where? {the ball of the pitman and both sides of the pedal?} I just dripped oil into those spots.
thank you! love to hear new things about my machine!! i had no idea what i was buying...just fell in love with it!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

That Kenmore sure is ugly. I wonder how it sews? I wonder if cleaning it will improve it's looks... Looks like something to have around a farm. I wonder if you could paint it some wild color or something. The others look like they will clean up and be gorgeous though.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM

It is so special to think about Grandmother's sewing on these machines. I have a featherweight and love it but this treadle is so unique and I can actually use it as a beautiful piece of furniture!

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Elizabeth that is a really nice Model 127 Sphinx decaled machine! I am using my Sphinx for piecing right now in my sewing room -- that machine will sew through a jean flat felt seam like butter! It won't skip a stitch! Very powerful machine. Just keep it well oiled and grease the foot pedal on the treadle occasionally!

Irishrose AND Baysidegal, I can't bring myself to part out my new 66-6, I will just have to find a foot pedal to use with it! I wish it had reverse, not new enough, then I'd put it in a treadle to use! I have enough treadles without reverse now - I don't need another one! Nancy
Elizabeth... love your machine. I have TWO 127s, both Eqyptian decals. One I'm going to keep electric, the other I'm going to treadle. (eventually!). I love them. Both were machines bought by friend's grandmothers... loved... sewed with lots... and both purr from being so well taken care of. Decals a little fuzzy... but they've seen lots of cloth under those needles!

Nancy... you can get a foot pedal for the the 66-6 off ebay. I ended up rewiring the old one, but then also bought a 'new' foot pedal with the 66 cord set - so that I can use it with finer control. I love best the knee lever operation, so I leave the old foot pedal in the cabinet hooked into the knee operation. But when I have the need to change out machine heads, I'll just plug in that 66-6 on the regular 66 cord/pedal and use it on the table. Works fine. On that backtack... I learned to start my stitching on a scrap piece, then holding firmly, sew onto the real project fabric (this makes tiny stitches, almost like a backtack, without bunching up the fabric). It works, and is now second nature to me. I LOVE my granny's 66-6 machine. No, it doesn't have reverse, but man, can I sew boat canvas with it!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I'm still in need of the little screw that is in the clutch nut of a Singer 99k. I've looked everywhere and to no avail. If anybody has one they will sell, plese PM me. TIA
I thought I had a few out there but I dont. :( I will keep an eay out for you.

Billy
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Here are a few pictures from my trip. Picked up the Kenmore (really ugly machine IMHO) in a cabinet with a sewing chair, and a buttonholer for $30. The man said it was sitting around for a long time and I know why! :mrgreen: Model #117.580 Serial#18880

Another Kenmore M#117.552 S#384593-Both of these machines are in the same kind of cabinet. When I called Kenmore, I was told they were at least 20 years old as there were no records for them.

Lauren
Great finds Lauren!! The Kenmore is not that ugly. It has an industrial look that is quite unique. I am sure it will look better once is has a spa treatment. Your Free and Minnesota look like they are in great condition and should be beauties to use. Can't wait until you post the before and after pictures.

Judy
Old 05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
That Kenmore sure is ugly. I wonder how it sews? I wonder if cleaning it will improve it's looks... Looks like something to have around a farm. I wonder if you could paint it some wild color or something. The others look like they will clean up and be gorgeous though.
The only real gripe I have with the Kenmore is that it is friction drive. I have one a little older than that one but along the same lines and its a wrinkle brown color. It is near perfect but I will never do anything with it.

Billy
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM

I think it would be great if someone did a topic list here--especially since the search function no longer works on the board......
Now that I am getting my old girls up and running, I cannot remember all the tips I have read!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grandmother23

Lauren
I have the records for the Kenmores.

The 117.552 is a 1954 Kenmore Rotary.

The 117.580 is listed as a plain Kenmore from 1954.

Billy