Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1513 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 513 1013 1413 1463 1503 1512 1513 1514 1523 1563 1613 ... LastLast
Results 37,801 to 37,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    Just looked at the pics. That's a lovely looking machine. It looks like it must have been expensive originally. Must have had all the bells and whistles!
    Its a Singer 500, was top of the line when it was new. For someone who knows nothing about a sewing machine, it can be intimidating.
    i

Blog Entries
    Another pic of Glenn's Burdock - this was when we brought her home. She was in a moldy old case - we left her case for the burn pile... I think if she hadn't been in the case she would not have been in as good shape and that shape wasn't very good as you can see. Glenn we want to see the AFTER pic too...
    Name:  40 out of 65 CL machines 4-22-12 052.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  127.2 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Its a Singer 500, was top of the line when it was new. For someone who knows nothing about a sewing machine, it can be intimidating.
    i
    You got that right - but the odd thing is once you have read the manual it is pretty easy to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Be careful going through old drawers (sewing machine drawers !!!!). I've encountered everything from critters alive and dead to rusty razor blades. I now dump the contents into a shoebox before exploring. And be sure to do this before loading said drawers/cabinet into your car- I wound up with a very expensive mouse family condo in my Subaru AC ductwork. A few mice jumped ship as I unloaded the treadle, but there were other smelly stowaways!
    I have a godzilla Kenmore with a mouse nest in the top end of the machine - mouse has been evicted - machine is on the to do list some time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    The rummage sale that I volunteer at (over 19 years and counting) receives over 100 machines each year. I wish I had kept notes on what we find in the drawers.
    The usual finds are attachments, buttons, thread, razors, tools, keys, and pictures. Then there are the baby teeth, school report cards, and jewelry.

Cathy
    Yeah - that quill thing is pretty interesting. Very well made - but why? What did they use it for? Then there is the girdle hook. Reminds me of a story.... Maybe I'll post it on my PDA later...

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    The rummage sale that I volunteer at (over 19 years and counting) receives over 100 machines each year. I wish I had kept notes on what we find in the drawers.
    The usual finds are attachments, buttons, thread, razors, tools, keys, and pictures. Then there are the baby teeth, school report cards, and jewelry.

Cathy
    Letters, love and otherwise. Report cards, prayer cards from funerals, and once, and ancient bottle of valium! Laura

Blog Entries
    I posted my girdle hook story on my PDA for all of cyber space to read ... http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...t180946-8.html

Hi! I just bought a Morse sewing machine from CL. I picked it up in a monsoon, so didn't really take the time to check it out. Now it's home and it doesn't sew. It sounds like the motor is frozen up. I will clean and oil it tomorrow to see what I can do with it. Do you think it is worth repair? I'm already out $75 for the machine and a nice cabinet. I can put another machine into the cabinet, but this machine is just too darn cute to trash! Is it salvagable???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    Hi! I just bought a Morse sewing machine from CL. I picked it up in a monsoon, so didn't really take the time to check it out. Now it's home and it doesn't sew. It sounds like the motor is frozen up. I will clean and oil it tomorrow to see what I can do with it. Do you think it is worth repair? I'm already out $75 for the machine and a nice cabinet. I can put another machine into the cabinet, but this machine is just too darn cute to trash! Is it salvagable???
    pictures? Joe and others try to save everything. I draw the line when it comes to lots of missing parts or severe rust - surface rust doesn't stop me. Evaporust to the rescue. Is the motor external or internal? What kind of drive does it have - is it a plastic belt or a fabric belt with cleats or a direct drive with gears? Is it the motor that is messed up or is it dried up oil inside the machine? Here are two links to two I unstuck: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html and http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html These machines had set around a long time and were not turning at all. If it is an internal motor you can just buy a new motor. Check the wiring - you can sometimes just buy new wires. Do show us a pic.

Nice job on the Burdick, Glenn

Looking for info on this machine

Ok, I have been wanting a treadle sewing machine for a little while now. I have never seen one work in person, only on youtube. But I can finally say I have entered the ranks of having a vintage machine.

My maternal grandmothers, brothers wife inherited this machine from her mother. The aunt does not know if her mother was the original owner of the machine or if she inherited it from her mother or mother in law. I would love to know this information to keep with the machine! My Aunt does not sew nor does she have any immediate family that was interested in this machine. She heard that I was looking for one and gifted this to me. Does not want anything in return. But I made a small quilt for her that would be great as a table topper. Will mail it off to her this week with a thank you card for her generosity.

The machine has not been used in 20+ years. It needs a thorough cleaning. I am going to watch Mav's videos and see if I can handle the job on my own??? Should be fun, right!!????

The manual pictured says it is a 1889 Vibrating Shuttle No. 2 Singer. SR# 9036624. How do I find out more about this machine? Where do I run the serial number for the info.

Is there anyone that can tell me what this machine can do?? Will I be able to quilt with it?? Can I drop the feed dogs on it to do motion quilting?? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!!

Here are the pics, Kyia (Michele)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love to do binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyiav10 View Post
    Ok, I have been wanting a treadle sewing machine for a little while now. I have never seen one work in person, only on youtube. But I can finally say I have entered the ranks of having a vintage machine.

My maternal grandmothers, brothers wife inherited this machine from her mother. The aunt does not know if her mother was the original owner of the machine or if she inherited it from her mother or mother in law. I would love to know this information to keep with the machine! My Aunt does not sew nor does she have any immediate family that was interested in this machine. She heard that I was looking for one and gifted this to me. Does not want anything in return. But I made a small quilt for her that would be great as a table topper. Will mail it off to her this week with a thank you card for her generosity.

The machine has not been used in 20+ years. It needs a thorough cleaning. I am going to watch Mav's videos and see if I can handle the job on my own??? Should be fun, right!!????

The manual pictured says it is a 1889 Vibrating Shuttle No. 2 Singer. SR# 9036624. How do I find out more about this machine? Where do I run the serial number for the info.

Is there anyone that can tell me what this machine can do?? Will I be able to quilt with it?? Can I drop the feed dogs on it to do motion quilting?? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!!

Here are the pics, Kyia (Michele)
    OHHHH, pretty! Treadlon.net is also a good source for actually sewing on a treadle. I have this machine on my wish list! IIRC, you can't drop the dogs, but many people don't drop them for free motion. Using a treadle is addictive! I find myself using one more often than not, now that I have room to have one set up all the time. Enjoy your lovely machine! Laura

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    OHHHH, pretty! Treadlon.net is also a good source for actually sewing on a treadle. I have this machine on my wish list! IIRC, you can't drop the dogs, but many people don't drop them for free motion. Using a treadle is addictive! I find myself using one more often than not, now that I have room to have one set up all the time. Enjoy your lovely machine! Laura
    Laura, Thank you for the reply! Shame I can't drop the dogs, but I think I will still do some quilting on her when she is ready to go. What does IIRC stand for??

I think she is pretty too even though shes a little shall we say, up there in age. I am going to name her after my aunts mother but I have to find out her name.

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Blog Entries
    I looked up your serial number a can only come up with the year made which is same as your manual 1889. Someone on the board may have a copy of the numbers before Singer pulled them from the internet. Your machine is very pretty and so is the cabinet. You will enjoy sewing on her.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Look what I got in the mail today. My newly purchased 301. Sews really good and is really clean. I love how it fits in the table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9040126.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	360310
    Mary

What a lovely 301, and the table is gorgeous! Was it refinished or simply pristine? I seriously should put a cover over my keyboard for the envy drool. So many beautiful machines here.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    What a lovely 301, and the table is gorgeous! Was it refinished or simply pristine? I seriously should put a cover over my keyboard for the envy drool. So many beautiful machines here.
    No it has not been refinished, just don't think it was used much.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Kyiav10
    I am just about finished refurbishing this same machine with the same coffin top but a 5 drawer cabinet. Unfortunately, mine was missing the shuttle and the one that I purchased rubs just a bit so I have to look into that when time permits. We put a new leather belt on her yesterday but I fear we made it a bit too loose...we shall see...can always cut off a bit but can't add on if we cut off too much. I need to get a new tire for the bobbin winder. Don't know where my mind was when I ordered other parts but I have to get some parts for the 128 that I got a couple weeks ago and am working on now. When I get time to take photos of mine refurbished, I will post them but I have a pressing time limit on another project that must come first (a challenge quilt). I am really looking forward to sewing on my VS2. Isn't it funny that our machines are identical, along with the exact same coffin top. I got a puzzle box of attachments with mine but many are missing and the ruffler was the wrong one but it was broken anyway so ...
    I had to replace the veneer on the top of the box and cabinet (it disintegrated into tiny pieces and a lot of dust) and have finished the staining and shellacking. It was exciting to finally get the machine in the cabinet yesterday. My husband stripped, primed and painted the iron and put gold paint on the Singer emblem on each side. It looks very stately now as should an elderly lady of her age. Glenn has posted really good instructions on refurbishing our lovely ladies. This is quite like the machine I learned to sew on about 65 years ago. Have fun working on your machine.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    Your 301 is lovely...I have one that is black and one that is Godzilla brown finish. They sew very nicely. Enjoy yours! The table looks so much more useful for quilting than a regular cabinet.
    Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    No it has not been refinished, just don't think it was used much.

Hello, new kid on the block. Right now handy hubby is working on a White rotary treadle ("Mary Gertrude") I inherited from an old neighbor. Plus I own another vintage machine ("Madge") -- a lovely avocado green/cream colored beauty. Just poking around now, mining some of the sage info.

Looking forward to learning more...

Muv
    Laura, Thank you for the reply! Shame I can't drop the dogs, but I think I will still do some quilting on her when she is ready to go.

Kyia

Kyia - don't even try FMQ on a long bobbin machine, you will break the needle. It's all to do with the way the stitch is formed underneath. Any movement of the material in any direction other than a straight line with the feed dogs gives a pull on the needle with the thread. The needle will be pulled to the side and come crashing down on the foot, and it will be goodbye needle.

You will be fine with straight line quilting, but you will probably need to experiment a bit with different feet.

Thank you Muv. Will only do straight line quilting. Do you know where I can order a belt and needles??

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    Kyiav10
    I am just about finished refurbishing this same machine with the same coffin top but a 5 drawer cabinet. Unfortunately, mine was missing the shuttle and the one that I purchased rubs just a bit so I have to look into that when time permits. We put a new leather belt on her yesterday but I fear we made it a bit too loose...we shall see...can always cut off a bit but can't add on if we cut off too much. I need to get a new tire for the bobbin winder. Don't know where my mind was when I ordered other parts but I have to get some parts for the 128 that I got a couple weeks ago and am working on now. When I get time to take photos of mine refurbished, I will post them but I have a pressing time limit on another project that must come first (a challenge quilt). I am really looking forward to sewing on my VS2. Isn't it funny that our machines are identical, along with the exact same coffin top. I got a puzzle box of attachments with mine but many are missing and the ruffler was the wrong one but it was broken anyway so ...
    I had to replace the veneer on the top of the box and cabinet (it disintegrated into tiny pieces and a lot of dust) and have finished the staining and shellacking. It was exciting to finally get the machine in the cabinet yesterday. My husband stripped, primed and painted the iron and put gold paint on the Singer emblem on each side. It looks very stately now as should an elderly lady of her age. Glenn has posted really good instructions on refurbishing our lovely ladies. This is quite like the machine I learned to sew on about 65 years ago. Have fun working on your machine.
    Donna
    Thank you Blueheavenfla! I dont think I want to refurbish mine. Do you know what the value is of it if I get it cleaned up and in working order as it is?? To me the worth is in working order so I can use it but just curious.

Thank you, Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Muv
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    Attachment 359818Attachment 359819I have just bought these two from a Charity Store for 20 the pair. They are in complete cases and the Vibra has a box full of tools, needles and feet and guides. Even got the instruction book. Can't open the shuttle slider yet. The Fiddlebase has it's little boat shuttle and bobbin, but I can't open the catch which allows you to lean the head back. Wait for hubby to come in and have a look. I'm so excited. I learned to sew on an old made in Japan 'SANGER' with a boat shuttle.
    Hello Bluebell,

What a nice pair of machines! The Vibra is actually a Jones machine. If a company placed a large enough order with them they would put that company's name or brand name on the machines for them. Did it come with a packet of needles? Are they round shanked?

Don't tell the Americans how much we can find machines for. They might get jealous.

Muv
    Thank you Muv. Will only do straight line quilting. Do you know where I can order a belt and needles??

Kyia
    Kyia, it will take standard needles, try one to check the fit. Make sure you have the flat side to the right, because it threads from left to right. Don't ask me the technical name for the size. Singer set the standard for needles very early on. Since then it is the machines that have changed, not the needles. I grew up with an 1897 machine, 28K vibrating shuttle which I still use, and I can just walk into a shop now and buy needles which fit my machine and machines manufactured last week.

Look at different websites for belts, such as Treadle Lady and Sew Classic. They aren't difficult to get hold of.