Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM

too many machines for my small house. time for a new house?[/quote]

Yes, you must get your priorities straight. You must have a bigger house so you can acquire more machines. Tell hubby I said so. I am sure that he would listen to me. lol Kathie
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Hi Billy, and all! I have just added two new members to my sewing "family" -- Ellie and Adah... I'll attach pics here of Adah -- a Singer model 27 built in 1909, tredle machine. Billy - I need needles and belts for both machines. Can you give me an idea of where to look? The industrial machine has a leather belt. Also, is there a place to go and get a repair manual for either machine, and/or a diagram explaining all the parts, etc. I copied the info about how you clean up your machines, but am unsure of what the different "Plates" are -- I know the plate where the feed dogs is probably the needle plate... Sorry to be so uneducated!!

Also -- when you restore these machines, do the beautiful decals restore well, or do you need to replace them?? Mine are beautiful, but some parts have worn away. Is there a place to purchase new decals??
Sewnserge, what is the serial number on the machine you are calling a 27? Your machine has the bobbin winder where a Model 127 would be, a Model 27 has the bobbin winder down low, but that machine is not a Model 27 nor 127. I am really curious as to what Model it is? It has a tension disk on the face like a Model 15 and the stitch regulator is a slide like a 15, but I am not sure that is what it is either?

The industrial 31 is a really nice machine, they both will be beautiful when you get them cleaned up!

Just very curious -- the one you call the Model 27 is really pretty!

Nancy
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Hi Billy, and all! I have just added two new members to my sewing "family" -- Ellie and Adah... I'll attach pics here of Adah -- a Singer model 27 built in 1909, tredle machine. Billy - I need needles and belts for both machines. Can you give me an idea of where to look? The industrial machine has a leather belt. Also, is there a place to go and get a repair manual for either machine, and/or a diagram explaining all the parts, etc. I copied the info about how you clean up your machines, but am unsure of what the different "Plates" are -- I know the plate where the feed dogs is probably the needle plate... Sorry to be so uneducated!!

Also -- when you restore these machines, do the beautiful decals restore well, or do you need to replace them?? Mine are beautiful, but some parts have worn away. Is there a place to purchase new decals??
The machine in the first picture is a Singer 115, rather than a model 27. Most of the time we just clean the machines as best we can. The worn decals just show that
they have sewn lots fabric through the years. Sometimes the decals show up better after cleaning; others are very
fragile.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maura
I just won a Singer 201-2 on ebay. I can't copy the picture to show here, but it looks like it is in good condition, the decals are heavy and clear. I have a Pfaff that will sew a good 1/4" seam, but it skips stitches when going over more than two layers of cloth and I'm ready to throw it out the window. I figured that these old machines made many quilts, piecing and quilting, and that is all I really need. I've read reviews that say the 201 is the best machine singer ever made. For $207, that ain't bad (total $246).

I now have absolutely NO excuse not to make a dozen quilts this year!
Ok Maura, what Model Pfaff do you have? It must be a newer machine as the old ones could sew through 4 layers of canvas making sails! I have a 1222E from 1976 and a Model 130 from 1952 that will sew through anything! I also have a new computerized one that I don't even use to sew now after having to get it repaired -- I only use it for embroidering -- it is like you said -- won't sew through more than two layers. I broke it trying to use it for piecing!

Yes, the 201 was advertized as the 'finest sewing machine Singer ever made." There are a lot of people here that swear by the 201. Congratulations on your new machines!

Nancy
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
The problem I have is that each time I pine after a machine, then fulfill my "need", another one takes its place on my wish list. prob is im running out of room, proven by the fact I stubbed my little toe on a FW case, split the nail at the quick, hurts like he dbl hockey sticks. DSIL pointed out the obvious, too many machines for my small house. time for a new house?
Yes, you are exactly right! This is why I am trying to stop buying that one because its cute, that one because I don't have that type, that one because it is priced right, that one just because I want it, so on and so on! I don't need the Graybar! It is not the price - I think I could get it for less than $50 anyway -- I really don't need it! I am trying to use every machine I have for one thing or another! This way I can justify why I have so many! I need to hold out for the red 15 clone I want really bad, and the very ornate Jones I want (only because my Daughter's married name is Jones)!

The serpentine like Kathie's is a beautiful machine, but I want one of the British Jones machines that say "Jones" across the arm and the emblem says something like "his majesties court?"

We are all so hopeless!

Nancy
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I was wondering if anyone recalls the post about 30 pages or so ago... where someone was having difficulty getting their feed dogs to advance the fabric? I think she had a Singer 66 Redeye? Does anyone know if she ever figured out what was wrong?

Judy
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi Nancy - As you can tell I am a real novice, feeling around in the dark.... Thought I was so cool, could tell the model.. Sigh. Well, I am always willing to learn!! :oops: Now, I am not even sure if this is the serial number... it is the number on the flat part of the machine, in front of the main part of the body of the machine, below the medallion. It is
G1097672
If you could help me learn more about her, I would be delighted! Thanks for any help you can offer!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks!! I will try to be very gentle with those beautiful decals -- I just love them! I will do some research and find out more about her, now that I know she is a 115! Thanks, again!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
OK, you guys I have been pining over a Graybar that our local antique store has had for a month or so. I need to be talked out of this machine!!!! I don't need another machine! Nancy
Oh Nancy.... you know... if you just 'compare' yourself to the all the machine's BILLY has.... then you know you don't have enough yet! Easy! Go get it! Lol!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by Glenn
kathie your machines are wonderful, I must start looking again!!! :lol: My wife will kill me if I do :lol: Glenn
That is okay Glenn, you can only die once and than you get to go to sewing machine Heaven, nothing wrong with that LOl. Hubby told me that 14 machines are enough. The sad thing is that he is right. That is until the next one comes around that I want. I am wanting a coffin top and a red eye. Kathie
Oh Glenn, I'll pm you with my name, address and DOB so you can add a codicil in your will regarding those sewing machine.... um, since I know you'll 'always' be looking! lol j/k