Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1553 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 553 1053 1453 1503 1543 1552 1553 1554 1563 1603 1653 ... LastLast
Results 38,801 to 38,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Here's standing in the door looking left- the cutting table is in the middle of the room, Singer 201 nd red table with a zig zag set up on the left wall.
    on the right wall is cabinets the SINK and you can see the cutting table a little bette.
    More organized than mine...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Attachment 371818. Here's standing in the door looking left- the cutting table is in the middle of the room, Singer 201 nd red table with a zig zag set up on the left wall.
    on the right wall is cabinets the SINK and you can see the cutting table a little bette.
    Laura, great sewing space! But, why is that zig zag machine sitting on that beautiful red cabinet with nothing under the legs to protect the cabinet you painted? I'd make a little quilted sewing machine place mat or something! It looks like you can do some serious sewing in that room!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Oh my goodness I just spent hours playing catch-up,what a wealth of information here.
    Huge thank-you to all of you for sharing your knowledge of vintage machines.
    I have a 1948 15-90 singer , singer 1897 treadle, singer 99-3 & 2 Kenmores that I am not sure of exact dates. My latest is a WIP as I am told its a badged National, I want to turn her into a hand crank but am told probably can't do that unless I find another National for parts.
    Dee, you are right about turning the National into a HC. Mizkaki on here might be able to help you with that issue?

Miriam, so glad to hear the guy that hit your son has insurance! Also, I would like to see a better photo of the outfits you made for your trip! Here I thought you only played with machines and didn't sew much - shows how much I know!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    I thought that a few pictures of these non-cam buttonholers might be fun and useful. I dug out a few representatives from my collection (hoard).
    The BHer in the last pix is for an industrial class 31(high shank). It should fit the 31-15 and 31-20 machines.
    They are beasts, but work very well and don't need to be removed from the machine to change a cam size. The size adjustments are the wing nuts on the side.

Cathy

Attachment 371511Attachment 371512Attachment 371513
    Cathy, wouldn't it be cool if you or Pat or someone demonstrated how those old buttonholers work at our next TOGA? Something to think about - I would love to see someone make a buttonhole with a treadle or handcrank!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    Do keep us all posted. Most quilters have critters, I think..... they are part of our families and we love them. .... even feisty ones like our Gus. Our daughter's work friends know me as Gus' mom.
    Jean, that picture of Gus could be an ad for all kinds of dog related things - like take me with you, don't leave me home! What a great photo! That dog is just adorable!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I think a hand crank would be cool way to make a button hole with one of those gadgets. I just got another one working!!! Tensions were off.

Yes I really do sew when I'm not having too much fun with a sewing machine. I don't have a detailed pic of us in our duds. That was one somebody just snapped while we were sitting around. I do some of it by hand - I take it with me when I have some place where I have to wait. That cap was all hand sewn - I used an old linen blouse - linen is expensive - blouse at the thrift store for a buck. I made a matching pocket - I'd have to dig it all out...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Hi Everyone! I've been reminded that I'm a slacker and should get here and post!

I'm better...the meds are helping and I have more energy, still drag a bit, but really am much better!

I confess to spending a lot of time on this upcoming election, reading....reading...and reading some more! Have to make the right decisions! (Altho I've pretty much made up my mind )

No new machines lately, and I haven't even been on Craig's list or to my favorite haunts lately! Starting to feel the deprivation and have been itching to go out and do some serious junkin'!!

Gotta go back and read what everyone has been up to!! ~hugs all around~
    Charlee, it is really nice to hear you are doing better. Have you had any time to sew while you are preparing for the election!

Chris it is also nice to hear from you again! Did you get the Pfaff?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know how Texas Jan is doing - how her husband is doing?

Glenn?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Glenn?

Nancy
    I've been wondering the same. Just because I don't ask doesn't mean I don't think of some of you when you don't post.

Laura, great sewing space! But, why is that zig zag machine sitting on that beautiful red cabinet with nothing under the legs to protect the cabinet you painted? I'd make a little quilted sewing machine place mat or something! It looks like you can do some serious sewing in that room!

Nancy
    Nancy- not to worry- there is a piece of red felt under the machine to protect the table. Sorry the pics are so awful, but I figured I had to post something or it would all seem like a dream....next pictures will be more organized.

Had a frustrating evening- was sewing away on the pink quilt when a piece of the free motion foot broke off- didn't hit it or anything, just the spring sproinged. Well that little bit went down into the bobbin case and I marred the bobbin case and broke a needle, all in a matter of a minute! So now I am waiting for my industrial to have a new case and replacement foot to arrive before I can finish this hospice quilt. Good news is the bobbin case for an industrial is cheap. I guess the machine knew I was in a hurry! laura

Cathy, wouldn't it be cool if you or Pat or someone demonstrated how those old buttonholers work at our next TOGA? Something to think about - I would love to see someone make a buttonhole with a treadle or handcrank!
    Not me, Nancy! I'm just a voyeur. But I'd enjoy seeing a buttonhole demo at the next TOGA too. Volunteers??

pat

Blog Entries
    Charlee, it is really nice to hear you are doing better. Have you had any time to sew while you are preparing for the election!

Chris it is also nice to hear from you again! Did you get the Pfaff?

Nancy
    Nancy; Had to finish up a prayer shawl for the pastor yesterday and never got down to the store yesterday where it is but I have pm'd with Candace about the machine. I will look at it and clean it up some (remove lint from bobbin area) and try to sew with it. It has 12 stitches but not the IDT foot so it's a lower end machine which shop owner may or may not believe. I don't have a dog in the fight so I don't care if she believes me but I've had several people tell me it's not worth much more than $50. There can be issues with cracked plastic parts too which would make it a parts machine. I don't know how much looking & tinkering the shop owner will let me do so that may determine if I even make an offer.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I live in Stockton, Ca. Grew up in North Dakota.
    Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying reading all the threads regarding vintage machines. I have the bug. I'm learning how to fix them as I get them. It is sooo much fun. Almost as much as quilting free motion which I am learning as well. Definitely the novice.
    Peg

Nancy,

I'd love to do a BHer demo, and maybe a monogrammer demo too.
    Pat and I are still discussing the date for the next TOGA, maybe the last Friday or Saturday in December.

Cathy

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries

Glenn?

Nancy
    Tx Jan and her husband are doing fine so far. He had his last chemo this week. Now it is wait and see. He has had a rough time of it so lets hope it is over. I talk with her everyday and will ask her to post the latest for you guys.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Nancy,

Pat and I are still discussing the date for the next TOGA, maybe the last Friday or Saturday in December.

Cathy
    WAH WAH WAH I wanna come too...

Blog Entries

Glenn?

Nancy
    Thanks for asking about me!! Glenn is right, we are doing ok for now. Dick has his last chemo tomorrow for leukemia. His bone marrow won't take any more. He has had chemo for lymphoma that went to his bone marrow in 2010 and now two different chemo drugs for the leukemia, starting in June 2012. He has been hospitalized over 2 months of the past 5 months. He also had to have a heart procedure last week for an electrical heart problem. Now he is off most of the heart medicines he is feeling much better than he has in several months. Anyway he has one more month that the chemo will drag him down and probably put him in hospital with low blood counts and then the Dr's watch him and hope that the remission lasts a long time. I have not bought or worked on a machine since he got sick. I just don't have the time, but really don't have the patience to deal with cranky iron ladies right now. I read the Board almost every day and enjoy seeing what you all have, and I hope to be back amongst the collectors soon. Glenn has been so good to keep my spirits up and he and his wife Pat have been cheerleaders for me. Hopefully I will find a "new" normal soon.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Thanks for asking about me!! Glenn is right, we are doing ok for now. Dick has his last chemo tomorrow for leukemia. His bone marrow won't take any more. He has had chemo for lymphoma that went to his bone marrow in 2010 and now two different chemo drugs for the leukemia, starting in June 2012. He has been hospitalized over 2 months of the past 5 months. He also had to have a heart procedure last week for an electrical heart problem. Now he is off most of the heart medicines he is feeling much better than he has in several months. Anyway he has one more month that the chemo will drag him down and probably put him in hospital with low blood counts and then the Dr's watch him and hope that the remission lasts a long time. I have not bought or worked on a machine since he got sick. I just don't have the time, but really don't have the patience to deal with cranky iron ladies right now. I read the Board almost every day and enjoy seeing what you all have, and I hope to be back amongst the collectors soon. Glenn has been so good to keep my spirits up and he and his wife Pat have been cheerleaders for me. Hopefully I will find a "new" normal soon.

Texas Jan
    I'm glad to hear from you - thought you just vanished into thin air or something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'm glad to hear from you - thought you just vanished into thin air or something.
    Sounds like a good idea some days, but I've been on the road between Granbury and Ft Worth almost every day. That's about 40 miles each way, plus whatever we have to do there. Just part of my "contract". lol

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Jan, Keep up the good spirits, maybe you and your hubby are on the down side of all the medication now. Hope for the best to each of you.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Nancy,

Cathy
    They really are fun to watch! when I took a sewing class, the instructor liked my button holes best, and I was the only one there with a vintage machine. It was a really fun moment for me, to see everyone with their super expensive Berninas look surprised! He he! In fact, one of the gals found a vintage button hole maker that fit her modern machine, I thought that was the definition of a good sport! I have a monogram maker that I haven't played with yet- I should! Laura

Blog Entries
    I have some kind of monogram thing - never have made it work right. The buttonholer's make the best button holes.

Hello my name is Steve.
    When searching the internet for information the Quilting Board keeps coming up so I decided to just join.

I recently got my Wife's Great Grandmother's model 66 treadle up and sewing again and have started working on another 66 that arrived from eBay yesterday. Both machines were completely frozen and I have been amazed at how well and quickly these old singers respond to a little WD 40 and kind persuasion. The first machine makes really nice stiches and being a treadle is nearly silent. I hope to use the one I am working on now on a machine quilting frame for my wife (it is an electrified model). As best as I have been able to tell you have to spend close to $1000 dollars to get a new machine with a harp as big as the old singer 66. Any thoughts on using a 66 on a machine quilting frame would be welcome. Ok, that is who I am and what I am up to, just having fun working on a couple of old sewing machines.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IamaHam View Post
    Hello my name is Steve.
    When searching the internet for information the Quilting Board keeps coming up so I decided to just join.

I recently got my Wife's Great Grandmother's model 66 treadle up and sewing again and have started working on another 66 that arrived from eBay yesterday. Both machines were completely frozen and I have been amazed at how well and quickly these old singers respond to a little WD 40 and kind persuasion. The first machine makes really nice stiches and being a treadle is nearly silent. I hope to use the one I am working on now on a machine quilting frame for my wife (it is an electrified model). As best as I have been able to tell you have to spend close to $1000 dollars to get a new machine with a harp as big as the old singer 66. Any thoughts on using a 66 on a machine quilting frame would be welcome. Ok, that is who I am and what I am up to, just having fun working on a couple of old sewing machines.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Steve
    Welcome Steve many of us have way more than two vintage machines and we sew with them all the time making quilts or whatever. The members here in VSMS will be more than happy to answer your questions. You are going to have fun here on the Quilting Board.

Skip By the way I see you are in Texas, I am a Texan from Decatur Tx
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Miriam,

Please do come. I even have a room for you, so no hotel bills.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    WAH WAH WAH I wanna come too...
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"