Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Question.. are these good deals?

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/atq/2318477734.html <- I like the look of this one, but not sure

Any help is appreciated, I'd like to get a few new ones for relatively cheap.
I would go look at the third one just for the cabinet. Also, find out if the cabinet has a treadle irons. I would toss the motor to the machine, and set machine up for treadle use.
Have fun shopping!
I didn't even think about that--I actually bought one that had the irons removed once, as I had another one at home with irons and a rough cabinet. I never got around to doing anything with them, so sold them together to someone who put them together into a nice parlor cabinet!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Nice, solid machines; remind me of the Wheeler and Wilson # 9. They don't come up very often, but I would guestimate they are worth about the same as a Singer--that is, in good shape, anywhere from $75 to $150, depending on the location.

Originally Posted by Damienvon3
I have to re-new my homeowners insurance policy for my collectibles and am thinking of adding the old machines to it for proper coverage of them. I posted this machine clear back on page 931 here but I am having a hard time finding past sold or any value for this machine.. Can anyone please help.

The Phoenix Sewing AG Baer & Rempel is a treadel machine that at some point was converted to electric with a Singer motor. I believe it is a 28Z model. The cabinet is in pretty good shape and I gave it a pretty good scrub today. I didn't do anything to the machine itself yet so it looks dirty in the pictures. It to has the owners manual and also the box of accessories and the original tool wrench. I will convert it back to a treadel as the only thing that I need is a belt.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM

FWs are still going for fairly high prices (as compared to other vintage machines.) $485 for a machine in great condition, complete (case, attachments, manual, etc.) and table is not out of line.

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I recently saw a FW in a sewing machine store. Checked it out & the Singer badge was extremely off-colored - brassy not silver. Talked with the repairman at the shop. He quoted me a price of $399.99 and a steal at that. Playing along, I asked about the badge's color and then he said it was a reproduction FW but the pricee was solid - just like he'd charge for an original. Now this FW was black and looked like the real deal minus the badge. So, I'm wondering if this shop is as upfront with all it's customers or just with those who have some knowledge. I just couldn't believe the price for a reproduction.
Chris you think that price was crazy we went to an antique flea market over the weekend and a man there had a fw. He had the machine, case and the fw table he was asking $585.00 and came down to 485 and wouldn't come down any more. He kept saying they are hard to come by. We didn't tell him we had several of them. Another lady said she has sold them from time to time for about 200 or 220.00 depending on the condition. We got her phone number to call her later.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Ahhh--I thought the repro FWs looked a bit different than the "real" ones??
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I recently saw a FW in a sewing machine store. I just couldn't believe the price for a reproduction.
Chris you think that price was crazy we went to an antique flea market over the weekend and a man there had a fw. He had the machine, case and the fw table he was asking $585.00 and came down to 485 and wouldn't come down any more. Another lady said she has sold them from time to time for about 200 or 220.00 depending on the condition.
What got me was that it was a reproduction, not an original, and that was the asking price. Not worth it for my money; however, they'll probably sell it to someone who only hears FW!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 PM

I do apologize in advance, and freely admit that I have not read thru all 1037 pages yet. I have only gotten to round 65 or so.

I need to find out how to clean the irons on my treadle without damaging them. They are in great shape already but filthy, no rust, scratches or gouges. Just lots of dirt.

What do ya'll use on them?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I do apologize in advance, and freely admit that I have not read thru all 1037 pages yet. I have only gotten to round 65 or so.

I need to find out how to clean the irons on my treadle without damaging them. They are in great shape already but filthy, no rust, scratches or gouges. Just lots of dirt.

What do ya'll use on them?
My DH takes them to the carwash and that really cleans them up then he repaints them, if needed.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
alissa, great buy. I do not have FW fever, but when I see a good looking black 301, I want it. My tan one sews very well, but the black is so pretty.
Hi there... I've heard that the black 301s are more prone to aluminum 'rot' than the tan or LBOW versions. Don't know if that's true or not. They are cool...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM

kwendt, I had forgotten that I had heard that, too. Mine is in such perfect shape cosmetically- not a blemish anywhere. I will satidfied with Miss AnnieRose because she does sew so well, tan or not. I like the $61 I paid for her, too.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM

I did go look at the Singer site. My machine was indeed made in 1954. I like her age just fine. I'm kinda glad that she wasn't a 1930's machine.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

I was wondering if anyone could share information on a 1920 Green Singer 127 Sphinx. I was talking to a lady today and she said she had one and they were quite rare. I have never seen or heard of a green sphinx and just wondered if anyone else knew anything about them.

Judy