Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1576 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 576 1076 1476 1526 1566 1575 1576 1577 1586 1626 1676 ... LastLast
Results 39,376 to 39,400 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post
    Hi, I joined this board in the spring and mostly just lurk in the background. Love this site. But you guys are such a bad influence. I've picked up 4 machines since reading this board. A 128 hand crank, a generic hand crank, a Singer 328K and a Singer 301(in excellent shape, I might add). Now I found a featherweight on Kijiji(canadian type Craig's list) for $50.00. Cosmetically it's in good shape. But this is what the selller has to say about the rest of it....

"just so were on the same page, the machine will need some repair. the motor runs and the pulley spins, but the rest is seized, I'm not sure how to fix it and have no time to figure it out'.

Could it be fixable with some time and patience. Any ideas what might be up? I figure for $50. it would be nice decoration for my sewing room if all else fails. But I'm optomistic that it is fixable. Any other questions I should ask?
    This is listed several provinces away where my son lives so if he is kind enough to pick it up for me, it will be home at Christmas time when he comes.
    Thanks
    Rosie, get the machine! I have 6 FW's. I have worked on a couple of friends FW's that were frozen solid! Those little machines were made so precise that even a hair wrapped around the bobbin assembly can seize one up. I worked on one little FW that belonged to an friend for hours pulling out - a little at a time - hair and thread! They thought the machine was ruined, but it just had this very long hair with a little thread all wrapped up in the bobbin assembly! Another thing is if someone took the needle plate off to clean the bobbin area/feed dogs they may not have put it back on with the finger in the grove! That is a very common problem. For $50 I'd be jumping on that machine! Ask Cathy here, Mizkaki, she will tell you! Those little FW's are great machines, easy to fix!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have just got a little HC with the original HC complete with attachments. It is a Nelsons No. 45 never heard of it but looks like a New Home to me. Can anyone tell me about it?
    Skip
    Skip, what a cute little machine! It looks sort of like a New Home, but not exactly? Most of the little New Homes I've seen, have - have the weird tension on top. Is it a 3/4 sized machine - it looks like it from the photo, but - sitting on your cutting mat like it is - the case measures about 20"s?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-18-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Just checking in--A big thank you for all your kind thoughts and prayers during the illness and death of my dear husband, Dick. I am starting to make a dent in all that must be done. Jenn B did call me right as I was coming back from the funeral, so I wasn't joking about getting one of her machines. She asked if there was anything she could do for me, and I said I'd love to have that maple cabinet machine from the museum sale. Hey, couldn't hurt to ask---She and I talked awhile today and perhaps we will get together after the holidays. Glenn and Pat have been so supportive and I value their friendship more each day. I'm reading the list most days, but perhaps in a few days I will be more mentally ready to begin this new life chapter.
    Hugs to all,

Texas Jan
    Jan it is no nice to have you back. Like I told you when we talked, life doesn't slow down. It seems wrong somehow when our world is so upside down that life just keeps rolling along without so much as a hicup. It is like you fall off for a while, then you just have to get back on. I have never gotten over that feeling - being so mad at everything in my world when both my parents died 6 days apart. I am so glad you are coming back. That void/hole in your world will always be there, but hopefully you have a very supportive family who help you, and I know you have your fur babies! My horses saved my life when my world turned up side down! Time/faith will help you heal. A big hug to you!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Jennb,

A nice machine. It should clean up beautifully.

Cathy
    Cathy, thank you for the information on the spring next to the bobbin casing! Great photo with that big red arrow!

Jenn, I want a Jones! That machine will be beautiful when cleaned up! Let us see a picture after you wipe it down with sewing machine oil!

Nancy

I just came upon this thread and Have read several of the posts. I am wondering do you all really quilt on the old sewing machines? Or do you purchase them to restore and sit around the house...I think they are beautiful....Can you post pictures of quilts that you have made....

Blog Entries
    Nancy my wife said it reminded her of the Singer 28 HC I have. I am sure this is a badged machine.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by hisgrace1 View Post
    I just came upon this thread and Have read several of the posts. I am wondering do you all really quilt on the old sewing machines? Or do you purchase them to restore and sit around the house...I think they are beautiful....Can you post pictures of quilts that you have made....
    There is a thread called 'Quilts made using vintage machines!' in this same forum.

Blog Entries
    Yes, a lot of us on this board use treadles or hand cranks all the time. Others on here make their projects with vintage machines. As Judy said go to http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t134918.html and you will see some of the projects we have done on the treadles/vintage/antique machines. These very old machines have perfect stitches most of the time. We all love rescuing the machines and using them. When I am sewing at home I usually only use treadles to sew. I even have a Singer 319w in treadle that does decorative stitches. This board and our antique/vintage machine addiction is very contagious!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Joe where are you? Did you see the post on my new HC? Don't know what it is but it is really nice.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

The cam stack has what appears to be a timing mark on the top. But it was covered with gunk and I didn't see it until I cleaned it off.
    It might not be a timing mark at all but I'm getting it back together after a thorough cleaning and this is holding me back.

Joe

Blog Entries
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
    Singer 401 repair manual is around page 125 or after
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Jan I am pretty much a lurker on this thread, just absorbing and learning but I so wanted to pass along my condolences regarding your Hubby...Big Quilty Hugs.
    dee in Utah
    Thank you Dee

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    The world does keep on spinning and I have found out how many wonderful friends I have here at home and all across the country, from my dog rescue days and my vintage sewing machine friends. I will be here a bit more now. As usual, Glenn has found another beautiful hand crank machine. He has the best luck.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post

"just so were on the same page, the machine will need some repair. the motor runs and the pulley spins, but the rest is seized, I'm not sure how to fix it and have no time to figure it out'.
    Rosie, can you see a belt in the picture? It sounds to me like it's missing a belt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    The world does keep on spinning and I have found out how many wonderful friends I have here at home and all across the country, from my dog rescue days and my vintage sewing machine friends. I will be here a bit more now. As usual, Glenn has found another beautiful hand crank machine. He has the best luck.

Texas Jan
    I have good luck because you are on my side.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Joe,

The cam stack is replaced just as removed. No indexing just drop into place , you might need to rock it back and forth slightly to seat it.

Cathy

QUOTE=J Miller;5665938]Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

The cam stack has what appears to be a timing mark on the top. But it was covered with gunk and I didn't see it until I cleaned it off.
    It might not be a timing mark at all but I'm getting it back together after a thorough cleaning and this is holding me back.

Joe[/QUOTE]
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    there is a thread on the board that says quilts made using vintage machines. Check it all out. You will find a wealth of knowledge on machines and on quilting. Everyone is like a big family here. I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
    Singer 401 repair manual is around page 125 or after
    Miriam,
    Thanks. I got it downloaded, went to save it and found I already had it. I just didn't recognize it do to the file name. So I renamed it.

Joe

Joe,

The cam stack is replaced just as removed. No indexing just drop into place , you might need to rock it back and forth slightly to seat it.

Cathy

QUOTE=J Miller;5665938]Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

Joe
    [/QUOTE]

Cathy,
    Thanks.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Cathy

Joe
    [/QUOTE]

Cathy,
    So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.

Miriam,

Taking the cam-stack out doesn't change the timing on this series.

Cathy

[/QUOTE]So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.[/QUOTE]

Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

Taking the cam-stack out doesn't change the timing on this series.

Cathy

So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Well, Cathy, you must be right nothing has flubbed up on one yet here. Taking it out does make it a bit easier to clean up that stitch selectors I guess.

there is actually a sticky thread of quilt photos. Most of us use vintage machines, varying from all-the-time to occasionally. And we start getting selective- the 201 for piecing, the 15 for FMQ, etc.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Nancy my wife said it reminded her of the Singer 28 HC I have. I am sure this is a badged machine.
    Skip
    It sort of reminds me of my New Home T No 3, but different too. The shape of the slide plates and needle plate are the same, but the tension is not on top like most of the New Homes. The decals are really purrrrty. Yes, it does look like a 28 too? Actually more like a 28 to me than a New Home, but it is full sized isn't it?

Nancy

Glenn,

I'm a little late to the party. This is one beautiful machine. According the Needlebar it is a New Home model "P". The picture that they have is listed a 1917 version. They said it was imported into England during or after WW1 when German machines weren't being imported.

Cathy

I have just got a little HC with the original HC complete with attachments. It is a Nelsons No. 45 never heard of it but looks like a New Home to me. Can anyone tell me about it?
    Skip
    Cathy