Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by colleen53
i am looking on a new singer , sphnix i believe for a serial number.. cann anyone help with this?
I don't believe Singer made the Sphinx with a stitch regulator like that machine? I'd be willing to bet that machine is a reproduction of the Singer 127 - probably made in Taiwan or China? If that is the case the serial number may be under the bed, but you will not be able to 'date' the machine as those records were not kept up.

ty nancy but we know it was made in Japan due to the serial number.. and it was made after 1956.
Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
If you got the centennial and it is an authentic FW, not a reproduction, YOU GOT A STEAL! Geeze Louise! What a deal you got! That machine here would be about $500!

Nancy

How can you tell if you have a reproduction? Can you tell if I post a picture? I am still not believing this!!

Quiilter711
Nancy
If it is a repro, it won't say Singer and won't have the Singer badge! You have a real machine for sure if it has the Singer badge! The FW's all say singer!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone, My 'pillque' (computer) went down about three weeks ago, and it took me a little while to get up and running again. It has taken me two weeks to get caught up with you guys and dolls. First, may I send out my condolences to all who have endures losses of love one's. May I send blessing to who have made it through the storms, fires, and floodings. May I send congrats to all who have obtain new acquired ladies. May I wish everyone a belated 'Mother's day. I thank all of you for the very much welcome shared knowledge concerning these percious ladies. And last, I'd like to share I have acquired two ancient beauties of my own. One an ancient hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted QULIT. The other is a FW. I know, you want to see pictures. I have to take pics, first and then I can post them. Oh yea, the quilt may be 60 to 80 years old. The speciality cleaners is quessing that age, because of the fabric that it is made with. Let me say good blessings to all.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
If you got the centennial and it is an authentic FW, not a reproduction, YOU GOT A STEAL! Geeze Louise! What a deal you got! That machine here would be about $500!

Nancy

How can you tell if you have a reproduction? Can you tell if I post a picture? I am still not believing this!!

Quiilter711
Nancy
If it is a repro, it won't say Singer and won't have the Singer badge! You have a real machine for sure if it has the Singer badge! The FW's all say singer!

Nancy
BoJangles, thank you so very much for verifying that it is a true centennial machine. I don't think the woman that sold it to me had any idea and I didn't know until I got home and looked at the badge and s/n. The shiny coating and gold is just perfect all over the machine. This was my lucky day :thumbup: Now it is someone else's turn to get lucky :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
Mpeters1200, I had to laugh after reading this post! You must be very young girl! Zigzag in sewing machines didn't happen regularly until the 50's and later. Most of our vintage machines didn't even reverse, much less zigzag. The early machines that did zigzag were pretty much doing it with the help of a cam or external device. It is so funny the things we learn, things we just take for granted that we always had! I love it!

Nancy
Yes, I am. I'm going to be 32 this month. My mother had a FW that I inherited. I have to dig it out of the garage. Now, no one beat me up that it's in the garage. I put it in there to keep it safe. I didn't realize the damage that can be done to it hanging out in the garage until just recently. A friend of mine looked at it, her FW works great. She says all it needs is a bobbin case.

I came across my vintage 66 quite by accident. I was looking at the new janome 1100.00 and the new brother pq1500 is what I fell in love with. The cheapest I could find it for, brand new, was 600.00 and I thought my husband was going to have some type of shock/seizure/fit when I told him the great 'deal' it was at 600.00 new. He chopped my budget by just over 2/3. After becoming discouraged about never finding a machine with a large throat, I walked into my regular repair shop to ask about the price on my regular machine's yearly physical. He had the most beautiful machines in the shop and I just walked around and around. Then he said they were all in working order and everything. Every last machine in his shop is a vintage singer except 2 from the 70's, but even those are old. I saw my 66 sitting there and asked about her throat size. It was the exact same one I was looking at. I fell in love at first site and brought her home 2 weeks later.

I still don't know what cams are, but I did figure out the clampy things that people are talking about on here. I joined this thread at page 930 and have been trying to keep up with the current stuff and still go back and look from the beginning. I'm up to page 300 so far. I'm still learning everything.

I wish my mom would have lived long enough to see me own another Singer and have hers up and running. I did honestly think that all machines could zig zag and that you can drop any feed dogs. I'm still a newbie. The only thing I'm an expert at is my little 8 pound janome. It's only by Grace that I've not killed her yet. I was pretty rough on her the first couple of years while I was learning.

Sorry about the book. I'm literally trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Honestly, these older machines remind me of old cars, gears, cams, goodness, lots of parts!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM

[quote=ewecansew]
Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)
Love the quilt top! I didn't realize you were piecing the machines, I figured you were using a panel! I'd love to have that pattern - who makes the pattern? I could make that quilt with the colors of my machines!

Nancy
It is an old pattern from Mumm's the Word (Debbie Mumm) from 1989 called 'All Sewed Up'. It may have also been in one of her early books.
Yes, it is a Debbie Mumm pattern but is from a book called "Quick Country Quilting" published in 1992. I got the book at a shop here called 'Half-Price Books' for $4 so couldn't pass it up.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 PM

To the lady looking for the "JONES" machine who said one was on ebay --so I wanted to see what one looked like.Went thru to last of 28 pages to see the beautiful machine. Good luck with getting it for your daughter -never heard of the brand.
Took hours because I found a number of things I would like but didn't bid on anything as we had trouble with our Paypal
delivering things to Canadian address. Oh well!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 PM

I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
Mpeters1200, I had to laugh after reading this post! You must be very young girl! Zigzag in sewing machines didn't happen regularly until the 50's and later. Most of our vintage machines didn't even reverse, much less zigzag. The early machines that did zigzag were pretty much doing it with the help of a cam or external device. It is so funny the things we learn, things we just take for granted that we always had! I love it!

Nancy
Yes, I am. I'm going to be 32 this month.

I wish my mom would have lived long enough to see me own

Sorry about the book. I'm literally trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Honestly, these older machines remind me of old cars, gears, cams, goodness, lots of parts!
M. take your time, don't try to soak it all up at once. It's a lot to learn. I'm 63 and I grow up with some of this old machines and there are things I didn't realize about them either. That's why the shop is here and that is one reason why the shop was created so that we all can learn from one another. We all didn't just start out knowing these things. We were growing into it via trial and error and asking questions. You are in the right place and keep right here and learning by reading and doing. We are here to help you so that you may share with someone also.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM

[quote=cherrybsixty][quote=mpeters1200]

Yes, I am. I'm going to be 32 this month.

I wish my mom would have lived long enough to see me own

M. take your time, don't try to soak it all up at once. It's a lot to learn. I'm 63 and I grow up with some of this old machines and there are things I didn't realize about them either. That's why the shop is here and that is one reason why the shop was created so that we all can learn from one another. We all didn't just start out knowing these things. We were growing into it via trial and error and asking questions. You are in the right place and keep right here and learning by reading and doing. We are here to help you so that you may share with someone also.

mpeters, I'm new at all of this too. Started collecting machines last summer. I would have only been collecting Singers if it hadn't been for this site and the wonderful folk here posting pictures of their beautiful machines, and/or talking about them. I have spent hours researching info. I see something on CLs or ebay and then google the info to learn more or see if the information is correct.

I didn't know what a cam was either. I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova that had cams; just that my mom never showed me how to use them since she didn't use them (she was an excellent seamstress that made all her Vogue clothes).

It wasn't until Purplfiend, Sharon, posted her zig-zag machine that got me wanting a zig-zag machine to treadle, and then an interest in finding a machine that does decorative stitches that can be treadled-and cams!

There are different types of cams for different machines.
Photo of flat cams for my 328k and a photo of the Singer 328k in treadle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197206.jpe   attachment-197207.png  
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Hi everyone, My 'pillque' (computer) went down about three weeks ago, and it took me a little while to get up and running again. It has taken me two weeks to get caught up with you guys and dolls. First, may I send out my condolences to all who have endures losses of love one's. May I send blessing to who have made it through the storms, fires, and floodings. May I send congrats to all who have obtain new acquired ladies. May I wish everyone a belated 'Mother's day. I thank all of you for the very much welcome shared knowledge concerning these percious ladies. And last, I'd like to share I have acquired two ancient beauties of my own. One an ancient hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted QULIT. The other is a FW. I know, you want to see pictures. I have to take pics, first and then I can post them. Oh yea, the quilt may be 60 to 80 years old. The speciality cleaners is quessing that age, because of the fabric that it is made with. Let me say good blessings to all.
Congrats on your finds! I would love to see pictures of the quilt. Please post!