Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Does anyone know about the Singer 185J or have one?
I have one that looks just like that but in a cabinet. I think they are a 15-185 (someone correct me, if I'm wrong) and you use the manual for the model 15. Sews great. Got mine in the cabinet at a thrift shop for less than $10
Thank you. I have a Singer 15-91 with its manual. The seller is asking over $100. Not sure yet, but I really do like the looks of it.

Do you have yours on here with its photos? :-D
I believe my 185 is the only one I don't have a picture of. I'll try to do that. She's in my quilting shop folded up right now.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

ok Thankyou all its a tucker. Got the how to on it Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM

If I can get a Model 66 for under $50, is that a good deal?

And are Vestas (hand-cranks) a good machine?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 PM

I picked up a 66 w/cabinet for $10 and a garage sale last weekend. Needs a belt, new cord, spool pin and a major cleanup. No attachments or manual, had one bobbin. I think I did OK, it was a 1949 year, so I think that made it a 66-16, not sure about that. Lee
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Well, go make an offer and if you get it, just pack it up and ship it to Mississippi. I only have 1 antique (and 1 on the way) so I can find room. HeHe :)

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I don't need' another ' one." Why doesn't someone here go and get it? Nancy
Nancy since when does need have to do with anything. I will not go get it because I do not want to take the pleasure of owning this machine away from you. lol Besides what I spent Tuesday leaves no money in my pocket book. :cry: Kathie[/quote]
Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I just had an email from my son who found 2 x sewing machines on Freecycle, the poster said they had been on the side of the road (probably council cleanup) and they took them home, 'one is a musky pink Stirling brand and the other is a pale green Singer with red and gold detailing'

Hopefully I'll get to collect them this weekend along with the other two he got for me a few weeks back. Talk about family being enablers!!! LOL Will post photos once I have them home, now to figure out how to get more hours in the day....anyone know?

It's nice they think of us even though they have their own busy lives, isn't it?

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Oh everytime I see your machine I can not wait to get mine going! But I will not mess with it until I get all of my customers out of the way and I do a repaint (which will be a Candy Brandywine). I am looking so forward to getting my studio back up and running so I can have a quilting area separate from the service and collection.

Billy
Oh, "Hank" is a wonderful machine! I had fun testing out all the decorative stitches. And I have used it to add decorative stitching to my latest quilt binding, always fun doing that.

Your machine will look wonderful in your custom cabinet. I'm looking forward to how you go about correcting the problem of the treadle belt hitting the metal part of the machine under the bobbin area without cutting the metal area out like some others have done. I don't like the idea of defacing my machine; so, I will just live with the little bit of rubbing that the belt does against the metal for now.

Have fun with this project!
Oh I am cutting the machine! I do not have any issues in modifying something to fit my needs :lol:

Billy
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
If I can get a Model 66 for under $50, is that a good deal?

And are Vestas (hand-cranks) a good machine?
Yes for both of the questions! I love the 66 and it is my favorite machine to work on, and boy do they sew smoothly.

Billy
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
PAY DIRT!!!!! IT'S FFFFFRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Here is a site with FREE SERVICE MANUALS!!!!! The 401 is page 124 of a very long pdf!!! It is the same thing I got for $10 or $12 some where on line There are manuals of all kinds. I'm book marking this page for myself!

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...e-manuals.html

Spot on and great job!!!! Thank you for posting the link :D

Billy
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Does anyone know about the Singer 185J or have one? I would like to learn more about it. My understanding is they are similar to the Singer 99. :-D
They are really nice machines. I own a 185K (which has the plated faceplate) and I painted one for a little girl for her Christmas Present. You can never go wrong with this machine!

Billy

The repaint I did for the little girl, I just love these colors!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198141[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198135.jpe