Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1611 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 611 1111 1511 1561 1601 1610 1611 1612 1621 1661 1711 ... LastLast
Results 40,251 to 40,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

if you consider the majority of the world to be "normal" I am certain that I do not qualify. nor would I want to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    if you consider the majority of the world to be "normal" I am certain that I do not qualify. nor would I want to.
    Yeah - know what you mean...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Yeah - know what you mean...
    I agree with you on this.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    This is the hemmer that needs the part. The saw blade wheel would go on the end that is in the bottom right corner.
    Hi Crossstitcher,

Nice looking Davis. She's an old girl, made in 1894, and is called a "VF2". Here's an excellent chart with all the flavors of Davis Vertical feeds since it get's a little confusing:
    http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html
    The VF2 was made from 1894 to 1911. I have your hemmer collecting dust if you still need it.

Jon

hey folks, here is a old fiddle base machine for $75
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/atq/3561447899.html

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Modern Home, do you have a serial number? That looks like a White FR or Family Rotary in a crinkle finish. The FR was manufactured from about 1890 until about 1930.

Nancy
    Nancy, I believe the serial number is 43x4489 or 49x4489. Do you know any thing about this machine? Any info will help thank you.

Blog Entries
    Trish, WOW I love the Davis! Be very careful with her decals - they are fragile! You are lucky to have the decals in that good a shape! You will love sewing with that machine! My Davis, actually both of them - the Davis Vertical Feed and my Davis New Vertical Feed, are both great machines! The only problem I have with my 2 Davis machines is that the New Vertical Feed will not fit in the original Vertical Feed's cabinet! I wanted to be able to interchange them, but no go! Anyway, you will love love love that machine - it is so much fun to sew with!

Nancy
    Nancy I know what you mean sewing with the Davis is fun. This makes my 4th one. But the one I like the best is the one that will use a standard needle and not the expensive long ones.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Nancy I know what you mean sewing with the Davis is fun. This makes my 4th one. But the one I like the best is the one that will use a standard needle and not the expensive long ones.
    An inexpensive alternative to the "Davis long" needle is the MTx190, a common industrial. No fun spending $3 a needle for the Longs. Work on the older Davis and Davis badged Underfeeds too.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Home View Post
    Nancy, I believe the serial number is 43x4489 or 49x4489. Do you know any thing about this machine? Any info will help thank you.
    Modern Home, hopefully someone else on here can steer you in the right direction to find dating information on your sewing machine. I use to have all the White dating information bookmarked, but I can't seem to find it now!

Anyone know what happened to the White Dating site that use to belong to Arachnesobsession?

Nancy

Anyone know what happened to the White Dating site that use to belong to Arachnesobsession?

Nancy[/QUOTE]

Anyone using "Webshot's" now called "Smile" has to pay for the privilege. I miss that site and hopefully a new home is found.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post

Nancy
    Anyone using "Webshot's" now called "Smile" has to pay for the privilege. I miss that site and hopefully a new home is found.

Jon[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jon! Darn, what a great site that use to be for identifying White's and dating them! Treadleon has a limited amount of dating of the White, but nothing like we use to find on the Arachnesobsession site! It is a shame when something so informative is taken away from all the collector's. I only have one Rotary Electric Embossed Black Crinkle White machine from 1931.

Modern Home come to think of it, your White is very similar to my White and mine is a Rotary Electric! Your machine is not the embossed style, but it sure looks similar.
    Name:  White Rotary Crinkle Embossed.JPG
Views: 1327
Size:  1.07 MB
    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 01-26-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Jeann View Post
    As promised here is the Wilson Rotary popped back into its cabinet after it was refinished by my b/f. He also rewired the machine and added a foot peddle to it. I had him put the knee peddle back into the cabinet. It can be rewired if need be.
    Attachment 390497Attachment 390498Attachment 390499
    Tammy Jeann, beautiful machine and cabinet! Did you know, your Wilson Rotary is a White machine? Great job on the cabinet!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post

Nancy
    I am missing that site also. Somewhere in my pile of papers I KNOW I printed off each and every page of the White dating information. Gotta find it. Or may have saved the pages on my other computer. Guess I gotta go on a search mission.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Well everyone who is not following all the new 'threads' popping up here, I was inspired to try a vintage Singer buttonhole attachment for the first time yesterday. I have had a pair of size 1 jeans sitting around here since Thanksgiving. They had a broken zipper - a 2.5" zipper. I couln't find a heavy duty zipper that small, nor did I look forward to trying to put a zipper that size in a pair of jeans. The jeans belong to a 16 year old granddaughter who was hoping Gramama could fix. After reading how easy the buttonhole attachments are to use I decided to try to put a button in the place of the now ripped out zipper! Wow, was I amazed! I have several of those attachments, but had never tried to use one! I put the buttonhole attachment on my Singer 15-88 treadle, did a practice buttonhole using only the HC and walla - a perfect button hole! I will never go back to using my 'new' very expensive electric machines to try and put in button holes again! I just love love love that little buttonhole attachment!Name:  buttonhole attached.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  1.42 MBName:  buttonhole Kassjeans.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  1.22 MB

Blog Entries
    Ain't modern technology fun???
    I love my buttonholers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Ain't modern technology fun???
    I love my buttonholers.
    Heehee, so totally agree! I only make my buttonholes using the vintage buttonholers, and I only put in zippers using my Singer 201 since I love that zipper foot ( works on FW and some other Singers too).

We have quite a few machines that have built in button hole settings. Not one will make a button hole as good as the old Singer or Greist buttonholler attachments. I've collected quite a few different ones too.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch of those button hole makers - I would prefer those over anything else. They are so easy to use. I think I have one for Kenmore but I don't know how it works.

Miriam,

Does your Kenmore one use the little rectangle cams? I have three different versions of Kenmore button hollers.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

Does your Kenmore one use the little rectangle cams? I have three different versions of Kenmore button hollers.

Joe
    I think it might - we'll dig it out when you and Elaine come back.

I need to do a better photo essay on those I have. Since the picture I just posted on the other thread was made I've added quite a few new ones to my collection.

Joe

Blog Entries
    So Joe, are the buttonholers catagorized by the color of their box/case? The first one I tried to attach to my 15-88 did not work. I took the thread cutter off and still no go, which puzzled me because I know those old Singer buttonhole attachments are suppose to work on the vintage machines. So I got out a different buttonhole attachment - the mechanism looked exactly the same until I compared them side by side. It was obvious that the first one I tried to attach to my Singer 15-88 treadle was for a slant machine! It came in a burgundy case. The second one I tried went right on the 15-88 - a low shank attachment that came in a green case. Both the attachments are black and look identical except for the slant part. I also have a white Singer buttonholer that uses plastic templates instead of the metal ones like the first two buttonholers. What machine does the white one go to? I saw the photo of your buttonhole attachments on the "buttonhole" thread. You have my 3 plus several more! Can you label them and take a photo for us? Do you know what those buttonholers work on?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I picked up a Pfaff 60 today from Craigslist. It is very plain, has no bells or whistles. It is complete, but I have to clean and oil it before I can try using it. Someone added a Japanese motor, which makes me think maybe it came out of a treadle cabinet?

Sharon, I know you treadle your Pfaff 60. Do you like that machine? This brings my total number of vintage Pfaffs to 11!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    So Joe, are the buttonholers catagorized by the color of their box/case? The first one I tried to attach to my 15-88 did not work. I took the thread cutter off and still no go, which puzzled me because I know those old Singer buttonhole attachments are suppose to work on the vintage machines. So I got out a different buttonhole attachment - the mechanism looked exactly the same until I compared them side by side. It was obvious that the first one I tried to attach to my Singer 15-88 treadle was for a slant machine! It came in a burgundy case. The second one I tried went right on the 15-88 - a low shank attachment that came in a green case. Both the attachments are black and look identical except for the slant part. I also have a white Singer buttonholer that uses plastic templates instead of the metal ones like the first two buttonholers. What machine does the white one go to? I saw the photo of your buttonhole attachments on the "buttonhole" thread. You have my 3 plus several more! Can you label them and take a photo for us? Do you know what those buttonholers work on?

Nancy
    The SLANT button holer says SLANT on the top of the shank - some of the others say STRAIGHT but not all of them say STRAIGHT. I have used plastic cams or metal - they seem to work either way
    You will know as soon as you try to install it if it doesn't fit the machine. I have one that looks real odd - don't know what it goes to - shank has a little pin inside it

Yep, Miriam got it covered ... mostly.

I have two Singer and one Greist slant shank button hollers and none of them are marked.
    The Singers are in the maroon colored plastic rectangle boxes. The Greist is in a paste board box.

I have several Singer straight shank units in the green rectangular boxes and none of them are marked either.
    I have one Singer straight shank unit in the green egg shaped box that is marked "straight".
    None of the Greist straight shank units are marked.

Basically if the button holler came in a plastic red, pinkish, or maroon box of any shape it is a slant shank unit.
    If it came in any plastic box of any shade of green it's for a straight shank machine.

The Professional and other button hollers in the paste board boxes are harder to tell. You have to read the label on the box or look at the button holler to see what's in there.

Joe