Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I found this on our local Craig's List. Asking $175. Haven't talked to them yet re: details so wanted to see if anyone can tell brand/model by the photos?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have decisions to make on a couple of others by tomorrow nite. (sigh)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2390482085.html
Looks like a model 15 because the tension control is on the face plate. I could be wrong..

However.. I saw these at great prices:
http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2333381913.html
http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2368312947.html

I'd love either of those!

(P.S. I grew up in Jackson!)
good prices - check the 401 over real good to make sure the thing isn't locked up - some where after page 1000 on here I have a check list for buying those...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I found this on our local Craig's List. Asking $175. Haven't talked to them yet re: details so wanted to see if anyone can tell brand/model by the photos?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have decisions to make on a couple of others by tomorrow nite. (sigh)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2390482085.html
Looks like a model 15 because the tension control is on the face plate. I could be wrong..

However.. I saw these at great prices:
http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2333381913.html
http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2368312947.html

I'd love either of those!

(P.S. I grew up in Jackson!)
I believe the treadle SM posting is a Singer 15 with an RAF decal and looks to be in good condition. The straight leg cabinet might be a little more noisy then others but I like the sleek style.

However, I like all 3 of them! If I lived in Jackson, I'd take them for a test run and then see if the owners would negotiate :)

Happy hunting!

Judy
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
No Nancy we have a 26 foot tow behind with all the good stuff. Flat screen TV, airconditioning, full kitchen and bath. We camped all over Europe in a tent but we will never do that again. Glenn
That's not camping!! That's moving.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pegstar
Hi,

I have a featherweight and just purchased a black 301 in
excellent condition....but I have a question...read that all the
little oiling holes should have wicks in them....one or 2 of mine
don't....it that OK or are they a necessity? If so where would
I get them?

Thanks,
Peg
A few of them will not have wicks in them. If you have some missing wicks it will not hurt but you can make some out of wool felt.

Congratulations on the 301!!

Billy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
PQ1500S is a 1500 stitches per minute, straight stitch (only) machine with pin feed, 9" harp and best of all for quilters, drop feed. It's commonly used on a quilting frame although I use mine on a sewing table at times when I feel the need for speed!!! I bought mine secondhand on eBay (with reservations) but would never part with it...what a fantastic machine!

They are being stretched by Rick of WOW Quilts, just googled and found is website along with a message about stretching Singer 201's.... <http://www.wowquilts.com/aboutus.htm> I got a quote from him to stretch mine but shipping to/from Australia was way too much...oh well!!! LOL

Here's a couple of photos, look along the top cover for an insert which is about the only visible evidence the machine is anything other than stock standard.

Billy and Glenn, would be interested to hear your thoughts too? I think (given the correct tools and workshop) this could be done easily, problem is I don't have this access these days. Oh well dreaming is free!!

Bronwyn
:mrgreen:
Bronwyn, this is really interesting! I did not realize that there was someone actually 'stretching' machines! Geeze, a 20 1/2 inch harp space! I have the HQ 16 (16 inch harp space) long arm setup on a 10 foot table, I also have the Pfaff Grand Quilter with a 9 inch harp space, but to have a quilting machine with a 20 1/2 inch harp space without spending a small fortune would be something.

What do you mean you put your machine on a sewing table when you want speed? I would think having it on the frame would be the fastest way to quilt?

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Thank you Nancy - I did do the piecing, and I am slowly quiliting it.
Both my 15-91 and my Necchi are much smaller than the opening in this cabinet, and only have one hole for the hinge pins?
Well, that is good to know! I was thinking 'case' but you are talking 'cabinet.' I was thinking you got a case at a thrift store, but you bought a cabinet? I guess, I was thinking 'case' as someone on here posted a while back that most of the portable sewing cases work with most machines. I am looking for a case for a couple of my machines.
Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM

[quote=Charlee]
Originally Posted by RUSewing
Help needed with a dilemma. DH and I are planning our Will. Sadly none of my children or DILs sew or appreciate vintage machines, what would you with them? (My sewing stash will go to a children's charity.)
I agree with the rest, you might be surprised who takes the machines for the sentimental, historical, and because they are beautiful pieces to have around. I am leaving my granddaughters all a featherweight. I know 4 of them will keep the machines because they were my machines, the other one will probably sell it for the money -- but, that is ok -- atleast grandma gave her something. My daughter does not sew, but she will keep my Mother's beloved Pfaff 130 and my first Pfaff 1222e. All the kids want a treadle, just because they think they are so neat -- they don't sew either. You just might be surprised who wants the machines.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
Here is our latest machine.

We acquired the machine (hubby traded one of his swords for it) one weekend and the table (he traded an antique pistol) the following weekend at two different locations, both were at outdoor antique fairs.

I was looking for cams for my 500A Rocketeer at the first antique fair. I found nearly all the ones I needed and a professional buttonholer for the Rocketeer.

Hubby spied the 301. It needed a few parts but hubby didn't have much into the sword so we got a good deal.
We have replaced the needle plate, the bottom cover with the felt pad & screw, a complete hook assembly and a bobbin case.

The last part came today and then I attempted to put the hook assembly in and I knew it had to go in a certain way. Oh, I had to replace a gib screw for the gib which is part of the hook assembly. The man I purchased the gib screw from deals with Featherweights and 301s. I just called him and asked him if he would talk me through putting the hook assembly in. First time the needle hit, so I knew I hadn't seated the assembly correctly on the shaft. The second time, it went on like it was suppose to. I must admit I did say a prayer the second time before putting it back on.

I haven't named her yet. All I know is that this machine was the dirtiest machine I have ever cleaned. Must have belonged to a smoker, but once the tar and nicotine was off she shined up nice.

For now she sits in our living room ready to sew, near the Rocketeer and some of the other machines we have. It's getting crowded in here and we just rearranged the living room to accomodate the Rocketeer. lol
Deara, how cool is that! Look at all your machines! Wow, and most of them are set up so you can just sit down and sew! I would love to have my Rocketeer in a cabinet, but I have to take it out to the table to sew - which I do all the time! I just can't fit any more cabinets!

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
No Nancy we have a 26 foot tow behind with all the good stuff. Flat screen TV, airconditioning, full kitchen and bath. We camped all over Europe in a tent but we will never do that again. Glenn
HeHeHeHeHe! My kind of camping!

Geeze, two of you guys so far have said you have a blackside with all the black parts still intack! That is so cool!

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?
SewExtreme, I know nothing about that machine, but I would bet it was made my White! It looks like a work horse, and most of those machines are indestructible - and weigh a ton!

Nancy