Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM

[quote=Darcene][quote=mpeters1200]
Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I k
Now I haven't been able to read through all of the first 900 pages, but I have no idea the difference. My 66 has a motor and a belt. So does one only have a motor and the other only a belt? Is the belt one treadle only? Sorry for elementary questions....I just don't know. Potted motors? Were those added later to transfer a treadle machine to electric power?
Many of the older machines started their lives as treadle machines...then when more people had electricity become available the machines were converted to electrical power by mounting a motor onto the machine which was then connected to the drive shaft by use of an external belt. These are referred to as the belt drive machines. As electricity became more and more prevalent Singer developed a motor that was original to the machine and which did not require a belt. These motors are mounted up high on the tower of the machine and drive the drive shaft by use of internal gears....so if you find a machine that does not have an external belt and has a motor mounted up close to the top of the arm you have a potted motor....I hope this helps...it took me awhile to learn the difference and I hope that I have not made this too confusing.... :-) The 15-90 can be easily converted to a treadle while I don't think this is possible with the 15-91 due to the internal gears.....
Exactly the info I was looking for. I have an external belt and external motor on my 66. I'm going to assume it's not potted. It sure makes some of the pictures make more sense.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Good evening all, I mentioned last Friday that I was calling on a Singer 15-91. I went today to take a look at it, very clean, started right up so I brought her home. Lots of attachments and accessoreis came with it. My question is this. If a machine is running well should it be dismanteled and cleaned or can I just oil her up and give her an exterior clean and shine? Also I know in Billy's lessons he uses brass cleaner on the badge, my new machine has a centenal badge so I didn't know if I should use brass cleaner on it or not. If not what do you recommend?

Thanks for the input and I'll post pictures this weekend.
Marie, if the machine looks really clean you don't need the 'spa' treatment. I would just clean it good making sure the feed dogs are not full of lint, etc., oil it good, and use it!

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
The Montgomery Ward was driven by a little rubber wheel that rode around the balance wheel - it was a bit brittle and when it got hot it would just spin & not move the machine so needed to be replaced - it's what I didn't know how to fix.

I sold a REALLY cool machine called a Belaire to my boss a couple years ago. He said his wife almost left him when he brought it home... It was candy apple red and white - looked like a car.
The rubber wheel is called a 'friction wheel' and that is what runs the motor!

Geeze Louise!!!!!!!!! You had a candy apple red and white machine!!!!!! It had to be a 15 clone and that is one I am looking for! Wow, it is nice to know they can be found!

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Thanks Nancy! I need a couple of things for it to be tested out even. Belt, light kit, I wonder if you can just get the rubber wheel that goes to the bobbin winder .... or will I have to purchase the whole attachment part.
Those rubber wheels are readily available at any sewing repair shop. Even Wal Mart, Joannes carries them in a package. The problem is that some machines take a smaller than average wheel, like the Rocketeer and 127. I just get one of each size and you are good to go, one will fit. They come in small, medium - which most machines use -, and large.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
The Montgomery Ward was driven by a little rubber wheel that rode around the balance wheel - it was a bit brittle and when it got hot it would just spin & not move the machine so needed to be replaced - it's what I didn't know how to fix.

I sold a REALLY cool machine called a Belaire to my boss a couple years ago. He said his wife almost left him when he brought it home... It was candy apple red and white - looked like a car.
The rubber wheel is called a 'friction wheel' and that is what runs the motor!

Geeze Louise!!!!!!!!! You had a candy apple red and white machine!!!!!! It had to be a 15 clone and that is one I am looking for! Wow, it is nice to know they can be found!

Nancy
It is probably from the early 1960's from the look of it. My boss won't part with it - he says he has a Belaire parked in the house and his wife is ok with it.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Well, that is good to know! I was thinking 'case' but you are talking 'cabinet.' I was thinking you got a case at a thrift store, but you bought a cabinet? I guess, I was thinking 'case' as someone on here posted a while back that most of the portable sewing cases work with most machines. I am looking for a case for a couple of my machines.
Nancy
My Necchi is in one of those cases - but my Singer was in a wooden base, and since I am using it to fmq - that just wasn't working. I went to the thrift store looking for a desk I could cut into, and found 2 sewing cabinets. The one that fit my Singer was ugly as heck - the other didn't even register (was too excited) that it was too big. So I bought the one I liked better, and ended up going back for the other as well. So, of course now I need to find another machine to fit in the other cabinet
:lol: (It's my logic and I'm sticking to it)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
It has been awhile since my last visit, Wow the pages keep coming.
I am looking for a tension spring, the one the thread goes through for my Singer 27. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one that works, I got one off of e-bay but it is wrong and I tried to modify it to work but failed at my attempts. Thanks Pat
I got my check spring from Billy for my 127. Just pm Billy to see if he has some springs for the 27.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Thanks Nancy! I need a couple of things for it to be tested out even. Belt, light kit, I wonder if you can just get the rubber wheel that goes to the bobbin winder .... or will I have to purchase the whole attachment part.
Those rubber wheels are readily available at any sewing repair shop. Even Wal Mart, Joannes carries them in a package. The problem is that some machines take a smaller than average wheel, like the Rocketeer and 127. I just get one of each size and you are good to go, one will fit. They come in small, medium - which most machines use -, and large.

Nancy
you can find them on line too
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by Glenn
No Nancy we have a 26 foot tow behind with all the good stuff. Flat screen TV, airconditioning, full kitchen and bath. We camped all over Europe in a tent but we will never do that again. Glenn
That's not camping!! That's moving.

It's CAMPING if you go to a CAMPgrounds and build a CAMPfire and cook on a CAMPstove. So, some of us like to take along a real mattress and our own toilets. Whats wrong with that!?! 8-)

We have a 28ft Travel Trailer that has been destroyed in the tornado's. Waiting on insurance to finalize so we can purchase a new 32ft one. Call it what you want but we spend the entire summer weekends at the local lake. Fishing, cooking outside, enjoying the view, drinking beer around the campfire. But when it hits 100degrees in the middle of the day, we like a little AC.

To keep this about sewing, I'm planning on my latest 301 to become a permanent summer piece in my new camper when we get it. Hopefully by next weekend!

Have a great trip Glenn!

:mrgreen: