Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1627 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 627 1127 1527 1577 1617 1626 1627 1628 1637 1677 1727 ... LastLast
Results 40,651 to 40,675 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hey I scored a 227 tonight. The CL pic was so bad, I thought it was a 185, only tan. Anyone have any experience with these? I hope it cleans up well, but it is boonnne dry. The owners manual has little notes from the original owner on how to thread, etc. Also got some attachments....
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Got a call from a lady I bought a nice 401/403?? from last year. She had a Singer 15-90 or 91 in a trapezoid cabinet but wouldn't sell it at the time. The time is right and she kept my number. She didn't give me a price but said she'd be reasonable (I hope) but it would be cash plus some mechanicking (new word) on some of her latest sewing machine acquisitions. She has bought 4 new ones since I last saw her and she wants one that works so she can sew. I am excited about this but DH not so much. Oh well, he will live.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

My husband doesn't say anything when i bring home a new addition... though he may start referring to.SteveH as my "dealer" soon haha!

awww, now JennB ... I COULD just tell the folks around here first next time I find a sweet machine.......muhahaha..

I also re-homed 2x 15's with Cathy (Mizkaki) the other day so I'm making progress on "thinning the herd" of these newfangled electric dohickies

Steve,

And now my herd has grown again. OH the pain of it all. <VBG>

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I also re-homed 2x 15's with Cathy (Mizkaki) the other day so I'm making progress on "thinning the herd" of these newfangled electric dohickies
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    My enabler (daughter #4) just called. SA has a light green Kenmore.

I bought parts for 2 of my machines from a seller on Ebay. The side piece for the 1895 Singer treadle cabinet, its in much better shape than what's on my cabinet. Also the stitch regulator thumb screw for my 1914 Singer 115, its in great condition and not rusty at all(like the original). twobros2011 is the seller, they are easy to deal with and they packed my items very well and shipped quickly too.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I bought parts for 2 of my machines from a seller on Ebay. The side piece for the 1895 Singer treadle cabinet, its in much better shape than what's on my cabinet. Also the stitch regulator thumb screw for my 1914 Singer 115, its in great condition and not rusty at all(like the original). twobros2011 is the seller, they are easy to deal with and they packed my items very well and shipped quickly too.
    Sharon
    I have also donef business with twobros2011 and they are the best.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Hello All. I started a restoration on a Singer 66 that was in very poor condition. There was no saving the paint, it was seized up and all of the Nickel plated parts were rusty. Well, I have not started the paint yet but I got the parts back from the chrome plating shop. I thought that I would share. And yes, I had the entire handwheel chromed.
    ~G~

Name:  Singer 66 Chrome..jpg
Views: 500
Size:  1.10 MB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Hello All. I started a restoration on a Singer 66 that was in very poor condition. There was no saving the paint, it was seized up and all of the Nickel plated parts were rusty. Well, I have not started the paint yet but I got the parts back from the chrome plating shop. I thought that I would share. And yes, I had the entire handwheel chromed.
    ~G~

Name:  Singer 66 Chrome..jpg
Views: 500
Size:  1.10 MB
    Very pretty. That'll look sweet on the 66 when she's finished.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Ooooooo purty, shiny shiny

Joe

Wow, those are bright! It looks like they did a really good prep job (or you did)

I am curious why you chose chrome over nickle plating?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Wow, those are bright! It looks like they did a really good prep job (or you did)

I am curious why you chose chrome over nickle plating?
    Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Grant, I can't wait to see the rest of the show!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Grant, I can't wait to see the rest of the show!!!
    Miriam, I might need to make a Dust Cover for this machine when it is done. I made this one for a friend's Typewriter. I think I like it. Here is the sad 66 with bad paint but new chrome.
    ~G~

Name:  Dustcover.on.machine.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  1.00 MB

Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.~G~
    Makes sense then. That's cool. I have always (even when I was into restoring old cars) thought that chrome was too bright or cold looking (weird, I know). I like nickle though. I even had one of my first armor helms electroless nickle plated (it cost me a 12 pack of home-brewed beer) 15 years later is is still clean as a whistle. The electroless process leaves the surface less reflective, which would not be so helpful here.

Help! Identify this Treadle Machine

Name:  100_0091.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  1,021.8 KBCan anyone help me identify this machine I recently acquired. I cannot find any identifying markings on it anywhere.
    Thank you.

It's a Standard Vibrating Shuttle similar to the Minnesota L they made for Sears.

Jon

Blog Entries
    The 'green' Kenmore at SA was turquoise with the Kenmore in very large chrome letters. Not one I've seen before. Needs cleaning and oiling, but I bet it sews. It had a very low presser foot and was missing the snap on part. The slide plate was in terrible condition - all rough, but the machine was in good condition, just dirty. Hmmm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Hi! Does anyone happen to have a Brother 1681 machine? I am looking at one for a reasonable price but I don't have any Brothers (or brothers~~oldest of six girls!).
    Now that is one I don't have, I could fix you up with a different Brother though...

Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.
    ~G~
    Grant ... looks great, and I agree ... over the top - which was your aim.

You have me thinking sideways about something. My husband and I own a small manufacturing company - we make sowing machines (yes I spelled that right - they're for greenhouses). Our machines are mostly aluminum with black. For our 10th anniversary my husband is having some of the milled aluminum parts black anodized. I've seen the samples and they're lovely. So yeah - now I'm doing a sideways think about black anodized parts on a sewing machine ... hand wheel perhaps. Will have to ask my husband if it's possible - my knowledge of metallurgy is limited to spelling metallurgy.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Jenn, one day at a time. Don't push yourself. Just do what you can each day. Time does heal.

Sharon, congratulations on the sale of your FW. I didn't know you had a tan FW? I have 5 FW's, but not a tan one!

Steve, great job as usual!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Jenn, one day at a time. Don't push yourself. Just do what you can each day. Time does heal.

Sharon, congratulations on the sale of your FW. I didn't know you had a tan FW? I have 5 FW's, but not a tan one!

Steve, great job as usual!
    Nancy
    Nancy,
    Thanks! I've been trying thin the herd a bit.
    I bought my tan FW from Fred Switzer of Sun Catchers from League City,TX.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Grant ... looks great, and I agree ... over the top - which was your aim.

You have me thinking sideways about something. My husband and I own a small manufacturing company - we make sowing machines (yes I spelled that right - they're for greenhouses). Our machines are mostly aluminum with black. For our 10th anniversary my husband is having some of the milled aluminum parts black anodized. I've seen the samples and they're lovely. So yeah - now I'm doing a sideways think about black anodized parts on a sewing machine ... hand wheel perhaps. Will have to ask my husband if it's possible - my knowledge of metallurgy is limited to spelling metallurgy.
    I might be wanting to do that too. So many neat ideas. Anodizing is something I would love to try on a machine after this project, that is, if this project goes well. Maybe one of those 1950's flat black painted Singer 66's with anodizing the chrome to a Gunmetal color. Now that would be a cool looking Stealthy machine! Maybe one with some red or gold anodized pieces too. OH BOY! You got the wheels turning now!
    As far as the parts to be plated, anodizing needs aluminum to bond to it. Whereas Nickel or Chrome need steel. Hmmmm. Most Sewing Machine parts are Steel or Iron. Rarely did they do aluminum. Especially before WW2.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    I might be wanting to do that too. So many neat ideas. Anodizing is something I would love to try on a machine after this project, that is, if this project goes well. Maybe one of those 1950's flat black painted Singer 66's with anodizing the chrome to a Gunmetal color. Now that would be a cool looking Stealthy machine! Maybe one with some red or gold anodized pieces too. OH BOY! You got the wheels turning now!
    As far as the parts to be plated, anodizing needs aluminum to bond to it. Whereas Nickel or Chrome need steel. Hmmmm. Most Sewing Machine parts are Steel or Iron. Rarely did they do aluminum. Especially before WW2.
    ~G~
    Grant, I have enough crappy machines to experiment with on that one...