Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Nancy ~ the dimensions are 14 1/2" X 7". I really didn't know how to classify it because it has similar parts to several different models. Now that you point out the tension disk, I agree it's more like a 66. (Hmmm - makes me wonder what happened to my brain cells and eye sight when I turned 50??)

Judy
Well, that is a full size machine for sure!

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
Went garage saleing today, picked up a 404 with a desk type cabinet, accessories, orginal manual and Zig Zag with the cams and book, all in pretty good shape. Desk needs some work. $15 Gotta shop doing this someday.
Wow, you got a very good deal! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by BoJangles
did you see the FW on that same auction? It has a free arm!
No, I couldn't find the 222?
Nancy
Was it a "buy it now"? Those are hard to come by and ultra high priced, at least for my pocketbook.[/quote]

it was 699 and I don't see it anymore
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
I was wondering how you post in the vintage machine shop area?I have an opportunity to get a singer 29k2 it has a very long arm,just wanted to know if you can quilt a fmotion with it?I can find pictures but know info as to what it all can do.thank you for your help
Minnesota Newbie, welcome aboard! You already posted here! I don't know about a 29k2, but maybe someone else can help you!

Nancy

I see this did get answered!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
I saw on line that the 401G can be hooked up to a treadle because of the openings in the base - it would need a different balance wheel though - there is info on line:
German Singer 401G:
http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/index.htm

and

making it a treadle:
http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/401G-...d-Electric.htm

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to treadle mine - that would be the BOMB!! I wonder where to get a balance wheel like that? Could one be made?

more on the 400G series
Same website different page
http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/German-400.htm
Thanks for posting this information! Very interesting all the variations to the same machine.

I purchased a Singer 238k that I have in treadle now. It had option of belt drive motor or treadle. To set up for treadle, all I did was take the belt off the motor and set a treadle belt on the wheel that it came with ( balance wheel with groove for treadle belt). I never thought that I would possibly need to change the wheels because of gears. After reading this blog, I started to wonder if that is needed for my machine too, even if it has a wheel with groove. But if so, too late now since the machine works in the treadle with the wheel that I have.

Thanks for posting this information. It would be fun to find a 401 to treadle, but if you can't locate a 401 then you may want to hunt for a Singer 328K. Have fun!
I have a 401G and she would treadle but I need the balance wheel with the groove I wonder if the 238k balance wheel would fit... None of the grooved wheels I have around will fit the shank.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Wow You guys have been posting away!! I just hopped on and I had to read 20 something pages. I have been in the studio working away trying to get a few more machines done so I can get caught up as such and I found out my A/C went out. Well the fan motor is toast so I have to pull it out and get another motor for it and then put it back in. But it got toasty in there to say the least.

So since it will be raining tomorrow I am going to install my new ceiling fan and get a few more machines torn down ready for a repaint.

I will be glad when I can come in here and spend some time with you guys I really miss being in here. But I have to take care of business first before I can play. :|

Billy
Billy, maybe things will settle down some day around your house and you won't have to be repairing the house all the time! Geeze, after going through all the weird weather you guys had and all the trees, etc., down - how dare the A/C decide to go out now too!

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
While trying to pass the time in the hospital, following a total knee replacement, I kept-up as much of my computer routine as possible, which meant watching CL in several near-by cities. Lo and behold, a Singer 301 for $150. I promptly e-mailed, explained my situation, and asked the seller if the machine could be held while I arranged for someone to pick it up in my behalf. Multiple e-mails to seller and friend and finally got a message from the friend, "Got it."

I'm home now, and can't wait to see the friend and the new machine. I can do the upper body happy dance, the lower bod will have to wait a while.
I am sorry to hear you had to have surgery, but everyone I know that had a knee replacement wished they hadn't waited so long to get it done!

On a happy note, congratulations for the new 301!

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 AM

BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.
Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.
Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

Nancy
Yeah, hers is the cute little bugger. She might know more about them than I do. My sister is in Arizona and she might be able to be of more help than I would be. I worked on hers a year ago.

When I work on one I find... the first thing I do is tear it down and clean old dead oil out of any moving part with kerosene - careful of anything plastic, belts, wires & motors - OLD DEAD OIL is probably a lot of the problem - don't force anything to move until you do that - any rust? Go over it as many times as it takes. Then reassemble and new SEWING MACHINE oil only. I don't know if that machine has any plastic parts but always look and see if they are broken and be careful when cleaning them. Are the belts ok?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm
Monica ~ Love your quilt! And would you mind sharing how you sew your binding on? My mother makes round pot holders but she does not like putting the binding on so she deligates that task to me. Your decorative stitches would look great and might save me some time :)

Judy