Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Looks like a real nice machine for $50.00. I would get it.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Billy the weather channel says that you have a very good chance of having a tornado touch down where you are. Please let us know if you are okay or not. Kathie
Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Emmah, Very Cool indeed! You ought to send some photo's to Krylon ~ they might decide to use it in a commercial spot. That would be way cool :) "Give it the Krylon Touch!"

Judy
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Well, I am up and walking, (slowly) but the 301 is still a little over an hour away. The other scores are 1 new treadle, two new cabinet machines and a portable, all still in the van, so I haven't gotten the numbers to run date checks. Two are a brand with which I am unfamiliar, made in Japan, and still old iron beauties. Now, I've just made arrangements with a seller another hour and a half from here for two treadle heads, to go into the two empty treadle bases I have. He'll be coming into town on the 6th, and will deliver, so I won't have hands on for them for a while either. The 4 machines cost a total of $140, and got a zillion attachments and Grist attachment kits, including button hole. The two heads are $50 for the pair.

Insurance does not cover the new machines, even though they were "hospital acquired affections."[/quote]

Hey Olebat,
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! Are you a hospital person? Your hospital acquired affections made me LOL tonight. It's all about HAI's now and reimbursements - sounds as if you might have heard about them a time or two! Like your sense of humor!!
Cindy (a Lab rat)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)[/quote]

Wow!! I'm impressed and inspired! Green is my favorite color - can I trade you for the exact machine sitting in my garage - still lacking her spa treatment??

Cindy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM

quiltergary

Got the same cabinet and machine at a garage sale about a month ago. Mine has many scatches in the top and had to do the spa treatment on the machine, but machine is running fine now, am missing the spool pin. Cabinet top needs a once over. No attachments or book came with the one I have. Mine was marked for $10, so didn't have lot invested. In nice shape I would think $50 is a fair price.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I got the Singer 758 to work again. I played around with the bobbin area again. I re-cleaned it and found a bobbin that didn't look warped to use. I'm happy to get it working! Now back to my treadles and next project.
Do you need bobbins for your touch and sew? I had a 750 touch and sew I have alot of bobbins if you need them.
Thank you, but no thank you! I don't plan on sewing with this machine. I'm checking if the person that gave it to me wants it back. She couldn't get it to sew for her, only bird's nest mess in bobbin area for her each time she tried to use it.
She may want it back now that I got it to sew.
Ok just thought I would ask. Also those bobbins screw on and off so you can take the thread out easier. It may be that it isn't screwed on right. Just a thought.

:)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
Fun and games... inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape and taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
That machine looks absolutely stunning, Emmah. Superb work. ~ Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
....Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
Emmah, you did such a great job! Now, you're saying you just sprayed that on? Have you ever done metal paint jobs before? Love the color.

Makes me think I should look more closely at beater machines I see listed for sale. Cool job. :-D
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Insurance does not cover the new machines, even though they were "hospital acquired affections."
Hey Olebat,
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! Are you a hospital person? Your hospital acquired affections made me LOL tonight. It's all about HAI's now and reimbursements - sounds as if you might have heard about them a time or two! Like your sense of humor!!
Cindy (a Lab rat)[/quote]
Cindy, you guessed it. I worked L&D for close to 20 years. I worked other areas of hospitals, out patient clinic, ER's and ran a well woman clinic. Hospital acquired infections were bad news, they still are. Although I've been long retired from nursing, my husband is still out there, a Family Nurse Practitioner. The office clerks have to do wallet biopsies before he can see the patients.

I'm not one for pain meds, even with this knee replacement, so I kept a clear head and had fun while I could, I had good staff and therapists. Laughter is the best medicine. Finding all those machines (7) didn't hurt either. It's my piggy bank which will need the pain meds.