Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Any interested in refurbishing a black 301A? Three hours left on this one. I'd tell the seller to pitch the case and pack the machine carefully. My 301 shipped very well. The black one even has a buttonholer. Currently $31 with shipping at $15.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Singer-S...item1e63e1249e

Okay, time to get off ebay. I just found a good looking 201 for $168 with no shipping. I'm out of here.
Are you trying to enable all of us?????? :lol:
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Sure. Too many other expenses for me right now, so I'll live vicariously through all of you. If a 1950s White shows up, then I'll rethink my resolve.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Are you trying to enable all of us?????? :lol:
ROFL ~ we're all enablers to each other in some way or another ... machines ... fabric stash ... VSMs ... quilt patterns and ideas ... LOL
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Mpeters, here is some information on the different shuttles and bobbins drivers. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_drivers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_drivers[/url]

We had Transverse shuttles (looked like an open boat) before the Vibrating shuttle (bullet shaped). Those both became obsolete when people really took to the Rotary and Oscillating type bobbin drivers. The modern machines use the round type hook/race drivers because there is virtually no shaking nor walking like a vibrating, transverse shuttle had. Although, I think if you do a search of the history of the vibrating shuttle you will see there were still a few machines being produced with that bobbin driver system up until the 1950's or 1960's.

Nancy
Thanks for the info. Really good reading. It's hard trying to keep them all straight in my head though!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
We got Godzilla running pretty smooth, the back rubber bushing thingy has a flat spot, so I gotta get a new one tomorrow...
Fabric Whisperer, I meant to ask this the other day, but by ". . . . . . the back rubber bushing thingy has a flat spot. . . . . ." Are you referring to the friction drive tire? I don't remember if that machine has a friction drive, but I am guessing it probably does. It looks like the machines made with friction drive systems. The friction drive is a little tire that goes from the motor to the wheel to run the machine. Those are very easy to find on E-bay and different shops, but you don't just replace the tire itself - you have to replace the whole little unit that attaches to the motor.

Did you get a new one?
Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Sorry double post!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

yes, Nancy, that's the part ~ I have a Singer Guy down the road from me, he's been servicing for 55 years... I've sent him an email, waiting to hear back. Also asked him if he's got the thread guides I need to build my invention to make 7-thread cording easier... and extra feet for my 15 clone :)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
yes, Nancy, that's the part ~ I have a Singer Guy down the road from me, he's been servicing for 55 years... I've sent him an email, waiting to hear back. Also asked him if he's got the thread guides I need to build my invention to make 7-thread cording easier... and extra feet for my 15 clone :)
That sounds very interesting! :-D
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I've been out of the VSMS for a few weeks and will never get caught up with all your posts!

Now I'm thinking I should have bought it so I could say I own the ugliest sewing machine ever built. It's one of these, but in much worse shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1948-Ken...item43a732933e
Hey Sewbiz!!! Nice to hear from you. And you're right...that machine would be right up there on the "Ugliest" list!! I don't think you did wrong passing it up!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Glenn
Got ticks!
Now that is the test of a true camper - ticks!!!
Tommie
Oh YUCK!!! I love camping, but hate ticks & fleas!!