Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1684 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 684 1184 1584 1634 1674 1683 1684 1685 1694 1734 1784 ... LastLast
Results 42,076 to 42,100 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I have to share this. I have been working on a Centennial 201-2 almost every day for about two weeks now. It is in for a restoration. I am almost done with it and yesterday I was to the point of where I was able to test run it for the first time. This is from my page this morning.

THE SQUEAK!!! I finished the wiring yesterday and got it back together enough to do a test run of the machine. There was a squeak when it ran at slow speeds. I looked and looked. Squeak. I oiled and greased everything again. Squeak. I used Tri-Flow. Squeak. I started taking it apart again. Squeak. Took more things apart and I still was getting that Squeak. I couldn't even tell where it was really coming from. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak.
    I finally found the squeak. The wire cable that runs inside the machine for the light was rubbing on the upper shaft making it squeak. I was able to make it stop and ran the machine. Sweet, sweet music it is!
    I wanted to hear the machine again this morning and, Squeak. The squeak came back. I have some more work to do on it today.
    ~G~

LOL, thank you for sharing an Oh so familiar story.... we are not alone.

Blog Entries
    Some times the machine with some tiny little puzzling problem ends up being the most gone over machine. It should be a really nice machine when you are done.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Some times the machine with some tiny little puzzling problem ends up being the most gone over machine. It should be a really nice machine when you are done.
    You are right Miriam. The cable/wire went from the light to the electric terminal through the machine. It was reverberating throughout the whole machine. I was chasing a ghost. I couldn't tell for the life of me where it was coming from. I re-lubed everything on it at least twice and saw a couple of "iffy" places along the way and got them even cleaner or shinier too. I posted a before and an after picture in the Vintage/Antique photos section. You can see them here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-123.html
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Grant, I saw your post on FB - WOW that looks good. I have had machines that I had some stupid thing I had to go over everything over and over. What a machine when it was done!

Grant, I saw your post on FB - WOW that looks good. I have had machines that I had some stupid thing I had to go over everything over and over. What a machine when it was done!
    This baffled me. It was like the sound was moving inside the machine. First it was over here. Then it was over there. I had oil and Triflow dripping out of the bottom. I couldn't find it. But when I did find it, it all made sense. Stinking new wire cable! Well, it is fixed now and is sewing beautifully once again. So quiet, smooth, and it can go so slow that just the take up lever is moving at a snail's pace. It can also get up and go too! They are impressive machines.
    And yes, I see you now and then on there too. Thank you. I am not going to post all of the finished pictures until after the reveal to the owner/caretaker of this machine.
    ~G~

What does it mean when you turn a machine over by hand and the balance wheel vibrates?

Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    What does it mean when you turn a machine over by hand and the balance wheel vibrates?
    Does it make any difference when you turn the stop motion screw?

What machine? Have you done anything to it recently?
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Does it make any difference when you turn the stop motion screw?

What machine? Have you done anything to it recently?
    Did you get it at the GW auction?

Did you get it at the GW auction?
    I don't know what this is Miriam! LOL.

....Just about to get it out again now. Stupidly put it in the kids' room but they're asleep now.
    It's the Singer 328. Very weird feeling. Haven't tried the stop motion screw, I'll do that first. I was following your advice Miriam, just to see if it turned over nicely without powering it up! Eek.

Blog Entries
    Goodwill has an on line auction. I was kind of joking. The machines I've gotten there lately have been pretty much in need of more than a good cleaning and oiling. I have learned a LOT that I probably would not have learned if I hadn't gotten them. The auction is: www.shopgoodwill.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia miller View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a new member and found your forum a wealth of knowledge. I just purchased a "B. Eldredge" treadle machine yesterday and have tried and tried (and tried some more) to find information on it on the web, with little success. What I have been able to find was that it is a model 44, which was patterned off of the Willcox & Gibbs model 64. Can someone please give me an estimate on when the Eldredge model 44 automatic chain stitch machine came into production? From what I have found it looks like it was between 1869 and 1890 but any help you can provide on the machine, model, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I am adding some pictures of her. Thank you! Attachment 424079Attachment 424080
    Hello Alicia welcome aboard! I think your post got skipped! I don't see an answer to your question about the really cute little B Eldredge! That machine looks really similar to the Wilcox and Gibbs! I have 2 W&G's, but I have never seen a B Eldredge! Miz Johnny, Cathy do you guys know anything about this cute little machine?

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    Well... turns out the answer is a truckload of lint (those fluffy bunnies had been busily breeding in there!!) and big hunks of compressed lint through the bobbin area. Still a tiny bit of vibration when turning the handwheel after the 'big clean' so I took the whole thing apart and found this weird brown/amber solid stuff all through the stop motion mechanism. Cleaned all of that out and now it's fine.

Miriam, it's a quiet enough machine when you turn it by hand. But BY GOLLY it's noisy when using the motor!! I don't even know if a "tractor" is a strong enough analogy!!

The auction is: www.shopgoodwill.com
    Wow! 4 Featherweights and a cool green grasshopper-ish Elna

I didn't get your message, but it will be great to see you both at the TOGA! I'm having some family "issues" here, so am just hoping I make it there myself. I especially enjoy Thursday--we generally spend the day sewing, working on machines, taking "field trips" to the fabric stores, etc. I have a coverlet I need to finish and a machine I want to get cleaned up, so MAYBE I can stay out of the fabric stores?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Johnny did you get my msg. I am bringing TX Jan to the toga, you remember her from this board and her machine clean ups. Hope to see you soon
    Skip
    Miz Johnny

Next time--it's always in July. If there's ever anything else close by, I'll let you know.
    I'm bummed that I missed Oxford TOGA.
    Miz Johnny

I had one, but sold it last year. Or it might have been a National--can't remember for sure! It had beautiful grape cluster decals. Anyway, I have heard both that National made the machine under license from W & G and that it was made by W & G and badged. I am inclined to believe the latter, as it simply makes more sense. I haven't looked at the pictures yet, but will do so. I don't know that I have any information on dates, except that W & G production dates are from 1876 through 1947, and that National continued to use the Eldredge name on some of it's models. I don't know that the serial numbers are the same as W & G, but will ask around and see if I can get any information on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Hello Alicia welcome aboard! I think your post got skipped! I don't see an answer to your question about the really cute little B Eldredge! That machine looks really similar to the Wilcox and Gibbs! I have 2 W&G's, but I have never seen a B Eldredge! Miz Johnny, Cathy do you guys know anything about this cute little machine?

Nancy
    Miz Johnny

I had a Minnesota A before and it was one of the prettiest machines I have had. As of today, I am the new caretaker of a Minnesota H in a parlor treadle cabinet. I posted a couple of pix of it here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-124.html
    I don't suppose anyone might be able to direct me to a place where I can find a manual or at least a threading diagram for this machine could they?
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I don't suppose anyone might be able to direct me to a place where I can find a manual or at least a threading diagram for this machine could they? ~G~
    Not on a first pass, but ISMACS says it is a "replacement for the "Davis Minnesota H". made by Domestic.

just thought I would share this Quilting news.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/commem...160600145.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    just thought I would share this Quilting news.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/commem...160600145.html
    Steve, thanks for sharing the link. It is fascinating reading. Makes me want to go see them in Paducah with an added stop at Hancocks of Paducah.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I had a Minnesota A before and it was one of the prettiest machines I have had. As of today, I am the new caretaker of a Minnesota H in a parlor treadle cabinet. I posted a couple of pix of it here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-124.html

~G~
    Grant beautiful 201-2 Centenial! You did an amazing job as usual resurrecting that machine! It is fitting that you spent 100 hours working on that machine! Also, your Minnesota H is gorgeous!

Geeze, I was in the photo shop and couldn't tell which shop I was in -- there is a lot of chatter in that shop now!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant beautiful 201-2 Centenial! You did an amazing job as usual resurrecting that machine! It is fitting that you spent 100 hours working on that machine! Also, your Minnesota H is gorgeous!

Geeze, I was in the photo shop and couldn't tell which shop I was in -- there is a lot of chatter in that shop now!

Nancy
    Thank you Nancy. I didn't even think about that coincidence. That is good!
    I am cleaning up the Minnesota H today. The cabinet is in as good of condition as the machine was or better! My wife had told me "no more come in until some go out" a few machines ago. I thought that I might be sleeping on the couch when she found out that I picked up another one. When My wife saw it though, and after I had told her the price, she sighed and said that she agreed that I had to get it. No couch for ME! She even remarked how pretty the cabinet is. I might just wind up keeping this one for now. YAY!
    I noticed the chatter too. I try to play by the rules and post there and talk about it here. Sometimes I forget and sometimes I respond as briefly as I can there if necessary or if I think it will help others.
    One last thing. I may be on the couch yet. I didn't tell my wife that I also got a Necchi BU in a cabinet yesterday too.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-125.html
    Time to find a Pizza delivery that will deliver to my doghouse. Just in case...
    ~G~

I don't think I've used any of the fabric from my last trip to H of P, and that's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time ago, but would love to see these quilts. I may have to make a field trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Steve, thanks for sharing the link. It is fascinating reading. Makes me want to go see them in Paducah with an added stop at Hancocks of Paducah.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    I don't think I've used any of the fabric from my last trip to H of P, and that's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time ago, but would love to see these quilts. I may have to make a field trip.
    We're supposed to use the fabric we buy???????????????? That's what I've been dong wrong all along. Even hubby said it might be nice to go see the quilts (yes, he's running a fever but should recover nicely) as a road trip for just the two of us.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options