Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sew wishful
I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....
Randa, I am a couple pages behind so you may have already been told this, but do you realize that blue around the badge is for the 'centennial' model. Even though Singer started in 1851 and their Centennial models were 1951, they started appearing in the mid range of the AJ series in 1950. Congratulations, what sweet daughters you have!

Nancy
I thought that's what that meant, but was unsure...thought it was just FW that got the centennial badge. Oooh, I'm so much more excited now!!! Can't wait to share the news with the girls!!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Congrats Randa, I see you have the 'my pages' figured out. You are most welcome. :-D
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Way Behind on all the pages to read and catch up on! I guess I know what I will be doing the rest of the evening!

I did pick up a nice little 66 last weekend, pictures to come later.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Garage sale find. These Kenmore attachments are new, some still wrapped. Could not resist getting them, even though I don't have a machine they will fit on.
Tommie
Tommie will the attachments fit the Janomes? Kathie
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
wow.. I have 23 pages to read. But first... let me share some GOOD news....

So I drove my MIL out to do some thrift store shopping today. We got some odds/ends and started home. My MIL said, "Isn't there a little thrift store in the next shopping center". We pulled in. Went into the shop. Sitting RIGHT in front, on the floor with a bunch of baskets was a little dusty black case. I immed. squatted down to look... yup. I ask the man at the counter, "how much is this old sewing machine?" He said, "$10". And I said, "I'll take it!!!!

So I am now the proud owner of a Singer 221 Featherweight, in a nice case, with attachments and manual and the original 1964 bill of sale. Machine is used, but not much. Well loved, and cared for. Professionally serviced, new cord at some point. Musty, dusty, beginnings of mold spots and the usual 221 thread snarl.... that's it. WOW. Happy dance! I'll post pictures when I get it cleaned up.
WOW I think you got the deal of the decade.

:mrgreen:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by tomilu
Garage sale find. These Kenmore attachments are new, some still wrapped. Could not resist getting them, even though I don't have a machine they will fit on.
Tommie
Tommie will the attachments fit the Janomes? Kathie
I don't know, Kathie. They are high shank.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I picked up another 201-2 last night. Ser # AH635142 date 5/20/48. The man said it started breaking thread so he just bought a MW instead of having it fixed. I wanted to tell him he made a mistake but was afraid he would not sell me the 201. It is in a nice shaker style cabinet that does not need refinshing. I was happy.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/art/2407660615.html

This a picture of the machine I got last night.
Very pretty machine and cabinet. Hope you enjoy her.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM

So I drove my MIL out to do some thrift store shopping today. We got some odds/ends and started home. My MIL said, "Isn't there a little thrift store in the next shopping center". We pulled in. Went into the shop. Sitting RIGHT in front, on the floor with a bunch of baskets was a little dusty black case. I immed. squatted down to look... yup. I ask the man at the counter, "how much is this old sewing machine?" He said, "$10". And I said, "I'll take it!!!!

So I am now the proud owner of a Singer 221 Featherweight, in a nice case, with attachments and manual and the original 1964 bill of sale. Machine is used, but not much. Well loved, and cared for. Professionally serviced, new cord at some point. Musty, dusty, beginnings of mold spots and the usual 221 thread snarl.... that's it. WOW. Happy dance! I'll post pictures when I get it cleaned up.
I like how you asked "how much is this old sewing machine?" I'm sure that if you had asked "how much is this 'Featherweight" or "antique' machine he'd not said $10
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM

[quote=Crossstitcher]

How Awesome!!!
:thumbup:
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leota

I like how you asked "how much is this old sewing machine?" I'm sure that if you had asked "how much is this 'Featherweight" or "antique' machine he'd not said $10
How true Leota!! It never pays to show how much you know about something like that...act a little dumb!! LOL

Kwendt...want to add my congratulations, lucky you!! I'm watching an FW closing in a few hours on eBay, it's missing the pedal/power cable/bobbin case/attachments/etc so will depend if someone pushes up the price. Not holding my breath but you've given me hope that good things do happen.

The Minnesota is nice too...so many great, old machines still around it's good to see them being rescued.

Bronwyn ;-)