Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM

I have an opportunity to purchase a treadle machine that has been converted to electric. Does anyone know if it can be undone and returned to a manual use machine? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome....thanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet and is something I've not seen before. Any guesses as to it's age? Just curious.
I really like that cabinet Chris. Good find. :)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet and is something I've not seen before. Any guesses as to it's age? Just curious.
I really like that cabinet Chris. Good find. :)
Thanks. I like it myself and Glenn has given me some good info on it.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
I didn't know any other way to get the pictures on this thread.I finally got my pictures loaded into my computer. Here are pictures of my new machine. By the serial number it was built in 1897. What model number is it? It came with a drawer full of attatchments. Thanks for looking
Lori, that is a Singer 9W. Singer didn't take over Wheeler & Wilson until 1905 so your machine can't be newer than 1905. In fact like Monica said the 9W's were only suppose to have been produced between 1909 and 1913. The confusion may be the serial number. When Singer took over Wheeler and Wilson in 1905, Singer used the Wheeler and Wilson parts for a short time, until they were gone. So some of the serial numbers are very confusing. According to the serial number on my Singer 9W - 3171412 - my machine is also pre 1900 - 1879-, but I know that is not true. My Wheeler and Wilson is from 1905 - 1910. There is a picture of my machine on page 265 here. I love that machine, it is so much fun to use, but remember the wheel goes the opposite of other Singer's - away from you. It also takes some practice to learn to thread the machine. Also, the 9W's like the Wheeler & Wilson machines use a special needle no longer in production - a 127 X 1. You have a beautiful machine. Those 9w's and the Wheeler and Wilson's are some of my favorite treadles!

Nancy

Actually the 9W's that had a serial number that started with a 'W' were suppose to be made about 1911. The 9W's without the letter were serial numbers taken from the Wheeler & Wilson factory that Singer just bought out. Those numbers were not recorded with Singer, they are not sequential Singer numbers, and there is no way to date those machines except by using history. But those numbers were the ones Singer used prior to the issue of the numbers starting with 'W's so your machine is somewhere between 1905 and 1911.

Again if you want to look at my machines, my 9W is on page 265, and my actual Wheeler and Wilson is on page 419.

thanks for the information, my serial number doesn't have a w in front of it, it is 3218618. The Singer 9W it is then! If they no longer make needles forit where can I get them?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I decided since I have so many machines and things are done differently on them (threading, bobbin insertion, etc) I'm gonna make up a index card for each one stating size of needle, how it threads, and any other thing to aide my memory in the correct running of the machine. Why try to remember it all? My brain is full to the brim now, lol
That is a great idea! So much easier than looking through the manual each time! :lol:
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM

I too bought a Singer Red eye today thinking I could use the part I needed for a 127 but not sure it will fit. My needle bar needs a part in the top of the machine that makes the needle bar go up and down. Does anyone have any info on where I can find this part. Not sure of the name. Thanks for the help. Also Is the SRE a 66-2?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
I just bought this from shopgoodwill.com ($8!! and shipping isn't too bad) -- needs a good cleaning for sure - the idea is to put and hand crank on her.
so, would someone mind posting (yet again) where to find model info on white sewing machines?
Reproduction handcranks fit Singer and a few machines (mostly Japanese from 40's and 50's) based on Singer style. Original HC's are hard to come by. I've never seen one for a White FR.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by fractured prisms
I have an opportunity to purchase a treadle machine that has been converted to electric. Does anyone know if it can be undone and returned to a manual use machine? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome....thanks.
If the wheel, pitman and treadle are intact, it can be converted back. If not, you would either have to hunt for the parts or for another set of irons.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

I just got the new belt and cord for my 99 in the mail - it's all polished up, everything is installed and sews like a dream!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
. . . The Singer 9W it is then! If they no longer make needles forit where can I get them?
Here's some information from Kevin Pinkerton, who has done a lot of research on alternative needles for our old machines, and has given permission to pass on this information:

--- On Mon, 8/23/10, Kevin Pinkerton wrote:
>
> Certainly, the information is free for anyone. You
> hopefully have something from me already right? I have
> recently bought several flavors of MY1014 needles and I can
> add the following:
>
> There is an ebay seller who I have worked with who sells
> Organ, Schmetz and GB MY1014 needles. I had him order me
> some additional sizes and he still has some of them for
> sale. I told him about these needles and suggested he add
> some verbiage to them on ebay. So you will see references to
> Wheeler & Wilson 127x1 needles with Schmetz needles in
> the photo on ebay. I suggested that he offer them in lots of
> 10 needles. So he has done that. But he has also listed them
> in larger quantities, but appeared to set the price higher
> under the antique listed needles in larger quantities. He
> does not reference the MY1014 needle identification in the
> particular needles he has listed for Wheeler & Wilson,
> but that is what they are. But, he still has the same
> needles listed under MY1014. His prices are very reasonable,
> and to be honest, there are very few other places to find
> these needles on the internet.
>
> I have bought some Organ MY1014 needles from CTSUSA.com and
> these are fine, and cheap, but they are slightly ball
> point.
>
> I have bought some Schmetz needles from the ebay seller and
> they are very sharp point. I have bought some GB needles
> from the same ebay seller and they are slightly ball point.
> He also has some Organ needles listed and he says that they
> do not have the BP on the label so he thinks that they are
> not ball point. I would tend to agree with him, but I have
> not bought any of them yet. I have a pretty good stockpile
> of MY1014 needles now.
>
> The MY1014 needles will work in the W&W #9, W&W #8
> and the Weed Family Favorite #3.
>
> I cannot tell you what the difference is, if there is any,
> between MY1014A and MY1014B.